United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics
_
Reply
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 09:05 AM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
everyone connected with it from Farage to Rees Mogg to Jem to Tatty have this pathological resistance to offering any kind of acceptance that it might not be what was hoped.
leaving aside the obvious conclusion that you don't really understand what was hoped.... how can you say that there is any kind of pathological resistance to accepting that bits of it have been very badly handled? you would have to ignore everything that was said in the threads.

oh. hold on. I think I see the problem. d'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Not exactly what I meant, no.
oh.

oh, well.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 09:14 AM
Zorg
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
It's a bit dishonest to include the guy that lost his job delivering fruit because of Brexit. He really should've known that it's not sustainable trying to transport large amounts of fruit in a Lambo.



I mainly feel sorry for them I think. They've seen traditional industries and infrastructure of their towns and cities turn to shit over the past couple of decades even when we were part of the EU.

So when some weapons like Johnson and Farage turn up telling them it's all going to get better if we leave the EU, they probably thought "Well it can't get any worse...".

They were wrong, but it's easier to have some vague hope that you can make a difference for the better with a vote than accept everything is just going to be shit.

The best we can hope for now is that one day the main culprits of the dishonestly and outright lies that drove the Brexit campaign are held to account.
All of this.

They felt they’d lost control, and then snake oil salesmen turned up asking if they wanted to ‘take back control’. No wonder it appealed to them.
On top of that, the con artists massaged their sense of national pride, their feeling that Britain is good at things on its own and doesn’t need other countries to succeed. It’s not the same as racism at all.

It would be nice to think the likes of Johnson will be held to account, but he’s the Prime Minister and still has a hugely powerful media behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Not winding myself up - just a depressing acceptance that it actually will be worse than I thought possible.

And to that extent, I do struggle to shake off the loathing I have for the perpetrators - Farage, Johnson, Mogg, Baker, Howey, Banks, Sessions. A who’s who of utter c***s. They have successfully hoodwinked millions based on some jingoistic flag shagging nonsense.

And those that knew them for what they were, understood the downsides but still voted because they had some academic objection to a strong Europe and some unrealistic intangible idea of a stronger uk do cause particular concern.

But I’m a very forgiving person and I would forgive very easily if there was even a smidgen of humility on the issue - just a small acceptance that the sunlit uplands were perhaps a worthy (I know) but unachievable ambition. But no, everyone connected with it from Farage to Rees Mogg to Jem to Tatty have this pathological resistance to offering any kind of acceptance that it might not be what was hoped. That’s the bit I find the most challenging.

Anyway, f*** em.
All these appeals to stop discussing it are so painfully transparent. People who spent years crowing about it, while ridiculing and mocking those who said it would create problems, suddenly don't want people to talk about it any more. We all know why.

And anyway, no. Why should we? It's only just started, of course we're going to talk about it ffs.

What that documentary, and the article on the same subject show is that, just as we predicted all along, Brexit will do nothing for people from struggling communities. It will only make things worse. They screwed their own people. When we said this would happen, we were laughed at.

Johnson told fishermen it would make their businesses boom, he told Northern Ireland there'd be no border down the Irish Sea, he told everyone there'd be no non-tariff barriers to trade.

Each and every one was a brazen lie designed to get him into Number 10, and it worked.

I don't think most people realise just how awful the TCA is for the UK, tbh.
Not only was the entire thing at terrible idea from the start, but Johnson signed a truly awful deal. Frost is now saying that was because the UK's position was weak to start with - a point constantly ridiculed with 'they need us more than we need them'.

I still find it incredible that the UK's Prime Minister signed and celebrated a deal that he himself now says threatens peace and the integrity of the country itself, and he's still in office.

What a mess.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:21 AM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
All these appeals to stop discussing it are so painfully transparent. People who spent years crowing about it, while ridiculing and mocking those who said it would create problems, suddenly don't want people to talk about it any more. We all know why.
classic zorg: completely misrepresenting the argument and the attitude, making it all about his own ruffled (chicken licken) feathers, how he was right (selectively) and... saying absolutely f***ing nothing new.

it has been said before, but no one is telling you to stop discussing brexit.

maybe just do it without being such a dull, repetitive, lying, humourless, repetitive, failing to read the responses, repetitive, uncritically retweeting, sopping f***ing (repetitive) whiny balls?

I mean... I know you can't. in the trans thread, I can't think of anything you have said (or copied) that I particularly disagreed with. and yet it is full of you arguing against a case that was never made, by people who don't exist, for the benefit of people that don't exist. you are just a dull whiner.

the brexit threads are full of you misrepresenting, lying, posting articles that aren't about brexit, as if they were... and failing to address counterpoints... just ignoring them, waiting a bit and then repeating the same balls again.

the exhortation "don't talk balls" doesn't mean "don't talk." unless all you can do is talk balls. is that the problem? be original. be interesting. be funny. don't lie all the time. you're hard work, pal. and it's not making you happy.

til the next time the roundabout revolves.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:29 AM
Patty_b
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
classic zorg: completely misrepresenting the argument and the attitude, making it all about his own ruffled (chicken licken) feathers, how he was right (selectively) and... saying absolutely f***ing nothing new.

it has been said before, but no one is telling you to stop discussing brexit.

maybe just do it without being such a dull, repetitive, lying, humourless, repetitive, failing to read the responses, repetitive, uncritically retweeting, sopping f***ing (repetitive) whiny balls?

I mean... I know you can't. in the trans thread, I can't think of anything you have said (or copied) that I particularly disagreed with. and yet it is full of you arguing against a case that was never made, by people who don't exist, for the benefit of people that don't exist. you are just a dull whiner.

the brexit threads are full of you misrepresenting, lying, posting articles that aren't about brexit, as if they were... and failing to address counterpoints... just ignoring them, waiting a bit and then repeating the same balls again.

the exhortation "don't talk balls" doesn't mean "don't talk." unless all you can do is talk balls. is that the problem? be original. be interesting. be funny. don't lie all the time. you're hard work, pal. and it's not making you happy.

til the next time the roundabout revolves.
They're not though are they.

The last brexit thread was created to specifically asking for the benefits of brexit. Other than non-existent fruit pickers cruising in lambo's and the scousers getting delayed on their way to a Champions League final, no benefits were provided.

But a lot of negatives were rightly talked about on a daily basis because there are so many negatives, and virtually no positices. And I imagine they will continue to be talked about as we enter a cost of living crises, and on the verge of the next recession, both of which will only be exacerbated by Brexit.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:32 AM
red red robbo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
classic zorg: completely misrepresenting the argument and the attitude, making it all about his own ruffled (chicken licken) feathers, how he was right (selectively) and... saying absolutely f***ing nothing new.

it has been said before, but no one is telling you to stop discussing brexit.

maybe just do it without being such a dull, repetitive, lying, humourless, repetitive, failing to read the responses, repetitive, uncritically retweeting, sopping f***ing (repetitive) whiny balls?

I mean... I know you can't. in the trans thread, I can't think of anything you have said (or copied) that I particularly disagreed with. and yet it is full of you arguing against a case that was never made, by people who don't exist, for the benefit of people that don't exist. you are just a dull whiner.

the brexit threads are full of you misrepresenting, lying, posting articles that aren't about brexit, as if they were... and failing to address counterpoints... just ignoring them, waiting a bit and then repeating the same balls again.

the exhortation "don't talk balls" doesn't mean "don't talk." unless all you can do is talk balls. is that the problem? be original. be interesting. be funny. don't lie all the time. you're hard work, pal. and it's not making you happy.

til the next time the roundabout revolves.
There's nothing new to say about brexit. It was a shit idea (that you voted for), implemented in a shit way by a shit government (that you voted for), and it continues to be nothing but a huge steaming pile of shit.

But, we did promise before it happened, that we would continue to remind every one who voted for it how shit it was at every available opportunity (of which there are countless), and unlike the shit politicians you voted for, we keep our promises. soz.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:32 AM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
They're not though are they.
well...ok, then. I must have imagined them. you can check, if you like. the threads still exist.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:33 AM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
There's nothing new to say about brexit. It was a shit idea (that you voted for), implemented in a shit way by a shit government (that you voted for), and it continues to be nothing but a huge steaming pile of shit.

But, we did promise before it happened, that we would continue to remind every one who voted for it how shit it was at every available opportunity (of which there are countless), and unlike the shit politicians you voted for, we keep our promises. soz.
thanks for letting me know. again.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Zorg
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
They're not though are they.

The last brexit thread was created to specifically asking for the benefits of brexit. Other than non-existent fruit pickers cruising in lambo's and the scousers getting delayed on their way to a Champions League final, no benefits were provided.

But a lot of negatives were rightly talked about on a daily basis because there are so many negatives, and virtually no positices. And I imagine they will continue to be talked about as we enter a cost of living crises, and on the verge of the next recession, both of which will only be exacerbated by Brexit.
It was even entitled 'Brexit: ongoing benefits and disdvantages'.

Hence disadvantages being listed.

All of this is just 'Please don't remind me how shit the thing I kept saying would be great has turned out to be'

How anyone can watch that documentary of struggling communities being ruthlessly shat on by the current prime minister simply to further his own career and not be angry is beyond me.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:34 AM
jem
 
Default

whoa. why is that two posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
All of this is just 'Please don't remind me how shit the thing I kept saying would be great has turned out to be'
no. it isn't. you've been told it isn't. but you persist in saying it is. over and f***ing over.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:38 AM
red red robbo
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
thanks for letting me know. again.
Anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
whoa. why is that two posts?

no. it isn't. you've been told it isn't. but you persist in saying it is. over and f***ing over.
What is it then? What are you actually complaining about? Bearing in mind we've said we are going to keep reminding you of how shit it is.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 11:50 AM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
What is it then? What are you actually complaining about? Bearing in mind we've said we are going to keep reminding you of how shit it is.
you're not reminding me how shit it is; you're reminding me how shit you think it is. but, if it were simply that, it would be a very easy thread to ignore. well... I mean... whevs.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:09 PM
measlyshark
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you're not reminding me how shit it is; you're reminding me how shit you think it is. but, if it were simply that, it would be a very easy thread to ignore. well... I mean... whevs.
As somebody whose workload and stress levels have increased immensely due to altered import/export rules, that I predicted would cause issues, I can categorically state that it is an absolute unadulterated shit-show.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:15 PM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
As somebody whose workload and stress levels have increased immensely due to altered import/export rules, that I predicted would cause issues, I can categorically state that it is an absolute unadulterated shit-show.
I hope you feel better to have got that off your chest.

same time tomorrow, then?
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:22 PM
Zorg
 
Default

https://youtu.be/gUKywFazdDo?t=1508

It's interesting both parents of the three kids living in a council flat both voted Remain (and the dad lost his job because of Brexit).
'Definitely wanted to stay, all of us. All the family did'

As many of us said, the picture was more nuanced than all Remainers being Tarquins worried about their skiing holidays in Chamonix, and all Leavers being salt-of-the-earth factory workers.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:30 PM
measlyshark
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I hope you feel better to have got that off your chest.

same time tomorrow, then?
Why not? It will be the same/worse next week......

I wrote it because you stated:

Quote:
you're not reminding me how shit it is; you're reminding me how shit you think it is. but, if it were simply that, it would be a very easy thread to ignore. well... I mean... whevs.
I'm not, I'm specifically telling you that somebody (me) who is involved in the import and export, of medical devices and raw materials that contain material of an animal origin around Europe, has clearly seen the situation worsen directly because of Brexit.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:34 PM
Ethers
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
As somebody whose workload and stress levels have increased immensely due to altered import/export rules
The Brexit benefits are coming thick and fast this week tbf.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:46 PM
jem
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
I'm not, I'm specifically telling you that somebody (me) who is involved in the import and export, of medical devices and raw materials that contain material of an animal origin around Europe, has clearly seen the situation worsen directly because of Brexit.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
no one has said it isn't happening. don't be a person like zorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
As many of us said, the picture was more nuanced than all Remainers being Tarquins worried about their skiing holidays in Chamonix, and all Leavers being salt-of-the-earth factory workers.
#allaboutme / arguing against a case no one made

classic zorg.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:52 PM
measlyshark
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
The Brexit benefits are coming thick and fast this week tbf.
Keeps me off here tbf, so there is that.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 12:57 PM
tatty
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Leaving aside for a moment the issue of the futility these complaints and observations, I think an acknowledgement that our frustration is justified and understandable would go some way to building bridges.
Good idea, we could call it the ‘Boris Bridge’.

Brexit isn’t immutable horror visited on an unknowing voter.

If you don’t like it get out there and join in one of the many campaigns to reverse it, email your Labour candidate, set up stalls in the village on a Saturday, help online.

I get you hate Brexit and that’s fine but for the ranting to be still going on years later is pretty pointless, and not good for mental health either.

This place is like a last stand for remainers, It’s pretty much died out on twitter but for the last few refuseniks.
 
Unread 10-06-2022, 01:08 PM
Sapien
 
Default

balls. Own your mess.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Brexit and the Mass Phychogenic Illness
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brexit etc Zorg News, Current Affairs & Politics 32441 15-10-2019 05:41 PM
Post Brexit Britain silv News, Current Affairs & Politics 20 12-08-2019 08:32 PM
Fly to Ireland no passport after brexit? sudored Off Topic 33 23-03-2019 04:24 AM
Brexit debate LIVE Cream News, Current Affairs & Politics 9 10-12-2018 09:13 AM
Brexit celtbion Football 7 18-05-2015 11:25 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2023 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.