United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Singy211291

Default Maguire, Overrated?

Personal opinion on him so far this season.

From what I've seen so far, I cant see how we can justify making him the most expensive defender in the world.

Passing is very sloppy, 3 times he gave the ball away against Partizan, nearly costing us a goal.

For a defender brought in to win headers, control opposition and just generally sweep up, he gets beat In the air more often than not. Sometimes looking like hes not even attempting.

At fault for the Chelsea equaliser in the Caraboa Cup, beaten far to easily and dragged out of position.

Linking to the above point, he is far too slow to be playing so high up, most of the players he will come up against will have the beating of him for pace, as proven in many games, especially the last two or three. He needs to work on his positional play and become the defender he can be. If he masters his positional play then his overall game will improve and he will be able dictate play from the back.

Also, since leaving Leicester, they have dramatically improved at the back. Not saying its because he left but is must be playing a part.

Could be an unpopular opinion, as friends have gone against me on this but I stand by it from what I've seen.

I'm not saying he is a bad buy, but I am saying he is not playing the way he should be with the talents he has. He just needs to focus on what hes good at already. He has Lindelof with him, now I know he isnt the fastest either but just let him, or any other CBs push up. He will be able to control the game better if he just focuses more on his strengths.

Opinions?

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:36 PM
armchair

we overpaid but he's still better than any other central defender we have.

needs to start scoring goals from set pieces.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Switching Off

He wasnt the most expensive defender ever due to his talent.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Ethers

The good news Singers, is that we don’t have to justify what we paid for him.

Hope that puts your mind at rest pal.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
we overpaid but he's still better than any other central defender we have.

needs to start scoring goals from set pieces.
Agree somewhat depending on what traits are being judged.

Overall, yeah he is. But he is trying to do everything on his own. He doesn't need to play as forward as he is. He cant play as close to the opposition if they arent near the box because he will get turned and then hes got no chance.

He clearly doesn't have the jumping ability to get above attackers. Should just let it either bounce towards him or let the attacker take a touch and then press him before he turns

But yeah, he is the best we have at the moment which is quite unnerving

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

He's probably about 10-15% better than Smalling.

For £85m, a real find.

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
He wasnt the most expensive defender ever due to his talent.
He shouldn't be, true. But because we are Man United, we get bullied into over paying.

If teams like, Tottenham and Arsenal etc bought him, no way he would have gone for that amount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
The good news Singers, is that we don’t have to justify what we paid for him.

Hope that puts your mind at rest pal.
Hmm, we sort of do I reckon because we have made a point of saying hes the best there is due to that amount.

Hopefully, over time, that price tag is seen as minimal for what he could be worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He's probably about 10-15% better than Smalling.

For £85m, a real find.
Agree with the comparison to Smalling, but Roma bid something around 20 mill for him. 10 - 15% on that is only 22-25 mill so are we 60 mill down?

Unread 09-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Cream

Probably take him a full season. It's normal.

More concerned about Lindelof.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singy211291
Agree with the comparison to Smalling, but Roma bid something around 20 mill for him. 10 - 15% on that is only 22-25 mill so are we 60 mill down?
£60m down is right Singy.

Plus Leicester replaced him from within so we have dropped £85m into their pockets as we aspire to catch them.

However, I have been assured by Jamie Redknapp that "he can play, don't worry about that" so all is not lost.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Probably take him a full season. It's normal.

More concerned about Lindelof.
Oh 100% agree. I'm not judging his potential and United career after so little time.

I'm merely stating what I've seen so far, it will take any player at least a season to settle in but after that season, the critics will really jump on it if he isnt showing what he could be.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Zorg

Quote:
However, I have been assured by Jamie Redknapp that "he can play, don't worry about that" so all is not lost.
phew

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Coracao

A player who could be part of a title winning team, unlike 80% of the others.

Concentration would perhaps be spent on his dysfunctional partner, midfield and a nowhere near good enough attack.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
£60m down is right Singy.

Plus Leicester replaced him from within so we have dropped £85m into their pockets as we aspire to catch them.

Haha the same Jamie Redknapp who wasnt really that good and only forged a decent career because of his more successful dad?

Not a bad player but not really one to judge another's potential in my opinion, especially ones in positions he didn't play.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Sparky***

We've got the 4th best defence in the league. We've only conceded two more goals than Liverpool.

It's not like we're shipping goals for fun.

As Coracao said, If we could actually score some £#%&!ing goals and create some chances, nobody would be saying anything about Maguire.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
A player who could be part of a title winning team, unlike 80% of the others.

Concentration would perhaps be spent on his dysfunctional partner, midfield and a nowhere near good enough attack.
Surely most of our players could be part of a title winning team? Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

As for dysfunctional partner, the only one we have that shouldn't even be a pro really, is Phil Jones haha.

The midfield for sure needs improving, in a creativity aspect. But the attack? Our attack is the best part of our team. Granted we are scoring that much but looking at them individually and the talents they have, all it will take is a little chemistry. As seen against partizan and the majority of the first 30 mins or so of most of our games.

Finishing is off and needs work but the talent is promising.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Surely most of our players could be part of a title winning team? Otherwise they wouldn't be there.

As for dysfunctional partner, the only one we have that shouldn't even be a pro really, is Phil Jones haha.

The midfield for sure needs improving, in a creativity aspect. But the attack? Our attack is the best part of our team. Granted we are scoring that much but looking at them individually and the talents they have, all it will take is a little chemistry. As seen against partizan and the majority of the first 30 mins or so of most of our games.

Finishing is off and needs work but the talent is promising.
Are you taking the piss?

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Football

Quote:
Haha the same Jamie Redknapp who wasnt really that good and only forged a decent career because of his more successful dad?

Not a bad player but not really one to judge another's potential in my opinion, especially ones in positions he didn't play.
He played the game. He knows the game. And he says Maguire can play. "He can play, the boy" he said iirc. And Jamie would know.

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Are you taking the piss?
Are you suggesting 9 goals in the last 10 games isn't very good?

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Singy211291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We've got the 4th best defence in the league. We've only conceded two more goals than Liverpool.

It's not like we're shipping goals for fun.

As Coracao said, If we could actually score some f***ing goals and create some chances, nobody would be saying anything about Maguire.
No we arent shipping goals for fun, true. But when you have 6/7 of the team playing defensively, its gonna be hard to concede goals.

We definitely need to score more goals. That's a given. I'm confident we have the players to do that. I'm just not as confident that Maguire will be what we want him to be (yet)

Unread 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Soviet

No problem with Maguire. Want to see Tuanzebe get fit, and Bailly to get fit and screw his head on.
Closed Thread