United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:15 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He’s got to throw De Gea to the lions. He has to show that performances like that will not be tolerated.

We need Heaton to come in and be a Les Sealey for the 2022’s
100%

Would be a huge statement. if not, he's admitting he will tolerate mediocrity, something that has been happening at this club for too long.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:19 PM
AK14

Quote:
He’s got to throw De Gea to the lions. He has to show that performances like that will not be tolerated.

We need Heaton to come in and be a Les Sealey for the 2022’s
Yup.

Shaw too and we have his replacement at the club already so no excuse.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:22 PM
Dr Stranger

I’m hopeful the half time hooking and subsequent promising performance of Malacia spells end of an automatic start for that useless fat #@&%! Luke Shaw.

Really feel for Ten Hag. He’s in a horrible situation of needing to stamp his authority, but also needing to keep these absolute Marys onside. He can’t drop them all at once and if he’s getting no more signings, then he needs them.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:29 PM
dunk

I didn’t see the game, so not sure why Shaw is getting shit, he wasn’t at fault for any of the goals

The midfield is just shit and responsible for our inability to compete.

The forward line is shit, but aren’t exactly backed by a solid foundation behind them.

The defence is straining covering for the midfield while being undermined by the @#%&! behind them.

We need a GK, 2 proper midfielders and a couple of forwards in the next fortnight, or the miracle of all the above emerging from the youth ranks miraculously at training tomorrow

Kovar is a big lad, can he kick it?

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:32 PM
jem

usual suspects say drop de gea and shaw.

10h needs to redesign the team. his first two efforts have been horrendous. play a proper midfield three, for starters. don't tell me "we don't have any midfielders". and I don't mean lindelof, quiggler. but that is still a better idea than fred and eriksen.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:33 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I didn’t see the game, so not sure why Shaw is getting shit, he wasn’t at fault for any of the goals

The midfield is just shit and responsible for our inability to compete.

The forward line is shit, but aren’t exactly backed by a solid foundation behind them.

The defence is straining covering for the midfield while being undermined by the @#%&! behind them.

We need a GK, 2 proper midfielders and a couple of forwards in the next fortnight, or the miracle of all the above emerging from the youth ranks miraculously at training tomorrow

Kovar is a big lad, can he kick it?
Shaw wasn’t directly at fault, he was just his usual sleepy, stupid self. Inadequate at both ends of the pitch. Malacia showed a lot more intent with everything he did second half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

10h needs to redesign the team. his first two efforts have been horrendous. play a proper midfield three, for starters. don't tell me "we don't have any midfielders". and I don't mean lindelof, quiggler. but that is still a better idea than fred and eriksen.
Because we need to drop De Gea and Shaw.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:33 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Who are the ‘midfielders’ jem?

Don’t say Garner ffs

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:39 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’m hopeful the half time hooking and subsequent promising performance of Malacia spells end of an automatic start for that useless fat #@&%! Luke Shaw.

Really feel for Ten Hag. He’s in a horrible situation of needing to stamp his authority, but also needing to keep these absolute Marys onside. He can’t drop them all at once and if he’s getting no more signings, then he needs them.
There is no keeping them onside. Ole did everything to champion them and support them and they still did it. To mr £#%&!ing cuddly club legend Ole. They'll have no hesitation doing it to EtH.

He has to stamp his authority and be fearless of the repercussions. It's the only way he can win. Mou tried it but the board backed the players. If the club make the same mistake again then there's no fixing it.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
There is no keeping them onside. Ole did everything to champion them and support them and they still did it. To mr £#%&!ing cuddly club legend Ole. They'll have no hesitation doing it to EtH.

He has to stamp his authority and be fearless of the repercussions. It's the only way he can win. Mou tried it but the board backed the players. If the club make the same mistake again then there's no fixing it.
Oh, I agree they’ll end up shafting him, but from a ETH point of view, he’s got to work with what he has and believe that he can get the best out of them.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:48 PM
Lok

Quote:
Oh, I agree they’ll end up shafting him, but from a ETH point of view, he’s got to work with what he has and believe that he can get the best out of them.
But that's the point: he doesn't.

He didn't have to let Henderson go. He didn't have to sign a midget centre back. He didn't have to name Maguire as his captain. He doesn't have to persist with Shaw. He could play Varane. He could play the kids and gain credit and time from the fans.

These are all his choices.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:52 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

He didn't have to let Henderson go. He didn't have to sign a midget centre back. He didn't have to name Maguire as his captain. He doesn't have to persist with Shaw. He could play Varane. He could play the kids and gain credit and time from the fans.

Agreed.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

Sorry, but that’s fanciful. Even the hardest-nosed manager doesn’t drop half the team for a bunch of kids after two games. It just doesn’t happen.

Dunk said it elsewhere, but we’re going to have to phase this squad out. Some of it can and will happen naturally. Varane will be back in soon enough if Maguire and Martinez don’t click. Malacia will get the nod ahead of shaw. Rashford will be dropped for Martial or Elanga (or a new forward). 1 or 2 of these may happen this week.

Problem is, 3/4 of this squad is inadequate. We needed 5 new signings minimum and even then it’s going to take 2-3 windows. We haven’t even done the basics of this window.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:56 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

I don’t think he had a choice with Henderson based on what Henderson himself said.

Martinez is getting pelters but has hardly been the problem and will only get better. He needed to bring someone in to be ‘his man’ this is the guy and he’s not been here a month yet.

Where is Lindelof btw? Did he make the bench yesterday?

Unread 14-08-2022, 01:01 PM
Lok

Quote:
Sorry, but that’s fanciful. Even the hardest-nosed manager doesn’t drop half the team for a bunch of kids after two games. It just doesn’t happen.

Dunk said it elsewhere, but we’re going to have to phase this squad out. Some of it can and will happen naturally. Varane will be back in soon enough if Maguire and Martinez don’t click. Malacia will get the nod ahead of shaw. Rashford will be dropped for Martial or Elanga (or a new forward). 1 or 2 of these may happen this week.

Problem is, 3/4 of this squad is inadequate. We needed 5 new signings minimum and even then it’s going to take 2-3 windows. We haven’t even done the basics of this window.
2 games? Didn't you watch last season? What is the point of sticking with the same players who keep letting you down time and time again? It's the definition of insanity.

He could easily play a team consisting of the new signings, a sprinkling of the youth and the few at the club who haven't massively let us down. We might finish mid-table but we're going to anyway. Then bring in players who have a bit of fight in them and the qualities we need.

There is literally no point playing Rashford, Maguire, Shaw etc... Nothing is going to magically change with them.

Honestly; would you rather see Rashford or Garnacho? It's an easy answer every time.

Unread 14-08-2022, 01:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
2 games? Didn't you watch last season? What is the point of sticking with the same players who keep letting you down time and time again? It's the definition of insanity.

He could easily play a team consisting of the new signings, a sprinkling of the youth and the few at the club who haven't massively let us down. We might finish mid-table but we're going to anyway. Then bring in players who have a bit of fight in them and the qualities we need.

There is literally no point playing Rashford, Maguire, Shaw etc... Nothing is going to magically change with them.

Honestly; would you rather see Rashford or Garnacho? It's an easy answer every time.
Again, there’s a distinction between what I want to see as a fan and what he has to do as coach. I agree with you. I don’t think these players will turn it around. I would rather see Garnacho, but we can think like that. ETH can’t. He’s a coach with a set of players in front of him that he has to work with. He’ll have an idea of what they’re like from previous seasons, but he didn’t manage them then. They didn’t directly let him down. And as I say, every manager does this. No manager changes half the squad in the first few weeks when they’ve signed only three players.

And I’m sure we will see changes as the season progresses. I expect us to sign one or two and I expect to see some of the players letting us down now to lose their place to the direct replacements currently in the squad. If we get 3-4 months in and he’s still picking the same 11 and they’re making the same errors, then that’s on him.

Unread 14-08-2022, 02:43 PM
dunk

Good.

Unread 14-08-2022, 02:55 PM
jem

Quote:
Who are the ‘midfielders’ jem?

Don’t say Garner ffs
um..... ok, you got me.

mcfred in a two doesn't work. individually, none of fred, mct or garner is good enough for united. however, in order to pick a more balanced team, they should all play.

do we have better players? yes. do we have better midfielders? no.

martinez is meant to be able play dm, too.

the point is.... you can't just play your best players. eriksen, bruno, ronaldo, rashford, sancho, martial.... have to be rotated.

similarly, if we are going to play ronaldo (we shouldn't), we need players who can cross accurately and quickly. not to play on the break. however good ronaldo is (currently, more dead than eriksen), if we want to play some kind of pressing and fast-breaking game, he will be a passenger. can he play sweeper?

10h needs to get mct and garner to grow a pair. each.

Quote:
we had two thirds possession, double the passes and 20% higher pass accuracy. of course they ran more.

our headless chickens can run faster and further, but..... still no clucks given.

Unread 14-08-2022, 02:55 PM
dunk

Unread 14-08-2022, 02:57 PM
ZiggyStardust

I think we knew this year has been relegation form so far

If this goes on much longer and we don’t make serious changes in terms of ins and outs then this could descend into a death spiral

Unread 14-08-2022, 02:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I think we knew this year has been relegation form so far

If this goes on much longer and we don’t make serious changes in terms of ins and outs then this could descend into a death spiral
A season in the Championship could be fun tbf.