United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
El Calafate

Default Beckenbauer: Ballack should of joined Utd

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...&TEAMHD=soccer

Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer has criticised Michael Ballack's decision to join Chelsea, insisting the player would have been better off joining Manchester United instead.

The Germany international joined the London club from Bayern last summer but has had an unsettled start to his Premier League career, making just 26 league appearances as Chelsea surrendered the title to United last term.

And this week the 30-year-old midfielder was not included in Chelsea's squad for the Champions League group stage due to fitness issues, prompting Beckenbauer to question the wisdom of his move.

"I think it was a mistake to move to that club (Chelsea)," he told German newspaper Bild.

"There was a space available for his position with Manchester United and he would have fitted into their system perfectly. The same with Real Madrid. But at Chelsea his role was already filled by Frank Lampard."

Speculation over Ballack's future has been further intensified this week by Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster, who claimed it was only the matter of an agent's fee that stopped the midfielder going to Spain this summer.

Both Real and Manchester United were touted as possible destinations for Ballack before he moved to Chelsea, but Beckenbauer thinks the player is now running out of options.

"Where can he move to now?" he pondered.

"His first transfer opportunity is during the winter, and I hardly suppose Bernd Schuster's Madrid are interested after bringing in Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder."

And Beckenbauer was also quick to rule out a return to the Bundesliga leaders after the club shelled out almost £50million this summer on a squad revamp after missing out on the Champions League.

"No, that won't happen," he said.

"Firstly it isn't what he wants and in all honesty we can no longer afford to pay his wages."

Beckenbauer does however offer sympathy to Ballack, who is in danger of becoming embroiled in a club-versus-country row over his ankle problems.

"Looking from afar, you get the feeling that Ballack is caught in the middle of German doctors and English club doctors," he added.

"It would be regrettable if the player was made to suffer. I just hope he can get back as soon as possible."

nft.

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Smurf

Ballack/Robben, all money grubbing @#%&!s. If they wanted to play football they would have joined us.

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
koppas

He can £#%&! off.

Although to be fair to him, who is going to turn down £120,000 a week?

No one.

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
puressence

fantastic player

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
He can £#%&! off.

No one.
Rio?

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Whalefish

He never wanted to play in England. That's a fact.

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:48 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
Rio?
Wum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
He never wanted to play in England. That's a fact.
Is it?

Has he told you that?

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Whalefish

Nope. But it is.

Unread 06-09-2007, 11:55 AM
koppas

Quote:
Nope. But it is.
So why did he turn down Real Madrid?

Money.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
So why did he turn down Real Madrid?

Money.
Did he really say he snubbed Madrid? Link please.

He wanted to move to Spain and Barca was the club he wanted to move too.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM
koppas

Quote:
Did he really say he snubbed Madrid? Link please.

He wanted to move to Spain and Barca was the club he wanted to move too.
Did he really say yhat he wanted to join Barcelona. Link please.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM
dodger

Quote:
He can £#%&! off.

No one.
compared to what? £90,000 a week with us? What's the £#%&!ing difference?

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
compared to what? £90,000 a week with us? What's the £#%&!ing difference?
An extra £1.5m.

Over three years, thats £5.5m.

So, quite a big difference really.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:26 PM
puressence

Quote:
An extra £1.5m.

gtf carol vorderman

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:27 PM
The Return of JC

Wow!

That's amazing!

Franz said 'Should of' instead of 'Should have'.

Now, that's a wum.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
gtf carol vorderman
Well it is true.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:34 PM
dodger

Quote:
An extra £1.5m.

£1.5m x 3 = £5.5m? Hmmm

And his total earnnigs over three years at 90,000 a week would be over 14 million pounds. Are you seriously telling me teh extra 4.5 million, just on this contract mind, is going to make any difference to his lifestyle?
Really, it's bad enough when football is like this but when people in the street think these figures are realisitic then it's all over.
If you were talking about soembody earning £90 or £120 a week I could understand.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:38 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
£1.5m x 3 = £5.5m? Hmmm

And his total earnnigs over three years at 90,000 a week would be over 14 million pounds. Are you seriously telling me teh extra 4.5 million, just on this contract mind, is going to make any difference to his lifestyle?
Really, it's bad enough when football is like this but when people in the street think these figures are realisitic then it's all over.
If you were talking about soembody earning £90 or £120 a week I could understand.
That isn't the point.

Would you rather take £14m or £18.5m?

You say it doesn't make a difference (to you or me it wouldn't) but footballers are greedy and go where the money is.

FACT.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
dodger

Quote:
That isn't the point.

I'd take the £14m and the glory rather than £18.5m (revised amount) to be a square peg, and it was obvious he would be that.

Yes they are greedy but that doesn't make their choices the right ones.

Unread 06-09-2007, 12:46 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
That isn't the point.

You say it doesn't make a difference (to you or me it wouldn't) but footballers are greedy and go where the money is.

FACT.
We say that, but none of us has ever been anywhere near that financial position so we don't know how we'd react.

Footballers may be greedy, but they were footballers first. I suspect it comes with the environment you're engaged within and we'd be no different once we immersed ourselves in that world.

Wasn't Ballack from a really poor background too?

It's very easy to take the high road when you're the common working man.
Closed Thread