United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
they got him on the phone to tell him that it's either applying for voluntary redundancy (with no idea what it entails) or they could give him a worse job.
what is to stop him saying that he is interested in vm, but wants to know the terms?

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm View Post
No. He doesn't have to accept another job unless it was in his terms and conditions.

They will have to make him redundant from his post if he doesn't
Unless accepting a different job was in the terms of his original contract you mean? Heís not against taking a redundancy, he just needs to know what it entails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
what is to stop him saying that he is interested in vm, but wants to know the terms?
Thatís what heís done, itís more the threat of applying by Friday which is a completely arbitrary deadline used to pressure people.

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:20 PM
tatty

Are VR terms always equal or better than CR?

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:24 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Unless accepting a different job was in the terms of his original contract you mean? Heís not against taking a redundancy, he just needs to know what it entails.

Thatís what heís done, itís more the threat of applying by Friday which is a completely arbitrary deadline used to pressure people.
How many people are they proposing to make redundant? If it is greater than 20 (might be 25, would have to check) then there is a process to go through which they are NOT following. Many companies f*** it up and leave themselves open to claims of unfair dismissal from their (ex)staff.

ACAS have some good stuff on the redundancy process on their website.

EDIT: https://www.acas.org.uk/redundancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
You'd think, but not all HR manager are that bright

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
How many people are they proposing to make redundant? If it is greater than 20 (might be 25, would have to check) then there is a process to go through which they are NOT following. Many companies f*** it up and leave themselves open to claims of unfair dismissal from their (ex)staff.

ACAS have some good stuff on the redundancy process on their website.
In his group they are initially proposing eliminating about 12 jobs but I imagine they would be making more redundancies across the company. What I don't know is whether the catering department is part of the group making larger office redundancies, it's all changed hands so many times; HSBC, M&S, Capital Bank, Compass Group just from memory.

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:30 PM
AK14

Murderous rampage Michael Douglas style like out of Falling Down?

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:31 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
In his group they are initially proposing eliminating about 12 jobs but I imagine they would be making more redundancies across the company. What I don't know is whether the catering department is part of the group making larger office redundancies, it's all changed hands so many times; HSBC, M&S, Capital Bank, Compass Group just from memory.
I don't think it is the group that matters, but rather the company. So catering might be an internal business group, but it is still part of the company and it is the company that is making them redundant.

I also think if they are offer voluntary terms they have to pay for each employee to get independent legal advice. Went through this shit two years ago so forgotten a lot of it unfortunately.

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty View Post
You cannot be offered less than statutory redundancy terms. It's illegal.

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Bunker Buster

ACAS Call 0330 107 5370

Or his union if he's in one...

Unread 16-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
ACAS Call 0330 107 5370

Or his union if he's in one...
This.