United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I don't think Mourinho is anywhere near as insufferable as Wenger to be honest. Yes most top managers are stubborn but Wenger takes it to another level. And he has tantrums, public tantrums. Great coach, good eye for young players but he's a dry shite.
exactly. Fuzzy on the ball yet again.

Unread 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Perfect description of henry too, the @#%&!. Pissed myself laughing as he announced to the world that he "wasn't a women" after loosing the European Cup in 2006
That was funny. What a #@&%!.

It's a typically French trait, I'm afraid - when the going get tough, blame everyone else and start crying.

Unread 07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
For me, it's more the responsibility of the people, especially in the media, that make him out be some kind of complete footballing purist.

He is much more committed to a positive approach to the game than the vast majority of managers, and his teams do generally play very good football, but he's certainly not immune to making compromises when he thinks it's prudent to do so.

A lot of people seem to be in denial about this. Very £#%&!ing annoying.
Exactly spot on.

For me it's another example of the lazy cliche-seeking that pundits in this country rely on. Because Wenger is French and wears glasses, they insist that he must be a 'purist', when as you say, he's not afraid of using defensive football if required. I can't remember ever being angrier than after the 2005 Cup Final, as not one person on TV would admit the truth, which was that Arsenal came to defend. It didn't fit with their fantasy-land bullshit where Arsenal are simply unable to play ugly.

Unread 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
if we look at the ferguson era at united, wenger is still the only true hate fugure and the only manager not to have a bottle of red with SAF post game.
Actually there was one, but it's another reason why we can admire his teams' football and destest him (and his team's) childless, graceless whinging when things don't go their way.

It was 2002 when they won the league at our place. Wenger had always rejected the offer of a drink but wanted one with Fergie that night. That's the measure of the man. Fergie blew his top. Quite right too.

Unread 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM
The Return of JC

I respect him.

I never said I like him

I remember when we won the title in '03. He said something along the lines of:

'We are disappointed but you have to congratulate the champions so we do that.'

It's quite a shady way of congratulating us without actually doing so. Saying that you have to, so here we are.

Mourinho did much the same last year. There's a difference between saying you have to and then actually saying it.

People do that. They say they owe an apology and then don't actually apologise.

Unread 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I respect him.

I never said I like him

It's quite a shady way of congratulating us without actually doing so. Saying that you have to, so here we are.

Mourinho did much the same last year. There's a difference between saying you have to and then actually saying it.

That's not what I remember at all. What I remember is him saying 'the best team didn't win the league' and refusing to offer congratulations.

I stand ready to be corrected if you can find out though.

Unread 07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I respect him.

I never said I like him

Why don't you just go and support Arsenal?

Unread 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default Arsenal's 68 Red Cards Under Arsene Wenger

Sep 28: Arsene Wenger takes over at Highbury
Nov 26: Steve Bould v Liverpool
Nov 30: Tony Adams v Newcastle
Dec 21: Ian Wright v Nottm Forest

Jan 1: John Hartson v Middlesbrough
Jan 11: Dennis Bergkamp v Sunderland
May 11: Tony Adams v Derby
Oct 14: Jason Crowe v Birmingham
Oct 26: Emmanuel Petit v Aston Villa

Jan 17: Patrick Vieira v Coventry
Feb 18: Patrick Vieira v Chelsea
Mar 17: Dennis Bergkamp v West Ham
Mar 31: Martin Keown v Bolton
Aug 29: Emmanuel Petit v Charlton
Sep 9: Lee Dixon v Chelsea
Sep 26: Martin Keown v Sheff Wed
Nov 25: Ray Parlour v Lens
Dec 20: Gilles Grimandi v Leeds
Dec 28: Patrick Vieira v Charlton

Jan 24: Emmanuel Petit v Wolves
Mar 13: Emmanuel Petit v Everton
Apr 6: Martin Keown v Blackburn
Apr 11: Nelson Vivas v Man Utd
Sep 29: Gilles Grimandi v Barcelona
Oct 2: Patrick Vieira v West Ham
Nov 7: Fredrik Ljungberg and Martin Keown v Tottenham

Mar 19: Gilles Grimandi v Tottenham
Mar 23: Thierry Henry v Werder Bremen
Apr 1: Oleg Luzhny v Wimbledon
Aug 19: Patrick Vieira v Sunderland
Aug 21: Patrick Vieira v Liverpool

Apr 18: Gilles Grimandi v Aston Villa
Aug 18: Ray Parlour v Middlesbrough
Aug 25: Patrick Vieira v Leicester
Sep 11: Ashley Cole v Real Mallorca
Sep 29: Martin Keown v Derby
Oct 30: Oleg Luzhny v Schalke
Nov 5: John Halls v Man Utd
Dec 18: Ray Parlour v Newcastle
Dec 23: Giovanni van Bronckhorst v Liverpool

Jan 27: Dennis Bergkamp and Martin Keown v Liverpool
Jan 30: Oleg Luzhny v Blackburn
Feb 19: Ray Parlour v Bayer Leverkusen
Sep 1: Patrick Vieira v Chelsea
Nov 23: Sol Campbell v Southampton
Dec 12: Kolo Toure v PSV Eindhoven

Mar 25: Pascal Cygan v Chelsea
Apr 16: Sol Campbell v Man Utd
Aug 10: Francis Jeffers v Man Utd
Aug 16: Sol Campbell v Everton
Sept 21: Patrick Vieira v Man Utd
Dec 6: Ashley Cole v Leicester

Feb 4: Martin Keown v Middlesbrough
Nov 24: Lauren and Patrick Vieira v PSV Eindhoven

Feb 19: Dennis Bergkamp v Sheff Utd
Feb 26: Robin van Persie v Southampton
May 21: Jose Antonio Reyes v Man Utd
Sep 14: Robin van Persie v FC Thun
Dec 10: Gilberto v Newcastle

Jan 21: Cesc Fabregas v Everton
May 18: Jens Lehmann v Barcelona
Nov 29: Philippe Senderos v Fulham

Jan 13: Gilberto Silva v Blackburn
Feb 3: Philippe Senderos v Middlesbrough
Feb 25: Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor v Chelsea

Horrible, cynical little man with a lot to prove. His team have often been the most spiteful, cynical bunch of @#%&!s since Dirty Leeds. Will never forget seeing Dixon hit the floor at wembley to get some lens player sent off. Or Winterburn running 60yds to gob at Di Canio in the ref incident and not even get yellowed - no mention in the media either even though the gob can be seen clearly on the tv pictures.

Yes they have played some good football, some very good football. But they have also played plenty of incredibly average football, and even the unbeaten team were often dross to watch scratching out draws as the obsession with not losing grew - they had more draws than any title-winners ever [SIZE="1"]possibly.

Incidentally, that list is out of date as the red cards continue to mount. And for every debateable one there've probably been at least two that they got away with - apart from the two I already mentioned, there were at least two in just that one incident with RvN for a £#%&!ing start off

Unread 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
kinky afro

Respect wenger for the way he coaches his teams to play expansive and entertaining football, and seems to get the best from up and coming youth. But, his constant whining and war of words with Fergie did it for me. Never does he seem happy. Nob

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
tatty

His teams play decent football and he makes good use of the money he spends.

Set aside the history between the clubs and I don't see how you could argue that he isn't the 2nd best manager to have operated in the PL.

Unread 08-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Apr 11: Nelson Vivas v Man Utd
wtf game was that??

The 1-1 in 98-99 was in winter around Feb wasnt it and im ure only Keano went off in the FA Cup semi...

Unread 08-09-2007, 01:26 AM
TreeFiddy

Arsene Wenger is an absolute £#%&!ing @#%&!. I hate him. Absolutely hate him. His whinging, moaning, arrogance and bitterness is insufferable. His Arsenal sides of the last 10 years have made me angry to the point of punching walls and wishing them all death. Never have I seen such a team of utter @#%&!s, oozing with cheating, snidey bastards and an arrogance that surpasses the meaning of the word. Just look at their reaction to RVN missing that penalty at OT in the last minute. Absolutely sickening and disgraceful and I haven't even mentioned their antics in the tunnel after the game. Vile @#%&!s.

All that said and taking into account he's possibly the biggest @#%&! in football alongside Henry, I think Wenger is a great manager.
Closed Thread