United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
Errrr yes he has!
He very rarely played as the deepest, 'holding' midfielder apart from the first couple of months of the season.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:22 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
He very rarely played as the deepest, 'holding' midfielder apart from the first couple of months of the season.
On occasion he played RB to cover for injuries, if he was picked as one of two CM's where did he play?

In front of Scholes/Carrick/Anderson........

Sometimes he might have run past them, but he always went back.....is that what's confusing you?

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Ether

Quote:
On occasion he played RB to cover for injuries, if he was picked as one of two CM's where did he play?

In front of Scholes/Carrick/Anderson........

Sometimes he might have run past them, but he always went back.....is that what's confusing you?
Side by side at times, mental idea I know. I really can't remember many times in the 2nd half of the season where he was obviously playing a holding role.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:34 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Side by side at times, mental idea I know. I really can't remember many times in the 2nd half of the season where he was obviously playing a holding role.
So the midfielders went backwards and forwards together 3 legged race stylee, or did one tend to go forward more than the other, while one realised or had been instructed to limit their forward movement a little to offer the defence some cover?

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:35 PM
borsuk

our best attacking m/f this season is giggs by a distance

if all are fit and in form next season our best m/f will be... dependent on who we play. fergie is the best at what he does because he knows what different players and different combinations bring to the side. who foresaw carrick being put on the bench against chelsea? and who would forsee that fletcher wouldn't start any of the next few games after that great performance against chelsea? can't see the point in this 'so and so is our first choice...' tbh.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Ether

Quote:
So the midfielders went backwards and forwards together 3 legged race stylee, or did one tend to go forward more than the other, while one realised or had been instructed to limit their forward movement a little to offer the defence some cover?
One midfielder being more defensively minded doesn't automatically mean he's playing a holding role with his priority being to shield the back four.

The few times he played with Carrick for example, I remember Carrick doing just as much covering as Hargreaves.

Unread 30-01-2009, 09:43 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
One midfielder being more defensively minded doesn't automatically mean he's playing a holding role with his priority being to shield the back four.

The few times he played with Carrick for example, I remember Carrick doing just as much covering as Hargreaves.
Ok ok we'll beg to differ, although I'm right and you're wrong.

But I need to get off in a mo and wearing you down is taking some time.

So a quick "FLC you are right and I am wrong" and we'll say no more about it...

Unread 31-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Crumps

TBF if the the injury he had was the one reported 3 or 4 months proper rest when we signed him would have cleared it up. Top player and a 3 man midfield of him, Carrick and Ando would be £#%&!ing perfect imo. Rafael and Paddy at full back with Ronnie, Rooney and Berbs in front of them or if we can get him big Barren Dent instead of Berbs.

Unread 31-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Spiffy

Of course he'll be fit within the next 7 months. Will he be cured or will it be 1 game and then out for months again?

Considering he had this problem before he came, we got £#%&!ed over royally on the price. We should have signed someone who we could actually put on the pitch regularly.

At least Everton got Saha for free.

Unread 31-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Mr_Ed

This thread is funny... Hargo is a class midfielder. He didn't play a lot due to injuries last season and it's obvious his knees were £#%&!ed.

Given time and a run in the team him and Carrick will be a fine midfield pairing.
Closed Thread