United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Default Are we stuck in the past with our national side?

Or is it good that we stick to our roots?

I only ask because i notice that for Germany, Ozil is Turkish, Podolski is Polish and Cracau(sp) is Brazilian. France have a history of taking African players into their national sides, and Portugal have the likes of Deco, who is Brazilian.

Yet when anyone mentions the likes of Arteta playing for us, the country rejects it instantly.

This thread will most likely get ruined, but i just wondered what peoples thoughts were on it.

Would you be happy with an England side featuring Arteta in the middle? The other countries don't seem to care.

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:23 PM
MUFC One Love

Default Re: Are we stuck in the past with our national side?

Are we stuck in last week still talking about the £#%&!ing england team ffs?

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love

Oh come on mate, if you don't want to talk about it, can't you just ignore the thread? I'm just having an international football discussion whilst the world cup is on. Not that big of a deal surely?

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
Oh come on mate, if you don't want to talk about it, can't you just ignore the thread? I'm just having an international football discussion whilst the world cup is on. Not that big of a deal surely?
sorry mate i was a bit harsh, just sick of hearing about england tbh.

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:29 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
sorry mate i was a bit harsh, just sick of hearing about england tbh.
England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:31 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England England

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
denis lawless

Quote:

I only ask because i notice that for Germany, Ozil is Turkish, Podolski is Polish and Cracau(sp) is Brazilian. France have a history of taking African players into their national sides, and Portugal have the likes of Deco, who is Brazilian.

Yet when anyone mentions the likes of Arteta playing for us, the country rejects it instantly.

This thread will most likely get ruined, but i just wondered what peoples thoughts were on it.

Would you be happy with an England side featuring Arteta in the middle? The other countries don't seem to care.
No......rules should be tightened up, not relaxed.....all this cross selection is a farce.

country of birth, country of parents birth...and thats it...including coaching staff, otherwise its just nothing different from club football where you source players from wherever you like.

if you were born in a shit country...tough !

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless

country of birth, country of parents birth...and thats it...including coaching staff, otherwise its just nothing different from club football where you source players from wherever you like.
Boateng brothers comply to that though!

Then we have the farce of them playing against each other in the same world cup game!

I may be wrong but I'm sure it was said last night that Kevin Prince only made his debut for Ghana in May!

Its a joke, it should be country of birth only!

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Do you think that's the reason France are now struggling? More players are picking their original countries (Senegal, ivory coast) instead of the choice of France? Or is that just %@#$&!s? They don't seem to be producing anything decent, can't say i'm really impressed with any of their youngsters coming through, other than Benzema who wasn't even picked.

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Do you think that's the reason France are now struggling? More players are picking their original countries (Senegal, ivory coast) instead of the choice of France? Or is that just %@#$&!s? They don't seem to be producing anything decent, can't say i'm really impressed with any of their youngsters coming through, other than Benzema who wasn't even picked.
No, I think it is solely down to Domenech and his ego tbh, plenty of very good young french talent out there!

Unread 03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up Re: Are we stuck in the past with our national side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Boateng brothers comply to that though!

Then we have the farce of them playing against each other in the same world cup game!

I may be wrong but I'm sure it was said last night that Kevin Prince only made his debut for Ghana in May!

Its a joke, it should be country of birth only!
even better

Unread 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
wonky no

owen is welsh and we've had a few jocks in the past.

Unread 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
owen is welsh and we've had a few jocks in the past.

Born in Chester weren't he?

Not saying we aint done it, but it shouldn't be done!

Unread 03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Born in Chester weren't he?

Not saying we aint done it, but it shouldn't be done!
my mistake, i've always thought he was welsh

Unread 03-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Zorg

Quote:
It's often said about France, but in their 1998 world cup squad only 3 of 23 were born outside France - Desailly, Vieira, and Karembeu. Thuram was born in Guadeloupe but that's part of French territory.

It was really multi-ethnic though, with players of Algerian, African, Portuguese, Indian, Breton, Basque and Carribean roots.

In 2010 there were only two - Evra (Senegal) and Mandanda (Congo). Malouda was born in French Guiana but like Guadeloupe that is part of France.

Unread 03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
my mistake, i've always thought he was welsh
Of course, some suburbs of Chester *are* just over the border. MJO is from one of these, IIRC (but, perhaps, I don't)

Unread 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Grimson

Quote:

I only ask because i notice that for Germany, Ozil is Turkish, Podolski is Polish and Cracau(sp) is Brazilian.
Ozil was born in Germany. Podolski moved there when he was 2.

Unread 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
exactly.

silly thread

Unread 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
so he isnt german then

oh...and Klose was born in £#%&!ing Poland as well

pair of @#%&!z !!!

Unread 03-07-2010, 04:54 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:

Closed Thread