United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM
red in cumbria

Hopefully once we have passed next Sunday - and I admit the 100th anniversary of WW1's end is a significant one - this quasi-fascistic "heroes" mania will die down a bit.

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:15 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Was delighted to see today that Stagecoach buses have not Forgotten. Every bus ‘wearing’ the poppy.

Moaning about mental students snowflakes taking over the world? This bollocks becoming de rigueur is a thousand times worse than clapping bans.

Watched Strictly last night. Every fucker had a pin badge on, a week and bit before Remembrance Sunday. God forbid a second might go by without a salsa jive being danced on British tv by a Hungarian fruit poppy-less.
I spotted that and cringed.

When I was a kid - 35 years after the end of war - I’m sure it was only worn the week of the 11th and it certainly wasn’t a huge drama.

For me it was a respectful nod to the sacrifices made in WW1 and to a lesser degree WW2.

Now? It’s a big deal going straight from Halloween to this.

Next year I might wear a red pumpkin with Hitler’s face cut into it.

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Hopefully once we have passed next Sunday - and I admit the 100th anniversary of WW1's end is a significant one - this quasi-fascistic "heroes" mania will die down a bit.
You want to see the NFL's month long 'Salute to Service'.

But then, the Yanks lap that shit up.

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Zorg

Point of order, there wasn’t a clapping ban. There were encouraging the inclusion of sign language clapping. May also be considered ott but at no time did they ‘ban’ anyone from clapping.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/un...-clapping-ban/

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:31 PM
jaffo

Unlikely anyone will be clapping Matic any time soon

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:34 PM
silv

100th centenary of the First World War.

Deserves an extra week of poppy imo

Unread 04-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath

Next year I might wear a red pumpkin with Hitler’s face cut into it.

Unread 04-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Poop

But as a result, Matic received a wave of criticism on social media — with some even suggesting he be permanently dropped from Jose Mourinho’s side.

One fan wrote: “I would drop him and he would never play for United again #nosurrender #lestwe forget #wewillremember them”.

Another wrote: “No excuse for Matic not wearing a poppy. British involvement in Kosovo has nothing to do with remembering those who gave their lives in two World Wars #DISGRACE.”

One said: “Fuck Matic off, no poppy.”

While one added: “Matic isn’t wearing a poppy, snap the cunt’s leg.”

Another raged: “Matic not wearing a poppy? He needs to fuck off back to London.”

Unread 04-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Sapien

God I hate the internet. At least before it existed we were mostly in blissful ignorance about what appalling dickheads most people are.

Unread 04-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Fat Al

And yet .....