United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-01-2013, 09:44 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Yeah, £#%&!ing outrageous.
Ronaldo was only here for a few years & as soon as he put his game together on a consistent basis he couldn't wait to get out the door.

Giggs on the other hand is a living legend & the most decorated Manchester United player in history. You're quite right, they shouldn't be bracketed together.
Yes, most decorated, one of the biggest legends at the club. Up there with the likes of Sir Matt, Fergie, Robbo, Charlton, Best and Law. Amazing achievement to play that long at the top. All those things x 100. Bigger club legend than Ronaldo will ever be.

Basing it purely on footballing terms though, you'd have to be a bit silly to claim he ever reached the levels that Ronaldo has. Not even close.

In fact, if you could analyse Giggs' best season (if you could get anyone to agree when that actually was) and mark each game out of 10, and do the same with Kanchelskis, you'd probably find Kanchelskis had the better season for us, in his all too brief stay at the club.

Giggs has had more piss poor games (6 out of 10 and below), than any other player in the history of the club. Granted, that's a compliment in many ways, but it still holds true.

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:16 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
In fact, if you could analyse Giggs' best season (if you could get anyone to agree when that actually was) and mark each game out of 10, and do the same with Kanchelskis, you'd probably find Kanchelskis had the better season for us, in his all too brief stay at the club.
And bring on the gifs.

What a plum.

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Yes, most decorated, one of the biggest legends at the club. Up there with the likes of Sir Matt, Fergie, Robbo, Charlton, Best and Law. Amazing achievement to play that long at the top. All those things x 100. Bigger club legend than Ronaldo will ever be.

Basing it purely on footballing terms though, you'd have to be a bit silly to claim he ever reached the levels that Ronaldo has. Not even close.

Giggs has had more piss poor games (6 out of 10 and below), than any other player in the history of the club. Granted, that's a compliment in many ways, but it still holds true.
Absolutely love Poppy and his Giggs vendetta

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFF
Just beat the Vermins, and away and city, Chelsea,and arse at home, and 7 points clear, might moan, but that would be £#%&!ing stupid.
I understand your point and agree completely. We've had some belting results and are in a great position.

Confusing post though as we beat City and Chelsea away.

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
There was a moment, I think it was on about 70 minutes, where a Liverpool move broke down and the ball fell to Valencia about 5 or 10 yards outside the box with a good chance to counter quickly. We didn't...why? Because the out ball would have required him to hit a crossfield pass with his left, and he couldn't. Physically couldn't. Instead he knocked it square with his right and the momentum was lost.

It's impossible to hold our wide players to the standards set by their predecessors and find that sort of shit acceptable. Sorry, it just isn't.
not sure if serious

how many players in the United team would you actually fancy for this crossfield ball with their wrong foot btw?

how many of our previous wingers would have seen what you could see and/or would have been up to playing it?

I want names, and I want numbers.

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I understand your point and agree completely. We've had some belting results and are in a great position.

you getting confused cus of the way it's written i'm guessing

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:35 PM
MIFF

So the last 10 games Utd v Vermins at OT won 9 lost 1, scousebusting carries on

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
you getting confused cus of the way it's written i'm guessing
Yep.

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:42 PM
MIFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

Yep, thought that was clear in post! In my Stella induced head it was

Unread 13-01-2013, 10:55 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
And bring on the gifs.

What a plum.
More than willing to back it up. Pick what you think has been Giggs' best season (not easy i know, as there hasn't been a stand out one). Then I'll pick what I think to have been Kanchelskis' best season. Then pick as many places as you like where they give performance marks out of 10 for each game (newspaper, official club site, beeb, sky sports etc.). Then take an average score and see who has had the better season.

I GUARANTEE it won't be Giggs.

Trust me on this. I know my onions. I've got a couple of mates who even call me a modern day Rinus Michels. And they're only half joking.

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
More than willing to back it up. Pick what you think has been Giggs' best season (not easy i know, as there hasn't been a stand out one). Then I'll pick what I think to have been Kanchelskis' best season. Then pick as many places as you like where they give performance marks out of 10 for each game (newspaper, official club site, beeb, sky sports etc.). Then take an average score and see who has had the better season.

I GUARANTEE it won't be Giggs.

Trust me on this. I know my onions. I've got a couple of mates who even call me a modern day Rinus Michels. And they're only half joking.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but would that be 93/94 by any chance?

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:03 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
giggs' best season
97/98

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:04 PM
poppy

Yes, ok. Those two season we'll go by. Hang on. Back with their scores in a mo.

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Yes, ok. Those two season we'll go by. Hang on. Back with their scores in a mo.
To save you the trouble, Giggs got 11 in all his best ever seasons

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:07 PM
poppy

Thumbs up

Kanchelskis average match score: 8.4

Giggs average match score: 7.2

(for the entire season - league games only)

I must admit, even I'm surprised at that. I assumed it would be closer.

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:11 PM
poppy

Also worth noting that Kanchelskis scored a goal just over every 4 games for United. Giggs manages a goal just shy of every 6 games.

Interesting stuff.

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:21 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
not sure if serious

how many players in the United team would you actually fancy for this crossfield ball with their wrong foot btw?

how many of our previous wingers would have seen what you could see and/or would have been up to playing it?

I want names, and I want numbers.
Similarly, I'm not sure if you believe this or just fancy an argument.

Why are you making excuses for him? How many times since he's been at United has Valencia cut inside and either crossed, or shot? Why is it suddenly asking too much for a wide player to have this option? How many times has he even switched play with his left under any circumstances let alone the example I've used? Why would we praise the well rounded technique of a Ronaldo, or even a Nani, yet excuse Valencia? How many times have we seen Valencia's options severly restricted because of his one dimensional technique, usually resulting the safe option of a pass back/sideways?

Even more pertinently, when did it become acceptable for a player such as this to represent Manchester United?

Unread 13-01-2013, 11:25 PM
armchair

severe lack of rawk nuggets, so with no hint of irony, i'm locking this.

this thread is a monster without the need to go way off topic. so there
Closed Thread