United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:15 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Brexit and the Mass Phychogenic Illness

Mass psychogenic illness (MPI), also called mass sociogenic illness, mass psychogenic disorder, epidemic hysteria, or mass hysteria, involves the spread of illness symptoms through a population where there is no infectious agent responsible for contagion.[1] It is the rapid spread of illness signs and symptoms affecting members of a cohesive group, originating from a nervous system disturbance involving excitation, loss, or alteration of function, whereby physical complaints that are exhibited unconsciously have no corresponding organic causes.[2]

I think we can all agree that the mass psychosis where otherwise normally rational people arrive at outlandish and delusional views and opinions despite all of the evidence and clear examples to the contrary, the exact opposite to the claims being made is often the case, fits firmly within the parameters of the above diagnosis.

It is would be therefore correct to say that those people who are still, even now, making the case for Brexit are either suffering from MPI or are just lying about their real views and reasons for their continued support for what is proving an absolute meltdown of epic proportions.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:21 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Mass psychogenic illness (MPI), also called mass sociogenic illness, mass psychogenic disorder, epidemic hysteria, or mass hysteria, involves the spread of illness symptoms through a population where there is no infectious agent responsible for contagion.[1] It is the rapid spread of illness signs and symptoms affecting members of a cohesive group, originating from a nervous system disturbance involving excitation, loss, or alteration of function, whereby physical complaints that are exhibited unconsciously have no corresponding organic causes.[2]

I think we can all agree that the mass psychosis where otherwise normally rational people arrive at outlandish and delusional views and opinions despite all of the evidence and clear examples to the contrary, the exact opposite to the claims being made is often the case, fits firmly within the parameters of the above diagnosis.

It is would be therefore correct to say that those people who are still, even now, making the case for Brexit are either suffering from MPI or are just lying about their real views and reasons for their continued support for what is proving an absolute meltdown of epic proportions.
I can see why Armers gets annoyed. That's not a word.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:24 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:25 AM
armchair

Quote:
try not to make every post about me in your remaining days on here.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:28 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Phychogenic

Really? You (he) has the audacity to post that but get the title wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
try not to make every post about me in your remaining days on here.
If you are going to ban me, do it. Irish (or any other country tbf) sword of Damocles does nothing for me.

Unread 10-06-2022, 12:41 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Phychogenic

Really? You (he) has the audacity to post that but get the title wrong?

If you are going to ban me, do it. Irish (or any other country tbf) sword of Damocles does nothing for me.
I ain't got a Scooby mate, I just wanted to post that quote.

Unread 10-06-2022, 01:13 AM
jem

trippers is like the aborigines who supposedly couldn't see the endeavour.

Unread 10-06-2022, 01:30 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
trippers is like the aborigines who supposedly couldn't see the endeavour.
Clear as mud, as ever....

Unread 10-06-2022, 06:31 AM
Zorg

Well I don’t know about an illness, but Franco-German TV channel ARTE has made a documentary about British fishers

Unread 10-06-2022, 07:23 AM
no fun

It exists.....just think back to the divvies who skriked their eyes out when that unemployed clothes horse got murdered in that Paris car crash

Unread 10-06-2022, 07:28 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Well I don’t know about an illness, but Franco-German TV channel ARTE has made a documentary about British fishers

https://youtu.be/gUKywFazdDo
Part of me feels sorry for these people and part of me feels ‘tough shit you d***heads’.

If you ask anyone now whether they would believe anything Johnson promises they would say ‘absolutely not’. It’s just a shame too few realised what kind of people Johnson and Farage were back then.

My true disgust rests with those that knew, had a good appreciation of what might happen but for their own vanity ideals still voted to make this country materially worse off in every tangible way possible.

Scum….sub human scum.

Unread 10-06-2022, 07:50 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Part of me feels sorry for these people and part of me feels ‘tough shit you d***heads’.

If you ask anyone now whether they would believe anything Johnson promises they would say ‘absolutely not’. It’s just a shame too few realised what kind of people Johnson and Farage were back then.

My true disgust rests with those that knew, had a good appreciation of what might happen but for their own vanity ideals still voted to make this country materially worse off in every tangible way possible.

Scum….sub human scum.
Harsh on jem that.

Then again, maybe not.

Unread 10-06-2022, 08:21 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

It's a bit dishonest to include the guy that lost his job delivering fruit because of Brexit. He really should've known that it's not sustainable trying to transport large amounts of fruit in a Lambo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth

Scum….sub human scum.
I mainly feel sorry for them I think. They've seen traditional industries and infrastructure of their towns and cities turn to shit over the past couple of decades even when we were part of the EU.

So when some weapons like Johnson and Farage turn up telling them it's all going to get better if we leave the EU, they probably thought "Well it can't get any worse...".

They were wrong, but it's easier to have some vague hope that you can make a difference for the better with a vote than accept everything is just going to be shit.

The best we can hope for now is that one day the main culprits of the dishonestly and outright lies that drove the Brexit campaign are held to account.

Unread 10-06-2022, 08:28 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

I mainly feel sorry for them I think. They've seen traditional industries and infrastructure of their towns and cities turn to shit over the past couple of decades even when we were part of the EU.

So when some weapons like Johnson and Farage turn up telling them it's all going to get better if we leave the EU, they probably thought "Well it can't get any worse...".

They were wrong, but it's easier to have some vague hope that you can make a difference for the better with a vote than accept everything is just going to be shit.
Genuinely believe if this was the message put forth by Labour then they’d win a lot of voters back. I haven’t watched QT in a year or two now but what I always noticed was the people who would raise legitimate issues around immigration, infrastructures etc they were often told they were dinosaurs, they’d be condescended by both other members of the audience and the guests themselves, obviously it would be hinted at that they were racist.

All that resulted in was lost votes for Labour imo

Unread 10-06-2022, 08:55 AM
andyroo

Quote:

When the seagulls follow the trawler...

Unread 10-06-2022, 09:08 AM
jem

it would be nice if these threads were cathartic, but I just feel you all winding yourselves up tighter and calling others subhuman scum (which doesn't reflect that well on you, but does mirror your attitudes in other political threads).

this is just going to be the same repetitive nonsense that ignores the same things that you have ignored for six years, whilst you rant impotently about things we all know (and knew and have discussed ad nauseam - it's all there already, if you want to read it).

it's a shame, but hey-ho. knock yourselves out.

Unread 10-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it would be nice if these threads were cathartic, but I just feel you all winding yourselves up tighter and calling others subhuman scum (which doesn't reflect that well on you, but does mirror your attitudes in other political threads).

this is just going to be the same repetitive nonsense that ignores the same things that you have ignored for six years, whilst you rant impotently about things we all know (and knew and have discussed ad nauseam - it's all there already, if you want to read it).

it's a shame, but hey-ho. knock yourselves out.
Leaving aside for a moment the issue of the futility these complaints and observations, I think an acknowledgement that our frustration is justified and understandable would go some way to building bridges.

Unread 10-06-2022, 10:00 AM
Hyman_Roth

Not winding myself up - just a depressing acceptance that it actually will be worse than I thought possible.

And to that extent, I do struggle to shake off the loathing I have for the perpetrators - Farage, Johnson, Mogg, Baker, Howey, Banks, Sessions. A who’s who of utter c***s. They have successfully hoodwinked millions based on some jingoistic flag shagging nonsense.

And those that knew them for what they were, understood the downsides but still voted because they had some academic objection to a strong Europe and some unrealistic intangible idea of a stronger uk do cause particular concern.

But I’m a very forgiving person and I would forgive very easily if there was even a smidgen of humility on the issue - just a small acceptance that the sunlit uplands were perhaps a worthy (I know) but unachievable ambition. But no, everyone connected with it from Farage to Rees Mogg to Jem to Tatty have this pathological resistance to offering any kind of acceptance that it might not be what was hoped. That’s the bit I find the most challenging.

Anyway, f*** em.

Unread 10-06-2022, 10:03 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Leaving aside for a moment the issue of the futility these complaints and observations, I think an acknowledgement that our frustration is justified and understandable would go some way to building bridges.
presumably, you mean that you are frustrated by the fact that you failed to make a better case when it mattered, that not everyone thinks the same way you do and by your view that you knew more, you warned them and they didn't listen and now everything you predicted had come true (except the things that didn't, but still... you said it would be a disaster... and it is. by your metrics. which everyone who voted for brexit ignored.) and maybe a little bit by the fact that, given the opportunity to shape brexit in a more desirable manner (allowing for the fact that it was going to be bad whatever), with boris sidelined, remainers opted to fight it like little donkeys and ended up with a more extreme version that might have been achieved by being less frustrated, repetitive and whiny?

er... yeah. I acknowledge that.

Unread 10-06-2022, 10:05 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
presumably, you mean that you are frustrated by the fact that you failed to make a better case when it mattered, that not everyone thinks the same way you do and by your view that you knew more, you warned them and they didn't listen and now everything you predicted had come true (except the things that didn't, but still... you said it would be a disaster... and it is. by your metrics. which everyone who voted for brexit ignored.) and maybe a little bit by the fact that, given the opportunity to shape brexit in a more desirable manner (allowing for the fact that it was going to bad whatever), with boris sidelined, remainers opted to fight it like little donkeys and ended up with a more extreme version that might have been achieved by being less frustrated, repetitive and whiny?

er... yeah. I acknowledge that.
Not exactly what I meant, no.