United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Well, I certainly don’t disagree that we need better options and I’m sure a lot of the reluctance comes from not trusting his options.

If Jadon Sancho was on the bench, he’d have been on at 70 minutes.
to be honest, after Rashfords recent form and injury issues, he'd have been on the pitch and Rashford on the bench.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:30 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
to be honest, after Rashfords recent form and injury issues, he'd have been on the pitch and Rashford on the bench.
Nah Greenwood would have been on the bench

“My Rashy always starts”

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:32 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
With greatest respect sir (and I mean that): It's not really though is it? It is kinda everything.
he had to decide whether he was better with the players on the pitch or the players on the bench. not whether it would have been nice to have ronaldo to bring on. pretty much everyone could see that sticking with what he had was going nowhere. he didn't gamble. he must take responsibility for his decision. I am sure we can all think of reasons that he did what he did. but we lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Nobody was playing worse or looked more £#%&!ed than Rashford at the time of the substitution.
this is true. it is also true that ole probably shouldn't have played him and probably should have subbed him around the hour mark. they were all looking leggy by the time he made any substitutions. it's not merely that he made the wrong substitutions (fred, ffs), but that he left it too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Clearly a sub to protect Greenwood because he was £#%&!ed and had barely moved or touched the ball for a while, Rashford being the senior player who even on his worst day has form for producing a moment of quality to win a game.
remember when.....

rashford has done £#%&! all recently. he is tired, injured and out of form. greenwood is the one who has consistently conjured up goals out of nothing.

I love rashers. but he has been driven into the ground*.

* thanks must be given to our automotive sponsors.

Quote:
Wish we’d played Arsenal.
wish we'd bought partey instead of fred. so what? we were playing villareal. who offered very little. it was a shit final and we were unable to rise above it. there's only so much "waiting for a moment of brilliance" we can do. we have to find a way to beat teams with ambitions of playing for penalties. as it was, they looked the more likely in extra time, not us.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:34 PM
dunk

If Sancho was in the squad Rashford probably wouldn’t be utterly £#%&!ed tbf.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:36 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he had to decide whether he was better with the players on the pitch or the players on the bench. not whether it would have been nice to have ronaldo to bring on. pretty much everyone could see that sticking with what he had was going nowhere. he didn't gamble. he must take responsibility for his decision. I am sure we can all think of reasons that he did what he did. but we lost.

this is true. it is also true that ole probably shouldn't have played him and probably should have subbed him around the hour mark. they were all looking leggy by the time he made any substitutions. it's not merely that he made the wrong substitutions (fred, ffs), but that he left it too late.

remember when.....

rashford has done £#%&! all recently. he is tired, injured and out of form. greenwood is the one who has consistently conjured up goals out of nothing.

I love rashers. but he has been driven into the ground*.

* thanks must be given to our automotive sponsors.

wish we'd bought partey instead of fred. so what? we were playing villareal. who offered very little. it was a shit final and we were unable to rise above it. there's only so much "waiting for a moment of brilliance" we can do. we have to find a way to beat teams with ambitions of playing for penalties. as it was, they looked the more likely in extra time, not us.
It’s like this is forgotten.

The players they brought on were shit, but having fresh legs made them the better tea in extra time. We had better player on our bench.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:40 PM
dunk

Fresh legs for a team hell bent on defending are vital.

Worse attacking players than those on the pitch aren’t really great when chasing a goal.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Drexl

I personally don't understand this "we were playing villareal, we should win" argument. At best it is arrogant. I certainly wouldn't be bandying it around as though it were fact.

We were playing them because WE are shit imo

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
I personally don't understand this "we were playing villareal, we should win" argument. At best it is arrogant. I certainly wouldn't be bandying it around as though it were fact.

Unbeaten in the EL, so they definitely aren’t shit.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Coracao

Whatever way you dress it up, it was a shocking managerial performance.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:51 PM
jem

Quote:
If Sancho was in the squad Rashford probably wouldn’t be utterly £#%&!ed tbf.
yeah. can see it now.

boss, what are we going to do?

well, if we had sancho, rashford wouldn't be £#%&!ed. and, if sancho were on the bench, I could bring him on.

but boss, what are we going to do?

100 mins in.... boss what are we going to do?

what?! oh, sorry... I was dreaming about sancho again.

Quote:

I mentioned we were playing villareal because dunk said he'd rather we were playing arsenal.

we had no divine right to win. we had to earn it. the fact is that villareal weren't really doing much, though. they were actually shit in the final. and our big players weren't producing. at least bringing on some fresh legs would have made sense. villareal changed half their team.

Unread 29-05-2021, 01:56 PM
dunk

Villarreal’s football is the absolute worst for the team to play against being the point, as you well know.

Substitutions for the sake of substitutions aren’t the way forwards and are every bit as hopefully as not making any.

Unread 29-05-2021, 02:12 PM
AK14

Quote:

It’s not that “we should win” but more the fact that the excuse our bench wasn’t good enough to come on and at the very least offer fresh legs or many even make a difference is just ridiculous.

We had better player than them on the bench but the manager chose not to use them, which was a mistake.

Quote:
Villarreal’s football is the absolute worst for the team to play against being the point, as you well know.

Substitutions for the sake of substitutions aren’t the way forwards and are every bit as hopefully as not making any.
Jesus...

I’m out.

Unread 29-05-2021, 02:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
It’s not that “we should win” but more the fact that the excuse our bench wasn’t good enough to come on and at the very least offer fresh legs or many even make a difference is just ridiculous.

We had better player than them on the bench but the manager chose not to use them, which was a mistake.

Jesus...

I’m out.
We know all about your manic desire for substitutions regardless of performance or situation, so probably best you’re out tbh.

And we had better players than them on the bench, in theory, but not better than what we had or more effective than what we had on the pitch. It’s really not difficult. Dan James came on and touched the ball twice, and that was decent for him

As I said, I’d have put Amad on at the very least, but I can understand why he opted not to throw 3rd choice attackers and untried kids on with 20 minutes of normal time remaining at 1-1.

Unread 29-05-2021, 02:55 PM
Coracao

Quote:
We know all about your manic desire for substitutions regardless of performance or situation, so probably best you’re out tbh.

And we had better players than them on the bench, in theory, but not better than what we had or more effective than what we had on the pitch. It’s really not difficult. Dan James came on and touched the ball twice, and that was decent for him

As I said, I’d have put Amad on at the very least, but I can understand why he opted not to throw 3rd choice attackers and untried kids on with 20 minutes of normal time remaining at 1-1.
Players on the bench aren't better than those starting?

It is a wonder any team bothers to make subs at all then.

Unread 29-05-2021, 02:56 PM
jem

Quote:

yes, but the point is that we were playing villareal. we didn't have sancho. and ole did nothing. and we lost.

I already acknowledged above that doing nothing could be seen as a brave decision. but we lost and he has to take responsibility for the choices he made. personally, I would not have started rashford, because I did not want pogba in the midfield. the team would have had a better balance and we would have had rashford as an option from the bench. you would have swapped de gea for henderson for the penalties (well... you would have started henderson). who knows what would have happened? all we know is what did happen. and ole is responsible for that.

Unread 29-05-2021, 03:02 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Players on the bench aren't better than those starting?

It is a wonder any team bothers to make subs at all then.
Ok, they offered nothing different. They would most likely have reduced our chances of scoring.

Most clubs have alternatives and options, we have dregs.

Unread 29-05-2021, 03:06 PM
est.1878

If ever one of our threads needed rawk locking it's this...

Let it go, go get some sun on yer legs...

Unread 29-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
If ever one of our threads needed rawk locking it's this...

Let it go, go get some sun on yer legs...
On the way to town for booze with Mrs Roth.

£#%&! united.

Unread 29-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Ok, they offered nothing different. They would most likely have reduced our chances of scoring.

Most clubs have alternatives and options, we have dregs.
He should sign some better players then.

4-5 of his signings were on the bench and now we're told he can't trust any of them. Or they're not good enough.

He had a shocker. Not sure why it is difficult to accept it.

Unread 29-05-2021, 03:16 PM
dunk

I do t understand why you find it so difficult to read and comprehend, but oh well.