Unread 16-11-2022, 12:09 PM
dunk

Vieri

Unread 16-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Vieri
He was a lad wasn't he, the Aussie accent threw me a bit.

Romario was also hilarious, the arrogance is off the charts

Unread 16-11-2022, 01:00 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
He was a lad wasn't he, the Aussie accent threw me a bit.

Romario was also hilarious, the arrogance is off the charts
3 non-United players I absolutely loved. Ronaldo and Vieri were ruined by injuries and were both still incredible.

Can't even imagine the goldfish bowl Ronaldo lived in, it was just insane. Can you imagine someone hobbling through crowds of journalists on crutches the day after doing their knee now?

Very good.

Was hardly his ‘life’ though was it? It was 4 years admittedly a shot-ton in those 4 years, but I reckon there’s a million stories to tell about the lad.

Unread 16-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Baron

Yeah I think I would have preferred a 3 parter in the style of The Last Dance that had his early years up to the Barca season, then the injuries / Inter / World Cup and lastly his move to Madrid & the end of his time. It just sort of glosses over a lot before the whole World Cup story without pulling you into his life.

A bit like the last Maradona doc about his Napoli time - some great footage, but just not the detail or care taken to absorb what it actually meant in the grand scheme of things to football globally.

Ronaldo changed football, over the course of the last 100 years or so you can only say that about a handful of players & his story is compelling enough to spend a bit more time telling it.

Unread 16-11-2022, 01:33 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Yeah I think I would have preferred a 3 parter in the style of The Last Dance that had his early years up to the Barca season, then the injuries / Inter / World Cup and lastly his move to Madrid & the end of his time. It just sort of glosses over a lot before the whole World Cup story without pulling you into his life.

A bit like the last Maradona doc about his Napoli time - some great footage, but just not the detail or care taken to absorb what it actually meant in the grand scheme of things to football globally.

Ronaldo changed football, over the course of the last 100 years or so you can only say that about a handful of players & his story is compelling enough to spend a bit more time telling it.
Football documentaries never go outside of the talking head format. Shame really.

Unread 16-11-2022, 01:37 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Football documentaries never go outside of the talking head format. Shame really.
I suspect they didn't have the same level of footage that existed in American sports

Unread 16-11-2022, 02:47 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
I suspect they didn't have the same level of footage that existed in American sports
Plus American sports are just somehow more 'mythic'. A combination of sports culture and an obsession with stats. You have documentaries on high school sports that feel more heroic than a film about the greatest footballer ever (Maradona btw)

Unread 16-11-2022, 04:30 PM
tatty

At his peak I’d have fat Ron over Messi and TCR.

And probably Maradona.

Unread 16-11-2022, 05:30 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
At his peak I’d have fat Ron over Messi and TCR.

And probably Maradona.
This. Would’ve been even better without being. Cursed with injuries

Maradonna’s performance level wouldn’t have peaked where it did without steroid use

Best would’ve been even better without his alcohol problem

Unread 16-11-2022, 09:19 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
This. Would’ve been even better without being. Cursed with injuries

Maradonna’s performance level wouldn’t have peaked where it did without steroid use

Best would’ve been even better without his alcohol problem

Unread 16-11-2022, 09:57 PM
suedeshoes

Saw both Ronaldo's live and the Brazilian was a much better footballer than the Portuguese one.

Unread 16-11-2022, 10:10 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
You really think the fat little #@&%! did those lung bursting runs without “help”?

Not a chance.

Coke snorting, slimy cheating £#%&!er. (Him, not you I presume)

Unread 16-11-2022, 10:20 PM
andyroo

Coke snorting, of which Diego was rather fond, famously doesn't help sporting performance much. Quite the opposite.

Of course he did get into the rocket fuel late on, but only in a desperate attempt to overcome the ravages of time, injuries, weight issues and a monster coke habit.

Unread 17-11-2022, 02:09 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
You really think the fat little #@&%! did those lung bursting runs without “help”?

Not a chance.

Coke snorting, slimy cheating £#%&!er. (Him, not you I presume)
he did it despite the drugs

imagine how good he would have peak Napoli been without the coke

Unread 17-11-2022, 10:05 AM
Coracao

Quote:

He was a great player, but how did he change football ? He played his position very well. But probably less popular players have changed football more in terms of how it is played within the last 25 years. See players like Dani Alves for full back, or Totti playing the false 9 in Spaletti's Roma side. Or all the inverted wingers who started scoring shitloads of goals, of whom Robben immediately springs to mind

Ronaldo was excellent, best player I've maybe seen live with Zidane. But he was the top dog of many excellent players of his position at the time. He wasn't doing anything Pele wasn't doing in the 50s and 60s really.

Unread 17-11-2022, 05:49 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He was a great player, but how did he change football ? He played his position very well. But probably less popular players have changed football more in terms of how it is played within the last 25 years. See players like Dani Alves for full back, or Totti playing the false 9 in Spaletti's Roma side. Or all the inverted wingers who started scoring shitloads of goals, of whom Robben immediately springs to mind

Ronaldo was excellent, best player I've maybe seen live with Zidane. But he was the top dog of many excellent players of his position at the time. He wasn't doing anything Pele wasn't doing in the 50s and 60s really.
transs?

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
transs?
Fair comment.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:48 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92tobury
i've had a pint with george.

And zidane was the best i've seen live, having seen both ronaldos. Only keano and robbo could get near to running a match like zizou.
zidane in that first half at old trafford 1999 semi with one leg was the best 45 mins ive seen .. Ronaldos hatrick was unbelivable and a pleasure to see live
Closed Thread