United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 15-03-2021, 05:00 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It’s irrelevant on a player by player basis. We’ve had plenty of world class players at this club that cost nothing. Barcelona had three of the top five players in the world for a decade that cost them £#%&! all. You’re implying that the fact we had two home growns up front yesterday is an indicator of our lack of quality, but money doesn’t guarantee quality. However I do agree that it significantly increases the probability of strength in depth.
Well given that we should have won about 4-0 but for the fact neither of our home grown forwards could score several gilt edged chances, that would sort of back up my point.

We haven't produced a world class player at this club for nothing since the early 90s.

Unread 15-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Well given that we should have won about 4-0 but for the fact neither of our home grown forwards could score several gilt edged chances, that would sort of back up my point.

We haven't produced a world class player at this club for nothing since the early 90s.
Fletcher was the last decent player? You could argue pogba but I don’t want this thread to descend into chaos .

Unread 15-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Fletcher was the last decent player? You could argue pogba but I don’t want this thread to descend into chaos .
Utd99 is correct, you can produce your own world class players so therefore in that respect i suppose you could argue money isn't everything.

But unfortunately home-grown world class players are rarer than unicorn shit. In fact how many world class, home grown players have we had at United in the last half century? 4? Charlton, Best.. Scholes, Beckham... Nobody else comes to mind.

The fact is unless there's a some once in a generational talent coming through, if you want elite level players you have to buy them. Having very good players or having top class players really is the difference between winning the league or finishing 2nd/3rd.

Unread 15-03-2021, 06:29 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Utd99 is correct, you can produce your own world class players so therefore in that respect i suppose you could argue money isn't everything.

But unfortunately home-grown world class players are rarer than unicorn shit. In fact how many world class, home grown players have we had at United in the last half century? 4? Charlton, Best.. Scholes, Beckham... Nobody else comes to mind.

The fact is unless there's a some once in a generational talent coming through, if you want elite level players you have to buy them. Having very good players or having top class players really is the difference between winning the league or finishing 2nd/3rd.

we have had more than most

Unread 15-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
we have had more than most
yeah I know that's why we've won a lot of stuff.

Unread 15-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Glenn Hoddle has urged Manchester United to sign a ‘young Edinson Cavani’ during their search for a striker.

Speaking about United’s transfer dealings, Hoddle said (via Express): “Yeah [a striker] would be the [priority]. I think it’s got to be. You need a young Cavani.

“You’ve got Cavani at the wrong time. Five or six years ago, his movement, his hold-up play, everything he had and he’s got still.

“When he plays for United I see a different United team, even now at his age. And he’s not that old, what is he, 33?

https://strettynews.com/2021/03/15/h...-young-cavani/

you think about the opportunities yesterday and what having a £#%&!ing good striker would have done for us. He would have buried the header that rashford missed.

don't see how anyone can say money is irrelevant or not a factor. It certainly plays a bit part but players at whatever price still have to produce the goods.

Quote:
yeah I know that's why we've won a lot of stuff.

forgot Giggsy....

Unread 15-03-2021, 07:17 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
you think about the opportunities yesterday and what having a £#%&!ing good striker would have done for us. He would have buried the header that rashford missed.

don't see how anyone can say money is irrelevant or not a factor. It certainly plays a bit part but players at whatever price still have to produce the goods.

forgot Giggsy....
he forgot loads but thats not the point

Unread 15-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
he forgot loads but thats not the point
can you help me out then please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
y

forgot Giggsy....
blimey

Unread 15-03-2021, 07:54 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
can you help me out then please?

blimey
i will post a list you will say they are shit and they are not amazing world class players that you say they should be and then we post some funny gifs.

Fact is united have always tried to build via youth teams. The class of 92 was a freak and wont be repeated anytime soon but saying that we should just blow money ( we did that with sanchez and that group) has shown that its not the most successful way to consistently win.

the irony of your usersname not being on that list is not lost on me either

Unread 15-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
i will post a list you will say they are shit and they are not amazing world class players that you say they should be and then we post some funny gifs.

Fact is united have always tried to build via youth teams. The class of 92 was a freak and wont be repeated anytime soon but saying that we should just blow money ( we did that with sanchez and that group) has shown that its not the most successful way to consistently win.

the irony of your usersname not being on that list is not lost on me either
well no, blowing money generally means you've wasted it, so i agree that's not the most successful way.

Apart from that i'm glad you agree with me.

Unread 15-03-2021, 08:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Before anyone tries to prove we're less cautious/more entertaining under Ole by pointing out how many more goals we're scoring and the amount of times we've won by large margins, don't forget that teams "play into our hands" these days, so those goals don't count.
Defeats/draws against lower sides - these are down to our manager, but wins aren't (as opposed to luck/"moments of brilliance"/the opposition not trying)

That's how it works, yes?