United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 19-05-2021, 03:51 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
The position in the league is dependent on other teams as is back to back qualification for the CL. In my opinion there isn’t much improvement from last season. It’s lazy analysis.

We’ve pretty well considering the lack of investment (apart from a bench-warmer, a striker who can’t start every game & 2 RW who aren’t ready) but nobody should be saying that the teams improved.
I can say that happens every year. Every single premier league we have won is because atleast 18 of the remaining 19 teams had a bad.shit season

Of course the team has improved based on last season. We have reached one higher position and made a final. its easy to turn around and say yes certain teams are shit, but i can make that point in any given season in the premier league.

You can only beat who you play against. Its not uniteds fault theyve been shit. Again, this isnt a fantastic season, but we have progressed. progression has been made whilst being handicapped by owners.

If anything , the fact that we have been " so bad" should show room for a bit of optimism as this is us playing badly. With the right signings, and a more spread out season where the players get a bit of rest who knows what might happen.

if ole is backed and he gets 3 signings in 4 of the positions he needs and puts in a similar season, then il agree with you. Big improvement is needed by ole and the team. The majority of it will come from recruitment. Fail to back him and he will be fired by december and the guys that want him out will get their wish.

The cycle will reset and the glazers and woodward will manage to hide behind another managerial sacking .

Unread 19-05-2021, 04:00 PM
jem

liverpool have been a bit shit. but only compared to last year.

Unread 19-05-2021, 04:05 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I can say that happens every year. Every single premier league we have won is because atleast 18 of the remaining 19 teams had a bad.shit season

Of course the team has improved based on last season. We have reached one higher position and made a final. its easy to turn around and say yes certain teams are shit, but i can make that point in any given season in the premier league.

You can only beat who you play against. Its not uniteds fault theyve been shit. Again, this isnt a fantastic season, but we have progressed. progression has been made whilst being handicapped by owners.

If anything , the fact that we have been " so bad" should show room for a bit of optimism as this is us playing badly. With the right signings, and a more spread out season where the players get a bit of rest who knows what might happen.

if ole is backed and he gets 3 signings in 4 of the positions he needs and puts in a similar season, then il agree with you. Big improvement is needed by ole and the team. The majority of it will come from recruitment. Fail to back him and he will be fired by december and the guys that want him out will get their wish.

The cycle will reset and the glazers and woodward will manage to hide behind another managerial sacking .
And how have Chelsea been shit compared to the previous year? We finished above them then too. The expectation was high for them, the reality is that we’ve been better than them. That’s not our fault. They can make no greater claim to have been any better than we could.

Liverpool, ok, nobody expected them to do this, but everyone else? There’s literally only Liverpool and City who finished above us the year before.

And as for Liverpool, a couple of injuries is no excuse for them to fall apart the way they have. Seasons are isolated. You still hear pundits saying how we’re not on their level despite finishing above them ... in what context? Over the last 2 or 3 years, no. Season before that, we finished above them. We finished above them this year. They seem to be just disregarded this season as a write off and no reflection of their standard. Does that mean they’re still better than City too because they finished above them last season as well?

It’s nonsense.

Right now, we’re the second best team in the league. Simple as that.

Unread 19-05-2021, 07:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
had draw written all over it from the start of the second half.

not remotely arsed though. Cavani cracker. Second guaranteed. Hopefully a trophy in a week.
Well, maybe not if Greenwood hadn't missed that sitter just before they scored tbf.

Unread 19-05-2021, 07:43 PM
silv

If we win a trophy it’s progress

Else, it’s pretty much what Ryan said

Unread 19-05-2021, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
If we win a trophy it’s progress

Else, it’s pretty much what Ryan said
I'm not convinced by the "its just other teams being shit" line tbh, but I suppose the real acid test of that is next season.

Unread 19-05-2021, 11:19 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I'm not convinced by the "its just other teams being shit" line tbh, but I suppose the real acid test of that is next season.
everybody is staggering over the line in various ways. It's been a horrendous season fixture wise and having no fans in has really lowered the quality.

Even city, for all the plaudits that have been lavished on them, haven't looked unbeatable. They went on a 20 game winning streak at a critical time of the season which has seen them home.