United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Robbie Keane, new Spurs captain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-transfer.html

Tottenham angered over Robbie Keane's Liverpool transfer
Liverpool last night completed the signing of Robbie Keane from Tottenham on a four-year contract for an initial fee of £19 million, but the move did not pass off without controversy.

By Graham Chase
Last Updated: 4:01PM BST 29 Jul 2008

Walk on: Robbie Keane's move to Liverpool angered Spurs chairman Daniel Levy Photo: PA
Although Liverpool apologised for the 'inappropriate' way that their official website had reported comments made by manager Rafael Benitez regarding Keane – prompting the London club to drop an official complaint to of tapping up – Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was still left furious by events.

"I have already made my opinion clear on this transaction," Levy said. "I don't regard it as a transfer deal – that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade – this is very much an enforced sale."

"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect.

"They have apologised and agreed to make a donation to our club's main charity. Tottenham has therefore agreed not to pursue its official complaint to the Premier League."

After weeks of talks between the clubs, Keane passed a medical at Liverpool's Melwood training ground, having already agreed personal terms that will see him paid in the region of £80,000 a week, with manager Rafael Benitez hoping to include him in the squad for a friendly against Spanish team Villarreal tomorrow.

Although Benitez, who has not given up hope of signing Gareth Barry from Aston Villa, has already brought in five players this summer, Republic of Ireland captain Keane, 28, represents his first major addition ahead of the Premier League campaign.

Keane's price could eventually rise to £20.3 million, with a further £20 million to be committed to his wages. Initially Liverpool were keen to include Peter Crouch in part exchange but he moved to Portsmouth so they had to settle for a cash deal, which is a major gamble for Benitez.

After playing for Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan, Leeds and Spurs between 1999 and 2002, Keane established himself as a consistent performer at Premier League level at Tottenham. Yet while he scored more than 10 league goals in each of his six campaigns there, the most he managed was 16 in the 2005/06 season.

£58m

The amount, in cumulative transfer fees, that has been spent on Robbie Keane over the course of his career.

It is the largest amount lavished on any British or Irish player, ahead of the likes of Rio Ferdinand (£47.1 million) and David Beckham (£23.3 million).

However, Keane is still not in the top five all-time most expensive players. Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka leads that list on £84.8 million

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

You seem to be getting into Spurs these days Bedders.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Great news this for Manchester United and it's supporters.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
You seem to be getting into Spurs these days Bedders.
well, this is a Spurs messageboard after all, don't wanna upset the locals.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Great news this for Manchester United and it's supporters.
Yup, great to see a former favourite return to little United.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Bunker Buster

here he comes with his 'Football newspaper links'

'Cut and past Colin' and his totally irrelevant news that no-one gives a flying £#%&! about, or could have guessed.

Thanks bandwidth thief.

Your a Mess.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

'Cut and past Colin' and his totally irrelevant news that no-one gives a flying £#%&! about, or could have guessed.

Thanks bandwidth thief.

Your a Mess.
I have upset you I see. Sorry BB.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I have upset you I see. Sorry BB.
Right.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Right.
I can tell you're pursing your lips.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Ginners

Quote:

Thanks bandwidth thief.

Your a Mess.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Get a room lads.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
You pleased that a Judas of 6 months ago is little Uniteds new captain?

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
You pleased that a Judas of 6 months ago is little Uniteds new captain?
leave it now jabbers.

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Ah, didn't realise it was attempted satire.

Sorry, I'll £#%&! off now then

Unread 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
leave it now jabbers.
What, it's a genuine question, just 'cos BB's upset at me 'cos I said elsewhere that he poos in a bbucket doesn't make it less valid. I find it surprising, given recent event that he'd be made Captain, made a transfer request after all. Normally love talking Spurs?

Unread 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
koppas

Default Its all well and good Spurs signing Robbie Keane and Jermaine Defoe...

but does anyone else think that the signings are going to make £#%&! all difference to the side? They are gonna have the exact same problem - Keane and Defoe cant play together. The latter got pissed off and demanded a move. If he dont get games, the same thing will happen. Scoring goals aint been their problem anyway, keeping them out has been the problem. Pascal Chimbonda aint gonna plug the holes that they have. Very odd and pointless signings in my opinion and disastrous ones come end the season. Harry will be out by start of next season.

Sorry for the non United rant but its something i wanted to get off my chest.

Unread 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
but does anyone else think that the signings are going to make £#%&! all difference to the side? They are gonna have the exact same problem - Keane and Defoe cant play together. The latter got pissed off and demanded a move. If he dont get games, the same thing will happen. Scoring goals aint been their problem anyway, keeping them out has been the problem. Pascal Chimbonda aint gonna plug the holes that they have. Very odd and pointless signings in my opinion and disastrous ones come end the season. Harry will be out by start of next season.

Sorry for the non United rant but its something i wanted to get off my chest.
How much have they spent on right backs in the last year or so? Corluka, Hutton and now the return of the Chim. It's like Rafa and left backs.

Unread 04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Sloppy

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/group.php?do=create call it spurs.

Unread 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
dunk

Is this an admission that Ledley King is actually £#%&!ed for good?

Shame if it is.

Unread 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Great idea. This Spurs love-in WUM has got very boring
Closed Thread