Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:01 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Absolutely horrific first half

Lucky that his £#%&! ups against Barca and tonight haven’t lead to a goal

If he’s given a new contract then we’re not serious about getting back to the top

Has to go

That’s a myth
He’s not a good keeper anymore
In fact statistically he’s below average in the PL in nearly every category

It’s a lot more than his really shit distribution that’s an issue

Alison by contrast is really high up in these statistical categories

Dave should have been moved on 4 years ago
He’s cost Liverpool points this season and trips up trying to control the ball every other game.

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:27 AM
Hyman_Roth

If Allison is the best in the prem then he’s not far ahead of de Gea. I thought de Gea had a dreadful 1st half - but Allison effectively got the rats knocked out of the CL the other week.

The margins between the two aren’t that great stats wise so I’m just not sure dropping de Gea and finding another goalkeeper is the answer or the most pressing thing. We’d be swapping de Gea - if we’re being v hard then the 2nd or 3rd best goalkeeper in the prem league for who exactly?

There’s plenty wrong with de Gea. There’s also plenty wrong with most other goalkeepers.

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Wayne Jenkins

He's nowhere near the best in Europe, makes way too many mistakes, and doesn't suit the style the manager is trying to implement.

The fact he can't even get in the Spain squad speaks volumes.

And to top it off he makes 375k a week.

A better, braver keeper will be less error-prone, give more confidence to the back four, and help us when starting attacks.

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:41 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
If Allison is the best in the prem then he’s not far ahead of de Gea. I thought de Gea had a dreadful 1st half - but Allison effectively got the rats knocked out of the CL the other week.

The margins between the two aren’t that great stats wise so I’m just not sure dropping de Gea and finding another goalkeeper is the answer or the most pressing thing. We’d be swapping de Gea - if we’re being v hard then the 2nd or 3rd best goalkeeper in the prem league for who exactly?

There’s plenty wrong with de Gea. There’s also plenty wrong with most other goalkeepers.
The difference this season between them in the PL is huge stat wise

https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/David-de-Gea

https://fbref.com/en/players/7a2e46a8/Alisson

Statistically speaking De Gea is a below average keeper in the PL this season
2nd or 3rd best in the PL

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:58 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
The difference this season between them in the PL is huge stat wise

https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/David-de-Gea

https://fbref.com/en/players/7a2e46a8/Alisson

Statistically speaking De Gea is a below average keeper in the PL this season
2nd or 3rd best in the PL
Perhaps look a little beyond just this season?

Apology accepted.

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:00 AM
dunk

It’s mind blowing the hold de Gea has over some United fans

2nd or 3rd best in the league ffs

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:01 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Perhaps look a little beyond just this season?

Apology accepted.
What does it matter how good he was 5 or 6 years ago, he’s not good anymore and always had huge weaknesses in his game even at his best

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It’s mind blowing the hold de Gea has over some United fans

2nd or 3rd best in the league ffs
If we replace him in the summer we a commanding keeper who is good with the ball at his feet I think many will be shocked at how much of a difference it will make to this team

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:03 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Absolutely horrific first half

Lucky that his £#%&! ups against Barca and tonight haven’t lead to a goal

If he’s given a new contract then we’re not serious about getting back to the top

Has to go

That’s a myth
He’s not a good keeper anymore
In fact statistically he’s below average in the PL in nearly every category

It’s a lot more than his really shit distribution that’s an issue

Alison by contrast is really high up in these statistical categories

Dave should have been moved on 4 years ago
Which categories are these?

He's joint 4th on clean sheet percentage for example. I know dunk will randomly credit defenders with clean sheets but never the keeper, but it's a common goalkeeper stat.

Genuinely wondering which stats you are claiming on this.

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:03 AM
20LEgend1999

Feel quite confident that Ten Hag would very happily replace De Gea given the opportunity. I don't think he's anywhere near the best keepers in the league, and I actually think he's had a good season taking his limitations into account.

Often see the defence made of him being that he makes saves so none of the rest matters. I don't think that's how pretty much any of the top managers seesthe role of the goalkeeper anymore. His weakness in build up and particularly his kicking under pressure is very frustrating to watch. Think it will take a replacement to come in for everyone to realise it.

With that said, we have seen how difficult it is to find the right goalkeeper. City and Liverpool both got it wrong before they got Ederson and Alisson (who despite their errors are very good for their sides). Chelsea still haven't got it right seemingly and I'm not sure who the answer is. It would feel a risk to bring in someone who doesn't known the league, but the Premier League based suggestions of Sanchez and Raya don't fill me with excitement.

Such an important signing to get right, but also very tricky to do so.

Also just seen that only Meslier, Pickford, Ward and Bazunu have conceded more than him. Don't think that necessarily says a lot about just him, but it is noteworthy that they're all terrible goalkeepers.

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:32 AM
tatty

Was one of the best in the world.

Now nowhere near good enough for United.

I would be very surprised if he's still here at the start of next season if ETH has Qatari money.

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:57 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Which categories are these?

He's joint 4th on clean sheet percentage for example. I know dunk will randomly credit defenders with clean sheets but never the keeper, but it's a common goalkeeper stat.

Genuinely wondering which stats you are claiming on this.
I literally linked them up in a post on this page

Those categories are like Post-shot expected goals minus goals against, Crosses Stopped % and Def. Actions Outside Pen. Area
He’s in the bottom percentile of the league for those categories
For crosses stopped he’s actually in the bottom 2% while Allison for comparison is in the top 85 percentile

Even if you’re not into stats it’s obvious by the eye test alone
He’s poor at most aspects of modern goalkeeping

Unread 10-03-2023, 03:03 AM
shenwen

Not remotely interested in his post-shot expected goals stats but the eye test shows clearly he's useless with the ball at his feet. His wayward passing is going to cost us goals at some point.

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Not remotely interested in his post-shot expected goals stats but the eye test shows clearly he's useless with the ball at his feet. His wayward passing is going to cost us goals at some point.
This. Back to doing my £#%&!ing head in last night, his distribution and lack of authority spreads uncertainty to the back line.

People saying he's not the biggest concern, but I disagree. He would have been the best goalkeeper in the world before 2010 but the game has changed and he can no longer fulfill the needs of the team.

Needs binning for someone who doesn't shit themselves when they receive the ball. Regardless of his 'shot stopping'.

Unread 10-03-2023, 12:40 PM
Bunker Buster

Want a goal keeper and striker as the highest priority....

Quietly move this goth out of our club please...

Unread 10-03-2023, 01:36 PM
The taste of...

Thank him

Replace him asap

Close thread

Unread 10-03-2023, 03:38 PM
Neo

Football

Quite simply one of the greatest players in the club's history, and he has the stats to prove it.

A man who can leave your mouth agape with awe at the sight of his superhuman agility.

His highlight reel is a sequence of stunning athleticism and profound reflex. Lets put some respect on the man's name.

Hope he stays another season and bookends his time at the club with another Premier League trophy. #DaveSaves

Unread 10-03-2023, 03:51 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
A better, braver keeper will be less error-prone, give more confidence to the back four, and help us when starting attacks.
Quote:
If we replace him in the summer we a commanding keeper who is good with the ball at his feet I think many will be shocked at how much of a difference it will make to this team
yes, but... who?

personally, I value a keeper who makes saves over passes (and sweeping.... and coming for crosses..... oh). it's bad enough that we have to tolerate ball-playing centre backs*. I'd love it if we could find the bastard son of edwin and scholesy, but.... find me that bastard before you start whining.

* not really, I love varane and martinez

Unread 11-03-2023, 06:08 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Quite simply one of the greatest players in the club's history, and he has the stats to prove it.

A man who can leave your mouth agape with awe at the sight of his superhuman agility.

His highlight reel is a sequence of stunning athleticism and profound reflex. Lets put some respect on the man's name.

Hope he stays another season and bookends his time at the club with another Premier League trophy. #DaveSaves

Get a striker who can add 30 goals to the team and you’d never hear a complaint about De Gea again.

Unread 11-03-2023, 09:40 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Get a striker who can add 30 goals to the team and you’d never hear a complaint about De Gea again.
Looking forward to the 7-5 matches next season.

Unread 11-03-2023, 11:49 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Looking forward to the 7-5 matches next season.
Closed Thread