United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 25-01-2018, 10:34 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
f***ing superb Den, love it
those weren't even the craziest things I got up to back then getting to games. Wez........

first away for me was QPR ....on my own, 9decided to go on a school trip) ...set off Friday night hitchhiking down to London ....got a lift off some bloke to the M62/M6 junction....on the slip road....stood there for about an hour, cars shooting past at 70mph plus...I decided I wasn't gonna get a lift there, so I started walking along the hard shoulder...got to the first junction tried there for a bit but hardly any cars were coming on....so I decided to walk to the next junction.....only trouble was, a big £#%&! off bridge...the Thelwall Viaduct

walking sideways between the crash barrier and the bridge railings .... looking down over the edge, It still has me in a cold sweat remembering it now .....eventually got over it and to the next junction, and not long after got a lift to Knutsford services....thank god there were no CCTV cameras around in the 70s
hopped from one service station to the next and finally got to the end of the M1 at around 7am.......knackered.

at the match....0-0 at half time, everyone sat down...I fell asleep....despite the mayhem around me, I slept through both the goals in the second half in a 1-1 draw

Unread 25-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Wez

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
those weren't even the craziest things I got up to back then getting to games. Wez........

first away for me was QPR ....on my own, 9decided to go on a school trip) ...set off Friday night hitchhiking down to London ....got a lift off some bloke to the M62/M6 junction....on the slip road....stood there for about an hour, cars shooting past at 70mph plus...I decided I wasn't gonna get a lift there, so I started walking along the hard shoulder...got to the first junction tried there for a bit but hardly any cars were coming on....so I decided to walk to the next junction.....only trouble was, a big £#%&! off bridge...the Thelwall Viaduct

walking sideways between the crash barrier and the bridge railings .... looking down over the edge, It still has me in a cold sweat remembering it now .....eventually got over it and to the next junction, and not long after got a lift to Knutsford services....thank god there were no CCTV cameras around in the 70s
hopped from one service station to the next and finally got to the end of the M1 at around 7am.......knackered.

at the match....0-0 at half time, everyone sat down...I fell asleep....despite the mayhem around me, I slept through both the goals in the second half in a 1-1 draw
Bloody hell mate

Some effort that to get to a game

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:12 PM
red in cumbria

Tbf that's such an amazing story I don't really care if its actually true or not

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:12 PM
denis lawless

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Bloody hell mate

Some effort that to get to a game
Looking back, any sane person would have chosen a much closer to home fixture for their first away game

The nativity of youth .......

On one occasion, with a mate in tow....we tried to get to Wolves away and ended up in Nottingham ...via Blyth () ....an hour before kick off......missed the game, obv.

I blame him entirely.....for some reason he thought the M1 was the best route down to Wolverhampton ....£#%&! knows how we ended up in Blyth though.....i suppose I should be glad the driver didn't want to £#%&! us

How I survived a trip down to another London away with some reds that picked me up hiking again AND brought me back , I'll never know......they took some spare petrol with them in the boot....not in a proper sealed container.....but in a bucket, with a plank of wood on top

Really mental times tbh

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:17 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Tbf that's such an amazing story I don't really care if its actually true or not
Absolutely true riccers.......one other snippet about that trip.....i had a morning to kill so I decided to spend in in Soho....an eye opener for a school kid ....blew my dinner money on a handful of goes on the peepshows

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Wez

Thumbs up

Quote:
I

Looking back, any sane person would have chosen a much closer to home fixture for their first away game

The nativity of youth .......

On one occasion, with a mate in tow....we tried to get to Wolves away and ended up in Nottingham ...via Blyth () ....an hour before kick off......missed the game, obv.

I blame him entirely.....for some reason he thought the M1 was the best route down to Wolverhampton ....£#%&! knows how we ended up in Blyth though.....i suppose I should be glad the driver didn't want to £#%&! us

How I survived a trip down to another London away with some reds that picked me up hiking again AND brought me back , I'll never know......they took some spare petrol with them in the boot....not in a proper sealed container.....but in a bucket, with a plank of wood on top

Really mental times tbh
ffs

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Cream

A bucket of petrol.

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:30 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
ffs
I know ....absolutely mental, even at that age I thought it was wrong......but i just thought, f*** it, I'm getting a lift straight there n back

I remember the car being a total shed......doing anything over 40 mph, the wind was getting under the plastic inner lining and pushing it downwards....most of the journey it was resting on our heads

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Denis Irwell

Bucket of petrol + plank

Up at Newcastle, the day Best was threatened with an IRA bullet (said he never stood still all game) got split up after the match and given a chasing by geordies. Gave em the slip but was totally lost. Thought I was £#%&!ing dead with them marauding all over. Mini screeches to a halt and lads jump out. Turns out they were Reds, one of them with an eye half hanging out. They gave me a lift to the station and I got on the waiting train - found mates. Under siege with geordies raining bricks and stuff down on the train, one of our lads had a stammer and had his head out of the window giving it the “f-f-f-f-£#%&! off you g-g-g-Geordie.....” and got hit full in the face with a meat pie. You had to be there.

Unread 25-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Wez

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Bucket of petrol + plank

Up at Newcastle, the day Best was threatened with an IRA bullet (said he never stood still all game) got split up after the match and given a chasing by geordies. Gave em the slip but was totally lost. Thought I was £#%&!ing dead with them marauding all over. Mini screeches to a halt and lads jump out. Turns out they were Reds, one of them with an eye half hanging out. They gave me a lift to the station and I got on the waiting train - found mates. Under siege with geordies raining bricks and stuff down on the train, one of our lads had a stammer and had his head out of the window giving it the “f-f-f-f-£#%&! off you g-g-g-Geordie.....” and got hit full in the face with a meat pie. You had to be there.

Unread 26-01-2018, 03:38 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez

Released a lot of tension, I can tell you. Broken glass everywhere, then “splat”

George scored the winner, obvs. Took more than a sniper to stop that lad.

Unread 26-01-2018, 07:58 AM
no fun

Den did you go to notts county away, last away game when we were in division 2?

That was the best/worst for mindless vandalism I ever went to, their ground got absolutely ruined

Unread 26-01-2018, 08:04 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun

That was the best/worst for mindless vandalism I ever went to, their ground got absolutely ruined
Just a bit before my match going time.....around 77 when I started going.

Unread 26-01-2018, 10:02 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun

Unread 26-01-2018, 10:28 AM
thatsfuctit

Berts away 76/77*

*apologies if its already on the thread, but one of the 'benefits' of being an old fart is forgetting that you watched it half an hour ago, and enjoying it again.

Unread 26-01-2018, 12:05 PM
zanzare

Quote:

Worse violence I witnessed back then was actually at a Burnley v Celtic Anglo Scottish tie a mates dad took us to.....railings pulled up and used as javlins bottles and concrete raining down on fans .... Fortunately we were on the opposite side of the pitch from it all......how nobody died ,I'll never know.

Worse United violence i actually experienced was v Leeds away.....our bus back to the train station got severely bricked ....my flares were also in danger that day
That was the game that the plod sent dogs into the crowd on long leads, and the porridge **** killed one (iirc)

Unread 26-01-2018, 01:06 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

top thread with some great stories

Unread 26-01-2018, 02:45 PM
no fun

Told this before, but my funniest/scariest moment came at the fa cup semi replay at Goodson v Liverpool in 1979 ( 1- 0, greenhoff)

Had arranged to meet 2 mates in the royal pub in wythenshawe about half five then drive over to dippersville, just before we set off a lad in the pub who was a bit older than us, but we knew just on nodding terms asked if he could come along...he had no ticket but would either jib in or get a ticket outside...his name was Les

Get to the game, park up about a mile from the ground, moody as £#%&!, scousers everywhere looking for us, we just kept our heads down and got to our end, Les got a ticket face value and in we go

Anyway, greenhoff wins it for us and it’s wembley here we come

Outside the ground it’s very nasty, the 4 of us say stick together, say £#%&! all and get to the car ASAP

Doing ok until about 100 yards from the car, gang of mickeys on the corner see the 4 of us and sends ove this nipper, aged about 12, who asks “ got the time on yer, la?”

He’s waiting to hear our accents, but before any of us responds, Les volleys him in the %@#$&!s, then starts to stamp all over him. The scouse gang across the road can’t believe what they’ve just seen, so it delays them chasing us...we are off like usain bolt, me and a mate ended up lying in this back garden scared to breathe

About an hour later we make our way back to the car, Les is waiting for us

We ask why the £#%&! he had just battered a 12 year old, he replies “ little @#%&! was trying to suss us out, if he’s old enough for that he’s old enough for a kicking...no @#%&! does that to me”

We decided not to debate his viewpoint, which is just as well because when we recounted this tale in the pub the following weekend it turns out Les was a £#%&!ing loon who had periodic mental health episodes and hadn’t long been out of Risley

Still laugh when I picture that little scouser getting booted in the knackers, but it could have been bad news for us if we had been caught

Unread 26-01-2018, 03:07 PM
92ToBury

Quote:

didn't have my first curry till the mid 80s.......

and had a right arm like Arnold Schwarzenegger

although at that age, rumbling in your pockets for change was all you needed to set yourself off
Aye, bigger coins back then.

Unread 26-01-2018, 06:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Just a bit before my match going time.....around 77 when I started going.
Didn't know you were THAT old, pal