United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Cream

Football Gary Pallister - underrated?

I remember him as a Rio style signing. Record fee for a defender (3.5mil)?

Was impressed that he’d go to ground for a tackle and re-emerge with the ball, which Giggs would also go on to do. An uncommon trait in the English game.

Brucey lacked Gary’s skills but is more fondly remembered thanks to his leadership and goals.

McGrath plagued by injuries and played a lot of his United career in midfield.

Forgotten man?

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:46 AM
ryanMUFC

Probably under-rated. Where would he fit into the game today? Would he be Premier League quality? Apparently he was terrible in training.

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:46 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I remember him as a Rio style signing. Record fee for a defender (3.5mil)?

Was impressed that he’d go to ground for a tackle and re-emerge with the ball, which Giggs would also go on to do. An uncommon trait in the English game.

Brucey lacked Gary’s skills but is more fondly remembered thanks to his leadership and goals.

McGrath plagued by injuries and played a lot of his United career in midfield.

Forgotten man?
think it was 2.5 million and got into his press conferance at the ramada hotel in town blagged it . whilst paul ince was upstairs in the hotel in tears as his move had fallen through .. was on granada reports sat in the press seats true story

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:51 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
think it was 2.5 million and got into his press conferance at the ramada hotel in town blagged it . whilst paul ince was upstairs in the hotel in tears as his move had fallen through .. was on granada reports sat in the press seats true story
Ffs

You’re right, 2.3 mil according to wiki.

Quote:
Pallister's transfer broke the national record for a fee paid for a defender, as well as being the highest fee between British clubs, and the second highest fee to be paid by a British club (second only to Ian Rush's return to Liverpool from Juventus a year earlier).
Earned England cap before playing in Div 1. Says a lot. Also says a lot that he only earned 22 career caps - ridiculous.

Unread 23-02-2021, 11:52 AM
AK14

Definitely underrated

Pretty much a modern day CB

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:00 PM
jem

was not a rio-style signing. rio was a trophy wife. pallister seemed like a donkey from a division lower. I don't think he was underrated when he played for us, though.

his free kick against blackburn would put a smile on anyone's face.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:10 PM
programmes?

Top quality defender.

Got a lot of stick due to a shaky start but him and Bruce worked really well.

Dolly and Daisy wasn't it?

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Red Santos

Loved the lanky @#%&!

Was apparently dogshit in training but when saturday came always did the business. A consistent performer for Fergie. A towering presence at the back.

Reminds me of Harry Maguire. Got his head on £#%&!ing everything. Both gonna develop alzheimers for the cause though...Pally's already got the early symptoms of memory loss and headaches

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
Loved the lanky @#%&!

Was apparently dogshit in training but when saturday came always did the business. A consistent performer for Fergie. A towering presence at the back.

Reminds me of Harry Maguire. Got his head on £#%&!ing everything. Both gonna develop alzheimers for the cause though...Pally's already got the early symptoms of memory loss and headaches
He's ten times the player of Maguire....

Very similar heads though...

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:38 PM
shenwen

Seeing as he was a British record, I'd say he wasn't underrated.

Should have played more for England. Who were the centre backs at that time that kept out Pally and Bruce? Adams?

Saw him once at a cinema. Bloody huge.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:40 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmes?
Top quality defender.

Got a lot of stick due to a shaky start but him and Bruce worked really well.

Dolly and Daisy wasn't it?
All correct. Big signings then we got stuffed 5-1 by the berts.

He was the Rio to Bruce’s Vidic in a very shaky comparison.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Pop

Magnificent bulge

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:42 PM
no fun

Was at his home debut v norwich

He got £#%&!ing slaughtered

Improved

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:52 PM
programmes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Should have played more for England. Who were the centre backs at that time that kept out Pally and Bruce? Adams?

I saw him in M&S. Like you say, he was tall. Seemed £#%&!ing massive to me.

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:57 PM
guerreiro

Friend knew him and always told me that he was the one that Fergie always tore strips off, constantly ripping into him.

Also, weirdly another mate of mine’s favourite ever player

Unread 23-02-2021, 12:59 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Des Walker, Keown?, Campbell maybe, Mark Wright, Butcher

Unread 23-02-2021, 01:12 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Think he would have gone to the 94p world Cup if they hadn't shit counted it...

That San Marino goal still gives me a buzz

Unread 23-02-2021, 01:14 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Was at his home debut v norwich

He got £#%&!ing slaughtered

Improved
yep lost 0-2 i think and he gave a penalty away

that mutv caller ..garys got a massive bulge ha ha ha ha

Unread 23-02-2021, 01:19 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Ah, not too shabby then.

Those goals in the 3-1 vs Liverpool though

Unread 23-02-2021, 01:40 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
yep lost 0-2 i think and he gave a penalty away

that mutv caller ..garys got a massive bulge ha ha ha ha
Think it was 2-1 Hughesie scored a scissor kick. The pic from it was on the back of the programme for years. Think Phelan scored for them? It was my 10th birthday and me Mum wrote to the club and Keith Faine announced it over the tannoy.
Closed Thread