United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:10 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Default Michael Owen

Anybody else think since the wolfsburg game he's struggled for any form?

Played 18 times for us this season and scored 4 goals, he's had plenty of chances on the pitch but really not firing at all.

The honeymoon period is over, yes he scored that goal vs City but other than that he's not impressed at all, and as a backup striker he's a major worry for us because imo he's simply not good enough.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:22 AM
denis lawless

im not happy with the 18 games stat....

if you come on for the last 10 minutes, it can hardly be the same as a "game"

Forlan was slaughtered on the same basis

unfair in IMHO

not that im in the business of defending a midget scouser

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:28 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
im not happy with the 18 games stat....

if you come on for the last 10 minutes, it can hardly be the same as a "game"

Forlan was slaughtered on the same basis

unfair in IMHO

not that im in the business of defending a midget scouser
18 games, 11 of which have been as sub's, not sure how long he's been on the pitch this year but you can't say he hasn't had chances because he's had plenty and not done the buisness.

Your right regarding others players, problem is Owen is not a good footballer, rather predictable and defenders know what he's generally going to do. Last night he literally did not touch the ball or get involved in our play for 75% of the time he was on.

As i've said, it's a £#%&!ing good job he scored against City because that goal bought him time but so far he's proven to be what many thought he would be...a disaster

carlosartorial

Worrying thing about Owen is that he still manages to get in the right positions, he just can't finish for shit anymore.

The amount of 1 on 1s he's missed is pretty incredible for a 'natural goalscorer'. I'm still hoping he'll come good but it's like the Shevchenko thing, he looks totally burned out.

ScholesScoresGoals2

If he hadn't scored that goal against city he'd be getting destroyed by now.

He just doesn't look fit and doesn't look like getting fit to me.
I've never been a big michael owen fan, always thought he was all about pace, no great tecnique or build up play. No he has no pace he is extremely average

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:35 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
As i've said, it's a £#%&!ing good job he scored against City because that goal bought him time but so far he's proven to be what many thought he would be...a disaster
disaster might be a bit harsh...but certainly disappointing.

cost us nowt, and hes an "option" from the bench.....but he doesnt excite when you see him coming off the bench and by default, he doesnt scare defenders either

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:38 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
disaster might be a bit harsh...but certainly disappointing.

cost us nowt, and hes an "option" from the bench.....but he doesnt excite when you see him coming off the bench and by default, he doesnt scare defenders either
I'd rather one of the young lads was a permanent bench warmer and getting the experience. Owen has no spark at all.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Chorlton74

Owen looks like he is ready for the knackers yard. 10 years ago his goalscoring ability was never in doubt, but now, he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

his career was finished the minute he signed for the barcodes.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:42 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
I'd rather one of the young lads was a permanent bench warmer and getting the experience. Owen has no spark at all.
Kiko last night impressed me, generally wanted to take responsability up front and looked good.

Owen for me offers nothing, thought he was really poor Saturday aswell and looked tired after 70minutes, simply not good enough for us. As a 4th choice striker maybe, but when things are not going our way the thought of him being our backup is concering.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:43 AM
marlo

fergie has pulled another one out the hat.

liam miller and now michael owen!

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:44 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
Owen looks like he is ready for the knackers yard. 10 years ago his goalscoring ability was never in doubt, but now, he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

his career was finished the minute he signed for the barcodes.

love that phrase

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:45 AM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
I'd rather one of the young lads was a permanent bench warmer and getting the experience.
Four goals in the time Owen's had is ok-ish but you can't help but think Welbeck would probably have got the same total in that time too, as well as good experience.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:45 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

Stop being a #@&%! victor, it was a gamble and as much as I don't like owen or his style of play I thought it was a gamble worth taking.
Owen hasn't looked good at all for me so far but I am not writing him off completely just yet......he's got 3 more games

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:46 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:

Miller actually showed promise at Celtic and was a young lad, so that signing never once concerned me.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:46 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Four goals in the time Owen's had is ok-ish but you can't help but think Welbeck would probably have got the same total in that time too, as well as good experience.
Thats my point, the city goal has literally saved him from any shit from the fans and tbf to owen I think he is the only striker at the club that could have scored that goal the way he did. But as I said I'd rather see macheda or wellbeck push on now and get some games

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Quote:

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Sloane

for me that goal against city was worth the transfer fee alone

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Thats my point, the city goal has literally saved him from any shit from the fans and tbf to owen I think he is the only striker at the club that could have scored that goal the way he did. But as I said I'd rather see macheda or wellbeck push on now and get some games
even them 2 are hardly setting the world on fire with the chances they have had.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:50 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
even them 2 are hardly setting the world on fire with the chances they have had.
They've had nothing like the time owen has, i really want to see macheda push on, good finisher, great feet and wants to work hard for the team.

Unread 26-11-2009, 09:51 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
4 Goals but alot of missed chances, Saturday, B'Ham, Blackburn all had great chances. He's getting in the positions but not scoring.

Kiko would of got more, not only does he get in the positions but he drops deep, out wide and brings other players into the game, he gets stuck in and deserves a chance.
Closed Thread