United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 17-04-2020, 06:26 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd
Supposed to be heading to Japan start of May

Travel agent is waiting for me to blink first and cancel, not happening for the amount of cash we'd lose.
From reading around online, ABTA have advised all travel agents to give credit notes instead of refunds, which this one is doing to others.
Not a chance though, fair chance a lot of places go under, at which point your credit note will be first in the bin

Also have decent travel insurance, they'll no doubt want the travel agent to refund first.
Will get the cash back once way or another, just picturing it being a right pain
We were booked to go skiing early April in Andorra flying into Barcelona and we could only get credit notes of the airline, I don't mind so much as, all being well, we'd be making the same trip again next season but my worry is if the airline goes bang.

Also had a trip to London booked in March for TG which was cancelled, the train I got refunded but good old travelodge wouldn't refund, would only let me re-book. Cost me 21 for the privilege and I probably won't be able to use my re-booked dates either, had tickets for a test match at Lords that probably won't happen.

Unread 17-04-2020, 06:27 PM
FraUtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
In all cases, you'll know closer to the date.

Japan is safer than the UK atm.
Yeah, travel agent still insisting they'll know more 48hrs before we fly, not really entertaining me harassing them until then

As it stands, Hong Kong aren't allowing connections from the UK, and that flight is now 2 days earlier than originally booked.
Even if we made it to Tokyo, they currently have a state of emergency lockdown that lasts until 4 days after we would arrive, never mind the 14 day quarantine we would be thrown into

The insurance paperwork says they'll cover any holiday with a departure date within 28 days where the government have advised against all but essential travel
That covers us as of now, but their recorded message says to leave them alone unless you're flying in the next 48hrs

Unread 17-04-2020, 06:37 PM
measlyshark

Weekend home cancelled, not cost much tbf.

Four days in Ibiza end of June, not going to happen.

Two weeks in Provence early August, doubtful. Although driving and a secluded villa so slightly hopeful.

Unread 17-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre

Unread 17-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Any countries opening their borders before August will likely insist on 2 weeks quarantine. So I guess if you're going for 3/4 weeks could be worth it.

Unread 17-04-2020, 10:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreez
If things aren't mostly back to normal by mid-July, there's only two likely scenarios. Some sort of dystopian Mad Max type shit. Or some sort of mass depression suicide scenario... which will be quickly followed by Mad Max type shit.
Depends on what that word actually means, really. Its absolutely 100% not going to be *totally* back to normal whatever happens.

Unread 17-04-2020, 10:34 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Depends on what that word actually means, really. Its absolutely 100% not going to be *totally* back to normal whatever happens.
Individuals experiences of lock down are going to be different but i've spoken to quite a few who have enjoyed it (awful circumstances aside).

I think we will keep the 'best' bits of the last month or so even when restrictions are lifted.

Unread 17-04-2020, 11:43 PM
Jack Duckworth

quigley like this.

has amyone spent more than a ton on a coat?

whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Unread 18-04-2020, 07:18 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
We were booked to go skiing early April in Andorra flying into Barcelona and we could only get credit notes of the airline, I don't mind so much as, all being well, we'd be making the same trip again next season but my worry is if the airline goes bang.

Also had a trip to London booked in March for TG which was cancelled, the train I got refunded but good old travelodge wouldn't refund, would only let me re-book. Cost me 21 for the privilege and I probably won't be able to use my re-booked dates either, had tickets for a test match at Lords that probably won't happen.
Anyone else find it difficult to reconcile the real ale loving, allotment tending Travvers with the sadomasochistic swinging sex adventuring travvers? No offence like. The contrast just tickles me.

Imagine horror on either side of the divide if he got the outfits mixed up.

Unread 18-04-2020, 07:21 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
quigley like this.

has amyone spent more than a ton on a coat?

whaaaaaaaaaaat?
Yaldy!