United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I'm sorry to hear that. Now, understand this: nobody here cares what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
he certainly is now

Just read this.

On my list of absolutely essential books. Thought oif Grimson during it but a terrible story and genuinely sad.

Clinical depression is a genuinely sad thing - poor Enke.

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath

Just read this.

On my list of absolutely essential books. Thought oif Grimson during it but a terrible story and genuinely sad.

Clinical depression is a genuinely sad thing - poor Enke.
Read it recently myself. Absolutely brilliant book. Ended up hating Barcelona after it. Couldn't help but piss myself laughing after he left the press conference at fenerbache and immediately decided he was retiring! Great insight into depression though.

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Whip Hubley

Ditto, finished the book just before christmas. Heartbreaking, obviously no happy ending just hopefully lessons to be learned. Would strongly recommend.

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Paul_Parker
Ditto, finished the book just before christmas. Heartbreaking, obviously no happy ending just hopefully lessons to be learned. Would strongly recommend.
Jumping under a train?

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
Read it recently myself. Absolutely brilliant book. Ended up hating Barcelona after it. Couldn't help but piss myself laughing after he left the press conference at fenerbache and immediately decided he was retiring! Great insight into depression though.
Wonderful on so many levels - as a goalie yourself you must have really 'got' big parts of it. I'm terrified that if I know so little about goalkeeping, do I equally know bugger all about the other positions and have I been kidding myself for the last 20 years that I know football?

A true must read book - poor bastard.

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Wonderful on so many levels - as a goalie yourself you must have really 'got' big parts of it. I'm terrified that if I know so little about goalkeeping, do I equally know bugger all about the other positions and have I been kidding myself for the last 20 years that I know football?

A true must read book - poor bastard.
Yea it was hard to know what to think really. I could relate to a lot of it goalkeeping wise but other stuff I doubted. Like when he was talking about how he could tell if there was 1 milimetre of the grip on the glove was off. To me that was a sign of his mind being not quite there but then maybe I just doubted it because I don't undestand just how good the keepers really are.
One thing I noticed though, see how they were talking about how he made himself big for one on ones. Stood tall and turned one knee in so as not to be nutmegged, you watch de gea. He does it too. He's the only keeper that does it the way enke did. All the while I just kept thimking, go back to £#%&!ing lisbon, but don't think it would have made much difference tbh.
Truly sad story.

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Yea it was hard to know what to think really. I could relate to a lot of it goalkeeping wise but other stuff I doubted. Like when he was talking about how he could tell if there was 1 milimetre of the grip on the glove was off. To me that was a sign of his mind being not quite there but then maybe I just doubted it because I don't undestand just how good the keepers really are.
One thing I noticed though, see how they were talking about how he made himself big for one on ones. Stood tall and turned one knee in so as not to be nutmegged, you watch de gea. He does it too. He's the only keeper that does it the way enke did. All the while I just kept thimking, go back to £#%&!ing lisbon, but don't think it would have made much difference tbh.
Truly sad story.
Good post that

Agreed re de Gea - don't you need to be really fit to be able to move from that position into a 'saving' position though?

I also wonder how much his scaphoid injury played a part - that seemed to come at a terrible time for him.

Can't remember the last time a book moved me like this.

BTW - what was that Argie keeper on, the one who practiced not flinching by having the ball booted into his face and having his nose broken

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
rogieop

Quote:

Good post that

Agreed re de Gea - don't you need to be really fit to be able to move from that position into a 'saving' position though?

I also wonder how much his scaphoid injury played a part - that seemed to come at a terrible time for him.

Can't remember the last time a book moved me like this.

BTW - what was that Argie keeper on, the one who practiced not flinching by having the ball booted into his face and having his nose broken
Ha ha ha. Yeah I remember reading that and thinking where the £#%&! did they get that @#%&! from. Yea snow was saying it was extremely tough to move from that position to spring and make a save if there was a rebound. Id imagine so. Loved the relationshid he had with Adler, and that other young keeper he rang after he conceded a shed load of goals. Seemed like a genuinely great fella. God help his missus. Loved all the poems he was writing for her and stuff. There was some truly awful bits though, when he told her he was driving round looking for places to kill himself. That was hard to read. Really felt for her. Agree though, its one of the only books I've read that I can genuinely say it touched me.not afraid to admit I welled up a few times.

Unread 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Ha ha ha. Yeah I remember reading that and thinking where the £#%&! did they get that @#%&! from.

Unread 02-01-2013, 06:48 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Kind of makes sense.....

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Grimson

He was a really good keeper, Bonano. But yeah, a little crazy.
Closed Thread