United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
To be honest i'm not too bothered if we "overpay" for a player if he turns out to be a success for us.
You're not bothered when other areas need strengthening?

We only have a budget of £25m this summer and we could with a right-back. Even a winger wouldnt go amiss IMO.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Top post.

I dont think Ramos is massively bothered either way, he just wants it sorted. Spurs are trying to rinse us for every penny, because they know they can. Given how much they're spent since January, they'd probably be quite happy to sell.

I think most would agree that £20m+ is ridiculous, especially considering we could do with a new right-back.
I honestly don't get your point. If we spend the £24 million you say we can get Aguero for we still don't get a right back, so what's it got to do with anything. Again though, if we spend £25 million and he gets 30 goals, who gives a shit?

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:38 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
You're not bothered when other areas need strengthening?

We only have a budget of £25m this summer and we could with a right-back. Even a winger wouldnt go amiss IMO.
Yeah but you aren't mentioning any players who'd be cheaper as alternatives.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
You think we can get a player cheaply even though he's just signed a new long term deal and has stated he wants eventually to go to Real? Diarra cost £25 million going from Lyon to Real and he was a defensive midfielder.
Diarra, whilst being a midfielder was more experienced and a few years older than Benzema.

In any case, I've not said anywhere that we would 'get him on the cheap'.

If Fergie rates Cambell, I would be happy to wait till next season and buy a striker then.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Diarra, whilst being a midfielder was more experienced and a few years older than Benzema.

In any case, I've not said anywhere that we would 'get him on the cheap'.

If Fergie rates Cambell, I would be happy to wait till next season and buy a striker then.
So you think we aren't in need of a striker? I don't know another Red who would be happy going through another season with only Tevez and Rooney up front.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
I honestly don't get your point. If we spend the £24 million you say we can get Aguero for we still don't get a right back, so what's it got to do with anything. Again though, if we spend £25 million and he gets 30 goals, who gives a shit?
If we get Argeuro for £24m, we would at least be getting a player who is worth the money.

If we spend that on Berbatov, its a bit of a waste IMO.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
If we get Argeuro for £24m, we would at least be getting a player who is worth the money.

If we spend that on Berbatov, its a bit of a waste IMO.
and there's the rub, it's nowt to do with the cost, or needing a right back, you just don't rate Berbatov. Now that's fair enough, just don't get why you didn't say that from the start.

Can I ask though, if he got 30 goals next year, would he not be worth the money. given that he's got 23 for Spurs the last 2 years, do you think it's out of the question that he could do so?

as for aguero, have you seen much of him? Do you think we need another short off striker?

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Yeah but you aren't mentioning any players who'd be cheaper as alternatives.
Thats my point. If Benzema, Arguero, whoever are not available this summer, spend the money on other areas of the squad.

Quote:
So you think we aren't in need of a striker? I don't know another Red who would be happy going through another season with only Tevez and Rooney up front.
Umm...you're not paying enough attention, given that I'd just mentioned Campbell.

You mention other Reds, but I think its fair to say many are not enamoured by the potential signing of Berbatov...

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:49 PM
dunk

Quote:
Dont agree with that at all.

Thats would be around £24m then.
It's true, the bidding for Benzema, when they want to sell him, will start around £25 -35m, depending on the length of contract left at the time. The only way you would get him for that is if he insisted on signing for only 1 club, thereby tying Lyon's hands. That isn't going to happen.

Aguero cost Atleti £17m ish, which would make him £35m at double his price.

If you think that a club like Atletico would let a player go for only £4m-8m profit, especially one of the quality of Aguero, then you are very naive. It's one thing clearing £20-25m pure profit on a Torres, another entriely giving away an assest like Aguero for a measly £4-8m.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:49 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Umm...you're not paying enough attention, given that I'd just mentioned Campbell.

You mention other Reds, but I think its fair to say many are not enamoured by the potential signing of Berbatov...
C'mon, you can't expect him to be a main striker at the European Champions after a season at Hull. I hope he stays and gets some experience but to expect more isn't to my mind realistic.

I'm sure plenty of people aren't Berbatov fans, bet they want a striker all the same.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:52 PM
keano's love

on the basis of some posts, people want these players.

Benzema --> won't come for many reasons, happy at lyon, aulas is a @#%&! and more than anything, he has said if he leaves he wants to go to madrid. With ronaldo it was 5 years. with him circus would start from the day he would join.

Huntelaar --> Ajax have said they want 20m or above. I am not sure I would want to spend 20m on a striker who is a bit on the slower side and main quality being his finishing. And if he was such a good striker, surely he would have been given a bigger role at euro 2008? van basten chose not to bring him when he was losing. I understand that international is not best way to judge a player but 20m is just a huge risk on him. And he needs to play regularly to improve as a player and more than anything adjust to premier league.

Santa cruz --> just plain average. slow, average touch. decent finisher. And for that we will have to pay 15m. as well give campbell a go if this is the only striker we have.

Berbatov --> we get

1. Penalty taker.
2. One who can take freekicks ( we will need that after £#%&!face departs )
3. excellent touch
4. at his peak and experienced
5. good pace
6. good finisher

dunk

Quote:
C'mon, you can't expect him to be a main striker at the European Champions after a season at Hull. I hope he stays and gets some experience but to expect more isn't to my mind realistic.

I'm sure plenty of people aren't Berbatov fans, bet they want a striker all the same.
I'm not, but in the current climate, given that we aren't after Huntelaar, he will have to do. He'll make a big difference in games against the top sides as well, adding a bit of size to the forward line. I accept he will do well, I just don't like his attitude or age and would much prefer a younger man with everything to prove.

Vic Mackey

Quote:
and there's the rub, it's nowt to do with the cost, or needing a right back, you just don't rate Berbatov. Now that's fair enough, just don't get why you didn't say that from the start.

Can I ask though, if he got 30 goals next year, would he not be worth the money. given that he's got 23 for Spurs the last 2 years, do you think it's out of the question that he could do so?

as for aguero, have you seen much of him? Do you think we need another short off striker?
I do rate him, technically he's very good. But I think we can do better especially for that sort of money.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should wait. Tevez will get plenty of goals if he stays fit. Campbell is looking promising. Ronaldo can play upfront, and Nani can deputise for him on the right. Plus Manucho will be around.

Quote:

Campbell would be our squad striker, along with Manucho. At least he wouldn't start sulking as soon as he realises he's on the bench.

I swear you were one who was beating the drum for him a few weeks ago

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:54 PM
dunk

Manucho will not get a Work Permit.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It's true, the bidding for Benzema, when they want to sell him, will start around £25 -35m, depending on the length of contract left at the time. The only way you would get him for that is if he insisted on signing for only 1 club, thereby tying Lyon's hands. That isn't going to happen.

Aguero cost Atleti £17m ish, which would make him £35m at double his price.

If you think that a club like Atletico would let a player go for only £4m-8m profit, especially one of the quality of Aguero, then you are very naive. It's one thing clearing £20-25m pure profit on a Torres, another entriely giving away an assest like Aguero for a measly £4-8m.
Lyon are a wealthy team, but they didnt want to sell Essien or Diarra either.

YOU said Athletico would want 1 1/2 the price they paid for Arguero, so dont start lecturing me on economics.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Manucho will not get a Work Permit.
You work for the Home Office do you?

Anderson had 1 cap when he signed.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:58 PM
dunk

Quote:
Lyon are a wealthy team, but they didnt want to sell Essien or Diarra either.

YOU said Athletico would want 1 1/2 the price they paid for Arguero, so dont start lecturing me on economics.
Yes, but the players wanted to go. Benzema does not, and definitely not to United.

Apologies, I meant double. It's difficult disguising that you are typing on a forum in the middle of an open plan office you know. I was right though, wasn't I?

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:59 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I do rate him, technically he's very good. But I think we can do better especially for that sort of money.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should wait. Tevez will get plenty of goals if he stays fit. Campbell is looking promising. Ronaldo can play upfront, and Nani can deputise for him on the right. Plus Manucho will be around.

Campbell would be our squad striker, along with Manucho. At least he wouldn't start sulking as soon as he realises he's on the bench.

I swear you were one who was beating the drum for him a few weeks ago

I want Campbell to do well, just realistically he's gonna take time. the Black Eusebio may well be in greece, leabving us once again light on strikers, particularly given Ronnie's situation. He may be gone and will be out for the first coupla months.

we definitely need a striker this summer, a quality proven one who can play up front and allow Rooney and Tevez to drop off him. From what I've seen, Berbatov amongst others fits this bill and adding him to our squad will improve it. I can't see any negatives in this.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:59 PM
keano's love

Quote:

1 played for brazil having already played in europe and shining against arsenal.

other hasn't even played 10games in europe ( both domestic or european competetions ). You don't have to be a genius to see why he won't get a work permit.

Unread 16-07-2008, 04:00 PM
dunk

Quote:

One was a 19 year old exceptional talent, the other is a 26 year old heap of shit.

One had already appeared in the CL on several occasions, the other couldn't get a regular game for Panathaniakos, his only European Club.

No, I don't work for the home office, I can take an educated guess though.

Celio Silva was a Brazilian International you know...
Closed Thread