United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 11-09-2019, 10:57 AM
My Name is Heath

Default Dead people on social media

What's the score there?

I got a jolly reminder this morning to wish Mr X all the best for his 7 years at an oil company.

Shame 6 of those have been based IN HELL

(actually he was a decent guy. His ex wife is shacked up with a Mexican now ffs).

Anyway, I have a couple of these. Are linkedin etc. not obliged to make sure their users are alive?

Can next of kin not go there and deactivate??

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Bunker Buster

Only have experience of Facebook.....

You can apply to have the account 'in memory of'

That way the pictures and memories still appear in your feed.

I like it, but it's soul crushing sometimes

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:03 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Only have experience of Facebook.....

You can apply to have the account 'in memory of'

That way the pictures and memories still appear in your feed.

I like it, but it's soul crushing sometimes
Yeah - I knwe a lad shot in the head on a Libyan beach.

Every year I get a reminder and a 'well done for x years' and it's painful.

I'm leaving all my passwords in my will for sure.

Might even leave some puns for a My Name is Heathlette to slip in for years to come

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:03 AM
NedKelly

A school friend of mine passed away in her sleep after a night out in her mid-20s (not drug related, she had an undiagnosed heart condition). My memory is a bit hazy here as this was a few years ago now but it took the family several months and a lot of stress to finally get Facebook to allow them to take over/deactivate the page. I don't know if that's changed, but I imagine some people would like to keep certain pages active as "shrines" to their loved one, and others just plain can't face deactivating it.

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:13 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
guaranteed this will be contested.

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

I got a jolly reminder this morning to wish Mr X all the best for his 7 years at an oil company.

Rip mr x. Never missed a shift

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:18 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
guaranteed this will be contested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex View Post

Rip mr x. Never missed a shift

mutual friends

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:23 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Yeah - I knwe a lad shot in the head on a Libyan beach.

Every year I get a reminder and a 'well done for x years' and it's painful.

Might even leave some puns for a My Name is Heathlette to slip in for years to come
Pretty sure that's been ruled as illegal (although maybe not in this country). Not leaving the passwords, but using them. You'e basically committing fraud by pretending to be someone else online. Apple got very touchy about because it meant you could leave someone access to your iTunes account (remember, you do not own online content, you own the right to use it and that right is non-transferable).

I think the Facebook thing is fairly new after several cases of family members trying to get access to accounts of the deceased.

Unread 11-09-2019, 11:43 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Pretty sure that's been ruled as illegal (although maybe not in this country). Not leaving the passwords, but using them. You'e basically committing fraud by pretending to be someone else online. Apple got very touchy about because it meant you could leave someone access to your iTunes account (remember, you do not own online content, you own the right to use it and that right is non-transferable).

I think the Facebook thing is fairly new after several cases of family members trying to get access to accounts of the deceased.
What a nightmare ffs.

If I'm in a plane hurtling to the ground I need to be updating a status instead of messaging loved ones.

Armchair - if ever I'm in the news can you delete all my posts?

I don't want the Mail to say 'My Name is Heath, who liked fat birds, was involved in an altercation with a badger and sadly...' etc. etc.

Unread 11-09-2019, 12:00 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
What a nightmare ffs.

If I'm in a plane hurtling to the ground I need to be updating a status instead of messaging loved ones.

Armchair - if ever I'm in the news can you delete all my posts?

I don't want the Mail to say 'My Name is Heath, who liked fat birds, was involved in an altercation with a badger and sadly...' etc. etc.
That is an excellent idea. Not armchair deleting your posts specifically, but the idea that social media platforms should have a mechanism for you to leave a statement of your intent should you die. Make it a mandatory part of the signup process.