United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:18 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Ole who finished second in this league with this team. You £#%&!ing worm.
Yeah but we played shite and were showing signs of decline. We went behind in most games didn’t we? Clean sheets were few and far between, we only won one game against the ‘top six’ and relied on moments of individual class than team performance for a lot do the time… so the signs were there. Not to mention playing most games behind closed doors - when crows came back we wilted and continue to do so.

We could have knocked the scousers out of the CL, got well beaten and the UEFA cup final was a shocker.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:20 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
That's all very well but it doesn't explain why we can't defend corners, play out from the back, press the opposition, pass to a team mate and create goal scoring chances. Whatever players we have their level of performance drops from match to match. We seem to have a negative coaching system within the club. Hard to think of a player we have signed that we have improved .
They’re symptoms of ten years of lowering the standards and neglect.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:21 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Bottom of the table 😀
First time its happened in the Premier League era?

United

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:22 AM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Bottom of the table 😀
Still be there in 2 weeks

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:25 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
First time its happened in the Premier League era?

United
We were bottom of the first ever PL table.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:27 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
This… lost the first 3 didn’t we? Or was it just 2?

Sheff United and Everton spring to mind.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:28 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
This… lost the first 3 didn’t we? Or was it just 2?

Sheff United and Everton spring to mind.
Then drew at home to Ipswich. Bottom with a point after 3 games.

We’ll not even have that after three games this season.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:39 AM
Marvel7

Genuinely concerning, forget all the stuff about previous managers, forget the stuff about buying players or failing to buy players.

ETH might be a great manager, might be an amazing coach, but if, and theres a good chance they will, these results continue for another 3/4 games, the club will sack him.

We would then be in our most desperate position since the late 80's, maybe even more desperate.

There have been games, and even decent periods of time, in the past, where most the players available to ETH right now have performed to a high level, he needs to tap into that and very quickly.

I think the whole squad is rotten, i think for ETH to still be in the job in 4-8 weeks time, he needs to prove me wrong and get a tune out of some of these players.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:47 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Genuinely concerning, forget all the stuff about previous managers, forget the stuff about buying players or failing to buy players.

ETH might be a great manager, might be an amazing coach, but if, and theres a good chance they will, these results continue for another 3/4 games, the club will sack him.

We would then be in our most desperate position since the late 80's, maybe even more desperate.

There have been games, and even decent periods of time, in the past, where most the players available to ETH right now have performed to a high level, he needs to tap into that and very quickly.

I think the whole squad is rotten, i think for ETH to still be in the job in 4-8 weeks time, he needs to prove me wrong and get a tune out of some of these players.
I think the next thing we see is an abandoning of the principles to try and get a result.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:49 AM
dunk

There’s no ‘tapping in’ to anything these players have done previously.

Ole coaxed them along, stroking their egos to get a bit out of them, while trying to gently replace them as he went, the club failed miserably in backing him, the expectations fell on the players that couldn’t hack it and it imploded. Ralf then came in and called them all utter shit @#%&!s that need replacing. At this point they’re all hanging on to their contracts waiting to lose the next game. They’re all completely gone.

Unread 14-08-2022, 10:52 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Can't take serious someone who defended Ole.
let's hope no one takes that approach to moumentum.

truth is, neither manager was good enough and the squad was a bit shit anyway. it's ultimately all on the glazers.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:37 AM
Sparky***

The decision making on the pitch is truly astounding. You've got players out there, seasoned pros, making some of the most basic stupid decisions i've ever seen from a top division football team.

Now, the first goal is a classic howler, it can happen. Ask anyone in the game what you do after that I'm sure they'd pretty much say 'you're away from home against a team who have their tails up, don't do anything stupid and take the sting out of it'. So what does out goalkeeper do? Within 5 mins he plays a ball inside his own 18 yard box to a bloke who's got a player right on him that he can't see. It's truly astonishing and the kind of self destruction i've not seen from a supposed top team.

There's a reason when Guardiola came through the door at City, the first thing he did was oust that £#%&!ing moron Joe Hart and spend 400 million quid on defenders. Because to play that way, the way that he demands, the "ajax/barca way"...you need a certain type of defender and goalkeeper who arent' going to mentally melt when the ball is at their feet. At the moment we've got a back 5 consisting of players bought by FIVE different managers who all play football completely differently.

Which brings be back to one of my earlier points - why appoint a manager like Ten Hag, a 'philosophy' guy, someone who you know is going to play his way no matter what and then not give him the tools to do his job? He's not going to rip up his entire methods that have seen him win titles to accomodate inferior players, nor should he have to. He's not going to come into carrington and go "right lads, you can't do it my way so i'm going to compromise all my principles to make allowances for the fact you lot can't do it. The next game just boot it long and win the 2nd balls"

I watched one move in the first half where we made about 15-16 passes in Brentford's half before the ball went wide to Dalot who just launched the ball into touch. How as a coach do you legislate for shit like that? What can you do? It's boiling hot, make brentford chase the ball ffs you idiots, keep it. Recycle it if you have to just don't do wasteful shit like that. We have two right backs, both of whom are shit at football. We have two left backs - one is a new lad and the other is a south-coast tellytubby who's been at the club for nearly 10 £#%&!ING YEARS and had probably a season and a half where he wasn't complete dogshit. Why are they even still here? It's incredible.

This period now, before this world cup in November, is going to be the most testing of the last 10 years. We're going to see whether the club have the bottle to back the manager over the players now because everyone is going to be howling for them to sack him by then. We'll probably be in the bottom 6 still and you can absolutely guarantee that a fair few of the squad will have downed tools.

Forget about getting the owners out - that's never ever going to happen. Not before all of us are retired and too old to care any more anyway. They're going nowhere. They've presided over that NFL team of theirs for almost 30 years and spent most of that time treading water just creaming the money you get by default by being in the league. That's their mentality. Successful sports team? No they want a profitable franchise. There's no pressure for them to make man utd successful, the tv money and sponsors coming in are doing them just nicely. And if the profits drop? Well they'll just cut the spending.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:40 AM
AK14

Guardiola signed a stop gap GK at first which is what we should be doing.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
I’d been wishing we could go back to how it was in the early days of the PL.

Not exactly what I had in mind though

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Marvel7

Quote:
I think the next thing we see is an abandoning of the principles to try and get a result.
The next steps have to be attempts at positive change to improve things.

Varane and Malicia must start, I would like to bring in somebody else for Dalot as well but there is no option.

He needs to make a new midfield 2, start Garner, maybe play Martinez there, but there needs to be a change.

Rashford should be dropped for his own good, I would much rather start Garnacho

Would also be tempted to drop Fernandes for either Eriksen or VDB, a proper statement from the manager that he is in charge and drops in standards wont be accepted.

I also think we should tell Ronaldo we accept his request for a transfer and he can leave as soon as a club bids the same as we paid for him.

If we can bring players in to improve us then great, but if we cant, then we cannot just roll on with the same team expecting the results to just get better.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:42 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The decision making on the pitch is truly astounding. You've got players out there, seasoned pros, making some of the most basic stupid decisions i've ever seen from a top division football team.

Now, the first goal is a classic howler, it can happen. Ask anyone in the game what you do after that I'm sure they'd pretty much say 'you're away from home against a team who have their tails up, don't do anything stupid and take the sting out of it'. So what does out goalkeeper do? Within 5 mins he plays a ball inside his own 18 yard box to a bloke who's got a player right on him that he can't see. It's truly astonishing and the kind of self destruction i've not seen from a supposed top team.

There's a reason when Guardiola came through the door at City, the first thing he did was oust that £#%&!ing moron Joe Hart and spend 400 million quid on defenders. Because to play that way, the way that he demands, the "ajax/barca way"...you need a certain type of defender and goalkeeper who arent' going to mentally melt when the ball is at their feet. At the moment we've got a back 5 consisting of players bought by FIVE different managers who all play football completely differently.

Which brings be back to one of my earlier points - why appoint a manager like Ten Hag, a 'philosophy' guy, someone who you know is going to play his way no matter what and then not give him the tools to do his job? He's not going to rip up his entire methods that have seen him win titles to accomodate inferior players, nor should he have to. He's not going to come into carrington and go "right lads, you can't do it my way so i'm going to compromise all my principles to make allowances for the fact you lot can't do it. The next game just boot it long and win the 2nd balls"

I watched one move in the first half where we made about 15-16 passes in Brentford's half before the ball went wide to Dalot who just launched the ball into touch. How as a coach do you legislate for shit like that? What can you do? It's boiling hot, make brentford chase the ball ffs you idiots, keep it. Recycle it if you have to just don't do wasteful shit like that. We have two right backs, both of whom are shit at football. We have two left backs - one is a new lad and the other is a south-coast tellytubby who's been at the club for nearly 10 £#%&!ING YEARS and had probably a season and a half where he wasn't complete dogshit. Why are they even still here? It's incredible.

This period now, before this world cup in November, is going to be the most testing of the last 10 years. We're going to see whether the club have the bottle to back the manager over the players now because everyone is going to be howling for them to sack him by then. We'll probably be in the bottom 6 still and you can absolutely guarantee that a fair few of the squad will have downed tools.

Forget about getting the owners out - that's never ever going to happen. Not before all of us are retired and too old to care any more anyway. They're going nowhere. They've presided over that NFL team of theirs for almost 30 years and spent most of that time treading water just creaming the money you get by default by being in the league. That's their mentality. Successful sports team? No they want a profitable franchise. There's no pressure for them to make man utd successful, the tv money and sponsors coming in are doing them just nicely. And if the profits drop? Well they'll just cut the spending.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:42 AM
dunk

The only way out of this is to be proactive and aggressive with recruitment. They will not do it. Been saying it for so £#%&!ing long I’m bored of it.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:46 AM
My Name is Heath

I was derided by the unicorn brigade for doing a thread on the need to shut up shop over the next few weeks.

5 at the back and a CDM.

Some people on here still think it’s 2008 and we are just a slight adjustment from world domination.

We are miles away.

Shut up shop and try and reduce the number of goals conceded.

That’s it.

Unread 14-08-2022, 11:59 AM
shenwen

Four players should be dropped immediately: DDG, Maguire, Shaw and Rashford. Plenty more could also be dropped but at least these four have instant replacements that would improve the team. Would also send a message for the future.

I'd also not block the door if Ronaldo wants out. He's still one of the best we have but of it's not working, it's not working.

If Erik doesn't show balls over the next 2-3 weeks then he's going to have to take a big part of the blame for everything that comes his way. I thought we were getting some stubborn manager who does things his way and isn't afraid to throw in younger players. Not so far.

Unread 14-08-2022, 12:00 PM
dunk

He’s got to throw De Gea to the lions. He has to show that performances like that will not be tolerated.

We need Heaton to come in and be a Les Sealey for the 2022’s