United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-09-2021, 09:42 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
you can't really compare what ole has done to what others have done - except maybe jomo and king louis. and it is pointless guesswork to ask what someone else might have done with this squad. I mean.... ole could probably have guided city to a league title.

ole has faults. the midfield and failures to change tactics and make subs, for example. but the football is so much better than under mourinho and he's not a complete #@&%!. unless you find "we'll learn from this" really annoying.
No idea why your blaming the manager for the midfielder.

Unread 13-09-2021, 10:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
No idea why your blaming the manager for the midfielder.
that's probably true.

you do know he picks the team, yes?

Unread 13-09-2021, 10:23 PM
Swagger

I'm confident Ole will finish above all three of the Champions League winning managers he's up against.

Unread 13-09-2021, 10:45 PM
History

Can't really compare the squads until this squad has run it's course

Still remember the disbelief when Giggs and Fletch were first paired up together at home to Chelsea. Turned out to be a really solid partnership for the most part.

But our current midfield is nowhere near at the moment.

Unread 13-09-2021, 10:54 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger
I'm confident Ole will finish above all three of the Champions League winning managers he's up against.
What about the 4th?

Unread 13-09-2021, 11:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Easy to forget that Carrick, Fletcher and an ageing Scholes were our midfield options that year with back up from Anderson and Hargreaves M.I.A. Think Park and Giggs played CM a fair bit probably a Carrick short of where we are currently tbf.
But that was when Fletcher was actually getting good tbf.

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Dr Stranger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
What about the 4th?

Unread 14-09-2021, 12:38 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's nowhere near the strongest squad we've ever had. Not even close.

The central midfield is utter dogshit.

Our squad in 2008/09 was something to behold
I may have been a tad giddy and should probably have said 'it's up there' with the strongest squads we've ever had. But to say it's not even close to 2008/09 is, IMHO, simply not true.

GK: van de Sar no doubt was the best, but we've got arguably a better pool of keepers now (it's close either way, in terms of 'squad').

DF: Not much in it, although Ferdinand and Vidic were the greatest, on paper (it's too early to know for sure) Varane and Maguire are also both up there and have the making of a phenomenal pairing. Full backs are also bloody close: love Evra and Rafael as much as the next man and would have them above anyone else in a starting 11, but likewise we've got strength in depth this year (Neville was buggered that season).

Midfield: If we class Ronaldo as an attacking player in 2008, we have, on paper at least, got just as good a midfield as we had back then. The only difference is the 08/09 squad were better defensively (Park, Fletcher, Carrick), whereas the current batch (led by Fernandes and Pogba) are better going forward. Scholesy, bless him, was a bit past his prime that season. Either way, in terms of squad depth (and on paper), it's close.

Attack: Ronaldo v.2008 versus Ronaldo v.2021 - which version has the potential to score the most for us? Both squads are/were absolutely stacked with quality attacking players/goal scorers. Rooney 08 vs Greenwood 21; Berbatov vs Cavani? Tevez (who barely scored that year) or Rashford? Nani (barely played) or Sancho?? It's too early to tell, of course, but again (on paper) and in terms of squad depth: it's close.

Edit: yes, am still giddy. But then again I think we've all got every right to be. And, £#%&! me, it feels great.

Unread 14-09-2021, 12:50 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I may have been a tad giddy and should probably have said 'it's up there' with the strongest squads we've ever had. But to say it's not even close to 2008/09 is, IMHO, simply not true.

GK: van de Sar no doubt was the best, but we've got arguably a better pool of keepers now (it's close either way, in terms of 'squad').

DF: Not much in it, although Ferdinand and Vidic were the greatest, on paper (it's too early to know for sure) Varane and Maguire are also both up there and have the making of a phenomenal pairing. Full backs are also bloody close: love Evra and Rafael as much as the next man and would have them above anyone else in a starting 11, but likewise we've got strength in depth this year (Neville was buggered that season).

Midfield: If we class Ronaldo as an attacking player in 2008, we have, on paper at least, got just as good a midfield as we had back then. The only difference is the 08/09 squad were better defensively (Park, Fletcher, Carrick), whereas the current batch (led by Fernandes and Pogba) are better going forward. Scholesy, bless him, was a bit past his prime that season. Either way, in terms of squad depth (and on paper), it's close.

Attack: Ronaldo v.2008 versus Ronaldo v.2021 - which version has the potential to score the most for us? Both squads are/were absolutely stacked with quality attacking players/goal scorers. Rooney 08 vs Greenwood 21; Berbatov vs Cavani? Tevez (who barely scored that year) or Rashford? Nani (barely played) or Sancho?? It's too early to tell, of course, but again (on paper) and in terms of squad depth: it's close.

Edit: yes, am still giddy. But then again I think we've all got every right to be. And, £#%&! me, it feels great.
Be giddy pal. We have the makings of a great team and squad

Actually looking forward to the CL game tonight

Unread 14-09-2021, 12:50 PM
jem

Quote:

sorry, but our currently midfield is absolutely, inexcusably shit. there was a time when we thought park and fletch were shit, but they would walk into the midfield today (overtaking pobga on the way). comparing fred and mctog to carrick and scholes is just.... I have no words.

Unread 14-09-2021, 01:06 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
sorry, but our currently midfield is absolutely, inexcusably shit. there was a time when we thought park and fletch were shit, but they would walk into the midfield today (overtaking pobga on the way). comparing fred and mctog to carrick and scholes is just.... I have no words.
I'm not comparing individual players, though, am I? I'm talking squad depth. If you want to play that game, fine. You've got five mins left to play and need a goal, who would you rather have in the team: a 34/35 year old Scholes and Carrick or today's Bruno and Pogba ?? They are both world class options, but I'd probably go for the latter.

Whatever your thoughts, my point being is those squads are at least close in terms of overall quality and depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Be giddy pal. We have the makings of a great team and squad

Actually looking forward to the CL game tonight
Haven't had cause to for long enough

Unread 14-09-2021, 01:27 PM
jem

Quote:
I'm not comparing individual players, though, am I? I'm talking squad depth. If you want to play that game, fine. You've got five mins left to play and need a goal, who would you rather have in the team: a 34/35 year old Scholes and Carrick or today's Bruno and Pogba ?? They are both world class options, but I'd probably go for the latter.

Whatever your thoughts, my point being is those squads are at least close in terms of overall quality and depth.
the current squad is completely unbalanced in terms of midfielders. the comparison of midfield quality and depth with what we had is embarrassing. midfield is kind of important and it is what will cost us this year, same as last year. the last time we won the league, we had a shit midfield, but all of the other teams around us were shit. that is not the case now.

Unread 14-09-2021, 03:56 PM
plopborsky

being on has nothing to do with squad size type or player quality its a £#%&!ing life style.

But for those that need this its ON!

Unread 14-09-2021, 04:01 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
being on has nothing to do with squad size type or player quality its a £#%&!ing life style.

But for those that need this its ON!
oh. well, it's definitely not on then. on = disappointment.

Unread 14-09-2021, 04:25 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
oh. well, it's definitely not on then. on = disappointment.
you need more on'ness pal

when i said i was shootcrew4lyfe i meant it

Unread 14-09-2021, 04:30 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
you need more on'ness pal

when i said i was shootcrew4lyfe i meant it
"it's romo's year!"

that sort of thing?

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:03 PM
red in cumbria

Its off again, lads.

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:05 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Its off again, lads.
Not for me it's not. Stay bitter. Enjoy your bitterness. Wallow in it.

I'm up for United even if you aren't.

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:05 PM
BarryX

Fickle Tissue
On

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Sparky***

Dunno about the league but this lot aren't getting anywhere near winning the european cup. Absolutely £#%&!ing no chance.
Closed Thread