United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Really? I thought pretty much every one of the £#%&!ers said Spain would win it.

How many "real crackers" has there been? Ghana v Uruguay was interesting as was Brazil v Holland. But the quality of football has been poor and 90% of the games have been so forgettable that I couldn't tell you most of the scorelines if I tried.

You know a tournament is pretty shit when Germany are the most exciting team ffs.

Hopefully it'll be a Holland v Germany final as they hate each other. Might be a few red cards and a bit of controversy.
yes really, only one of the pundit's top 4 has made it to the semis

there's been loads of good games from what i've seen, which is probably about half of them

for instance, slovenia v the usa was superb. slavakia v italy was as well. the opening game was a good watch. argentina were superb in three or four of the games i saw them, as have been germany - the england germany game is one of the games of the tournament. brazil v holland was fine. nth korea put on a good show against brazil, sth korea were good, especially against greece. japan were brilliant in one game i saw them. portugal's rout of nth korea was a top watch, as was brazil's dismantling of ivory coast. the daytime quarters were a decent watch etc etc

Unread 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I just think this year has been lacking excitement & lacking great goals.
All the 'star turns' have failed to turn up, most games have flattered to deceive.

1990 had a great showing by England to keep the excitement up - that SF with Germany was a great game. Italy had a good young side that year + the star of the tournament in Schillaci.
Of course during Italia 90 I was at school & happy.
Only just hit home this. I never spent Italia 90 complaining about the noise and ball

Unread 06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Switching Off

Unread 06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
red in cumbria

I suppose that if Italia 1990 is the first WC you can remember, it will be remembered more fondly than by us oldies who had the 70s and 80s competitions to enviously feast our youthful eyes on

(there's also the England thing, of course - but seriously, we were shite in *most* of our games then, too )

But I will just say this - it was so bad that even the useless complacent clods at FIFA felt the need to bring in rule changes afterwards, to try and discourage ultra-negative and overtly cynical play. Of course, this included abolishing the backpass rule........

.........and it is of course a mere coincidence that a certain team won their last league title earlier that year

Unread 06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
MJ Ramone

Another positive from Italia 90 = Great theme Tune on the BBC

This years World Cup music has been rotten. It's supposed to be the World Cup ffs...it's supposed to stir the soul. Just because it was in Africa doesn't mean there shouldn't have been a 'hairs on the arms standing up' piece of Classical music used as the theme tune.

I've enjoyed watching Germany this year & that's about it.
Spain & Holland (for example) have far too many play-acting, cheating @#%&!s playing for them.
Argentina & Brazil flattered to deceive...England were a shambles...as were Italy & France.
It's been dire overall.

There hasn't been a goal, a game, a moment that will be remembered forever from this World Cup - although tbf, the most memorable thing from 2006 were the sendings off of Rooney & Zidane.

Maybe we've all just got to face the facts that the World Cup simply isn't what it used to be

Unread 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Maybe we've all just got to face the facts that the World Cup simply isn't what it used to be
That's just part of getting old, mate

And if we are talking BBC theme tunes - 1990 good, but 1982 better

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

This years World Cup music has been rotten. It's supposed to be the World Cup ffs...it's supposed to stir the soul. Just because it was in Africa doesn't mean there shouldn't have been a 'hairs on the arms standing up' piece of Classical music used as the theme tune.
Spain & Holland (for example) have far too many play-acting, cheating @#%&!s playing for them.
Argentina & Brazil flattered to deceive...England were a shambles...as were Italy & France.
It's been dire overall.

There hasn't been a goal, a game, a moment that will be remembered forever from this World Cup - although tbf, the most memorable thing from 2006 were the sendings off of Rooney & Zidane.

This world cup has been a £#%&!ing awful, patronising, 'lets ram african culture down everyone's throats' £#%&!ing blue peter, Politically correct exercise.

I don't remember the theme tune from germany 2006 being david hasselhoff or USA 94 being bon jovi or Bruce Springsteen.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
That's just part of getting old, mate

And if we are talking BBC theme tunes - 1990 good, but 1982 better
Can't remember the 82 Theme
The 82 World Cup is just about my earliest Football memory, I vividly remember watching England beat France...& I (like just about every £#%&!er else) fell in love with that Brazil side.

86 had 'Azteca Gold' (although I think that was ITV iirc)

The 98 BBC one was a great choice too. Very evocative Classical music. The way it should be.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
This world cup has been a £#%&!ing awful, patronising, 'lets ram african culture down everyone's throats' £#%&!ing blue peter, Politically correct exercise.

I don't remember the theme tune from germany 2006 being david hasselhoff or USA 94 being bon jovi or Bruce Springsteen.
A little bit of this.

The football has been clearly shit. The actual football. And Fifa are a joke for letting these things happen.

I blame Fifa and Maradona for £#%&!ing up what could have been a great team and Brazil as a nation for not producing really great attacking players.

But all in all is it any worse than 2002? No chance.

Better than 2006? No but the final could be 10x better.

1998? Meh. Apart from France and Ronaldo wasn't that great.

1990 wasn't that great either.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
and Brazil as a nation for not producing really great attacking players
Agreed.

Kaka, Robinho, Fabiano etc wouldn't get in the 1982 third team.

There's been a complete lack of flair all over this World Cup imo, but it's all the more disappointing to see Brazil being so pedestrian.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Agreed.

Kaka, Robinho, Fabiano etc wouldn't get in the 1982 third team.

There's been a complete lack of flair all over this World Cup imo, but it's all the more disappointing to see Brazil being so pedestrian.
Blame dunga for that.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Blame dunga for that.
Why who did he leave out that was better than what they had?

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Lok

Quote:
Some would argue Pato & Ronaldinho.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Lucas.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Would they yeah? Some sounds like a sanctamonious #@&%! imo.

He has a point though with Pato.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:

It's been dire overall.

Maybe it's just the fact that we see all the players al of the time now with Spanish league and CL. In old World Cups 82 etc it was great seeing Zico, Socrates etc as you never saw them apart from at World Cup. The only p;ayers we don't know now are a few Africans and most of the far East teams.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
No, really really not.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldosgoodallthetime
Maybe it's just the fact that we see all the players al of the time now with Spanish league and CL. In old World Cups 82 etc it was great seeing Zico, Socrates etc as you never saw them apart from at World Cup. The only p;ayers we don't know now are a few Africans and most of the far East teams.
Agreed.

And whoever said it was a PC exercise to have a theme tune to match the country...I hope you were being ironic. Or that you haven't watched aworld cup before 1998 (more likely).

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Agreed.

And whoever said it was a PC exercise to have a theme tune to match the country...I hope you were being ironic. Or that you haven't watched aworld cup before 1998 (more likely).
Some of us can remember the 1978 theme (pretty good, actually)

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
signed dc

Quote:
But all in all is it any worse than 2002? No chance.

Better than 2006? No but the final could be 10x better.

1998? Meh. Apart from France and Ronaldo wasn't that great.

1990 wasn't that great either.
2002 is the worst world cup I can remember.

The last really good one was 1994. France in 98 were pretty dull, (they were great in Euro 2000) but they ground their way to the final in 98, then got lucky with Brazil/Ronaldo not showing up for the final.

I've quite enjoyed this tournament but the standard hasn't been great. A lot of the magic has gone over the last 10-15 years. There's not the same mystery or exotic-ness about a lot of players or the teams due to The Champions League, the amount of overseas players playing over here, and the fact that you can see Spanish & Italian league football on TV most weekends.

oh, I like the BBC's theme tune though. ITV's is typically terrible.
Closed Thread