United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:18 AM
My Name is Heath

Default Is football racist?

Saw a news story about this yesterday and it got me thinking

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot... a3afa3bb5250

Personally, i think it's super non racist in many ways.

If an Eskimo lad started banging in goals left, right and centre - OT would be waving Inuit flags asap.

If a pygmy insulted a Chinese player, Liverpool fans married to pygmies would be staunchly defending the Pygmy culture.

Club owners would happily play 11 ninjas if it helped avoid relegation.

I also think seeing your team score a goal and black, white, latinx and asian players celebrating together so purely is a sight not seen enough, what working together for a common goal can do.

The flip side is that bad words may get spoken against a player. This never happens to white players and the likes of Beckham have never received any abuse from fans at all.

Am I right? I'm not wrong!!

Unread 25-11-2022, 02:15 PM
ryanMUFC

People are racist.

Not a sport they watch or play.

Unread 25-11-2022, 03:12 PM
Dr Stranger

Probably less proportionally racist than society, given the range of races across the sport. Liverpool fans donít care Klopp is German or Salah is a muslim etc.

Homophobia is more of an issue. Where my gay players at? 👀

Unread 25-11-2022, 03:21 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
Probably less proportionally racist than society, given the range of races across the sport. Liverpool fans donít care Klopp is German or Salah is a muslim etc.

Yeah - odd that a game which likes to slip balls behind the back is homophobic.

Unread 25-11-2022, 03:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
Yeah - odd that a game which likes to slip balls behind the back is homophobic.
*kenneth Williams gif + slide whistle sound effect

Unread 25-11-2022, 04:52 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:

Maybe just maybe there aren't many, if any.

Unread 25-11-2022, 05:11 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden View Post
Maybe just maybe there aren't many, if any.
Why wouldnít there be?

Apparently around 3% of the population is gay. If around 3% of footballers are gay, that would mean dozens are. Yet, how many have come out? One or two? No active premier league player has come out. Doesnít reflect well on the game that theyíre not comfortable enough to do so.

Unread 25-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Spock

Quote:
Why wouldnít there be?

Apparently around 3% of the population is gay. If around 3% of footballers are gay, that would mean dozens are. Yet, how many have come out? One or two? No active premier league player has come out. Doesnít reflect well on the game that theyíre not comfortable enough to do so.
does it work like that though? just cos 3% of the population are light on their feet does it equate to football? maybe gay men prefer other sports..

Unread 25-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
does it work like that though? just cos 3% of the population are light on their feet does it equate to football? maybe gay men prefer other sports..
Not to generalise, eh?

Of course it doesnít work exactly like that, no. But even if youíre being conservative, you could say 2%, 1%.

92 league clubs. 30 players per squad. 1% is still 27 players. Point is, it isnít zero. It isnít 1 or 2. Which is where we are.

For a game that prides itself on its inclusivity, to have no openly gay players is odd, at best. With the only explanation offered being Ďmaybe there arenít anyí.

Unread 25-11-2022, 08:15 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
Saw a news story about this yesterday and it got me thinking

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot... a3afa3bb5250

Personally, i think it's super non racist in many ways.

If an Eskimo lad started banging in goals left, right and centre - OT would be waving Inuit flags asap.

If a pygmy insulted a Chinese player, Liverpool fans married to pygmies would be staunchly defending the Pygmy culture.

Club owners would happily play 11 ninjas if it helped avoid relegation.

I also think seeing your team score a goal and black, white, latinx and asian players celebrating together so purely is a sight not seen enough, what working together for a common goal can do.

The flip side is that bad words may get spoken against a player. This never happens to white players and the likes of Beckham have never received any abuse from fans at all.

Am I right? I'm not wrong!!
Wasn't it Bunks that slept with a pygmy? Or was it an Eskimo? Maybe even a Eskimo Pygmy. Either way, it just goes to show that top reds aren't racist (even if they've slept with a racist).

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:25 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Why wouldnít there be?

There's around 1.5m Pakistanis in the UK, how many are professional footballers?

People are so desperate for there to be gays in football, its 2022 nobody really gives a f*** these days. Its possible the reason none come out is because there aren't any.

Why are so many hairdressers gay, so many people in television gay? They just like different things, leave them be ffs.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:27 PM
NedKelly

Iíve never seen someone go on about gay people so much as Joe Biden.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:29 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
Iíve never seen someone go on about gay people so much as Joe Biden.
It's because I'm comfortable in my sexuality pal. Anything you want to confess? Plus I can't be gay, I was fairly decent at football.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:29 PM
armchair

yeah but what about the gays, says fred.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:30 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
It's because I'm comfortable in my sexuality pal. Anything you want to confess? Plus I can't be gay, I was fairly decent at football.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:37 PM
jem

Quote:
lThey just like different things
fair comment.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
There's around 1.5m Pakistanis in the UK, how many are professional footballers?

People are so desperate for there to be gays in football, its 2022 nobody really gives a f*** these days. Its possible the reason none come out is because there aren't any.

Why are so many hairdressers gay, so many people in television gay? They just like different things, leave them be ffs.
So leave the gays alone and also leave the Muslims alone who donít leave the gays alone? Got it 👍

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:46 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
So leave the gays alone and also leave the Muslims alone who donít leave the gays alone? Got it 👍
Muslims don't bother anyone. They have their beliefs and that's that. Their religion doesn't approve of gays that's all.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:49 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Muslims don't bother anyone.
Yes, itís a been a quiet week.

Unread 25-11-2022, 10:52 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

All the gay talk is off topic, read the op.

As for football, played and coached and supported most of my life and found it the most inclusive spot you can dangle, so I'd say no, the opposite.