United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:06 AM
toseeunited

Thumbs up Smithy thanks United fans!

Quote:
"United fans were great to me all the time I was there. When you consider I came from Leeds, it was a big thing for them to accept me the way they did."

- Alan Smith
Former Reds striker Alan Smith has paid tribute to United fans for accepting him so readily, despite his deep affiliation with rivals Leeds United.

The England forward, who departed United for Newcastle this summer after three years at Old Trafford, revealed his disappointment at being unable to say farewell amid the swift nature of his move.

Smith told The Sun: “The only disappointment for me was that I didn’t have a chance to say goodbye to the United fans who were great to me all the time I was there.

“When you consider I came from Leeds and the clubs’ supporters are not exactly the best of friends, it was a big thing for them to accept me the way they did.

“They knew Leeds were the team I’d always supported but they never held it against me. I still have a lot of friends at Old Trafford and will be looking out for their results."

Smith also revealed that, since leaving United, he has received a letter from Sir Alex Ferguson thanking him for his contribution to the club.

"I must have done something right when I was there for the manager to take the time to send me a message like that," said Smith.

"I was really pleased to get the letter. He thanked me for my contribution to Manchester United and told me what a difficult decision it was to sell me.

“I understand that. There are no hard feelings. But I’ve been lucky to move from one big club to another and, hopefully, I can help bring some silverware to Newcastle after so many years without a trophy."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=468397

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
believe

legend. nft. (well not quite legend but its a shame, not many players like smith left in the game)

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
edwin

Any sensible supporter would judge a player by their efforts on the pitch, not by which team photos they had on a wall as a kid.
At the FA Cup debacle at Anfield, Smithy seemed to care far more than some of our "red to the core" players

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Bishovetz

Can't fault him for commitment, it's just a pity SAF played him out of position most of the time.

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Ashley's Grime

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
Former Reds striker Alan Smith has paid tribute to United fans for accepting him so readily, despite his deep affiliation with rivals Leeds United.

The England forward, who departed United for Newcastle this summer after three years at Old Trafford, revealed his disappointment at being unable to say farewell amid the swift nature of his move.

Smith told The Sun: “The only disappointment for me was that I didn’t have a chance to say goodbye to the United fans who were great to me all the time I was there.

“When you consider I came from Leeds and the clubs’ supporters are not exactly the best of friends, it was a big thing for them to accept me the way they did.

“They knew Leeds were the team I’d always supported but they never held it against me. I still have a lot of friends at Old Trafford and will be looking out for their results."

Smith also revealed that, since leaving United, he has received a letter from Sir Alex Ferguson thanking him for his contribution to the club.

"I must have done something right when I was there for the manager to take the time to send me a message like that," said Smith.

"I was really pleased to get the letter. He thanked me for my contribution to Manchester United and told me what a difficult decision it was to sell me.

“I understand that. There are no hard feelings. But I’ve been lucky to move from one big club to another and, hopefully, I can help bring some silverware to Newcastle after so many years without a trophy."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=468397

I think this really needs to be posted on a Leeds message board!

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Mr_Ed

You can't fault a bloke who gives his all for the shirts. I remember a thread on RI asking what would happen if he scored on his home debut (as there were lots of people who didn't want him there) and sure enough he banged one in against Norwich I think...

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
You can't fault a bloke who gives his all for the shirts. I remember a thread on RI asking what would happen if he scored on his home debut (as there were lots of people who didn't want him there) and sure enough he banged one in against Norwich I think...
and what happened?

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
and what happened?
The place went bonkers, crazy I tell you

Unread 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Bishovetz

Unread 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Tincanstretty

Quote:
and what happened?
lads sat near me stayed sat in their seats. Never celebrated a single goal of his. Infact if he would have scored the winner in a European Semi Final 2nd leg at OT to take us to the final, then I have no doubt they still wouldn't have celebrated it.

Fair £#%&!s, at least they stuck to their guns I suppose.

Unread 05-09-2007, 10:17 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincanstretty
lads sat near me stayed sat in their seats. Never celebrated a single goal of his. Infact if he would have scored the winner in a European Semi Final 2nd leg at OT to take us to the final, then I have no doubt they still wouldn't have celebrated it.

Fair £#%&!s, at least they stuck to their guns I suppose.
you mean he's a #@&%!?

Unread 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM
puressence

@#%&! ...........nft

Unread 05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
The Return of JC

I'm glad he's left on good terms. He always worked hard and this endeared him to us (to a point).

There's a nagging feeling that we never saw the best of him consistently because of injuries and being played out of position, but there were very few occasions where he looked good enough for us.

Good luck to the lad.

There's stacks of players with more than his talent, but none put in as much commitment as him. I never understand that.

Unread 05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Crumps

Wasn't keen on him when he signed but he gave 100% everytime he wore the shirt wherever he played unlike some so called "Legends". Would have liked to see him kept on as a squad player tbh but he was never going to make it as a regular first teamer at United when everyone is fit. I begrudge the lad nothing and wish him all the best.

Got a feeling he could do well against some of our rivals too this season.

Unread 05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Spiffy

You should all be ashamed, he hated us more than most other players yet when he signed you couldn't get enough of him because he tried hard. Well I'd try hard but I'm not good enough for United either, add to that I've never slated us and the fans on national TV and I must be a legend too. How many 'legends' are there? There seems to be an awful lot out there if Smith is one. He's a shit player who we should never have signed, simple as that.

Unread 05-09-2007, 11:01 AM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishovetz
[YOUTUBE]AGk0m0W6TQk[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Tincanstretty

Quote:
you mean he's a #@&%!?
Maybe, maybe not. I hated Smith at Leeds, but never with the same level of hatred as others around me. Took the rumours about him chanting 'that' song with a pinch of salt and basically just didn't hate him anywhere near as much as I've hated many others over the years. These lads despised him with a £#%&!ing venom though so part of me did and still does begrudginly think fair play as the attitude they had to him was true.

Unread 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
AjaxRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
You should all be ashamed, he hated us more than most other players yet when he signed you couldn't get enough of him because he tried hard. Well I'd try hard but I'm not good enough for United either, add to that I've never slated us and the fans on national TV and I must be a legend too. How many 'legends' are there? There seems to be an awful lot out there if Smith is one. He's a shit player who we should never have signed, simple as that.
I'm not that forgiving either.

Unread 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaxRed
I'm not that forgiving either.
What are you views on drug cheat/author Jaap Stam?

Unread 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
MUFC One Love

Alan Smith - Horrific leg break fighting for United at Anfield as we was getting out played by Liverpool and nobody else could arsed. Step forward Mr Ruud 'Legend' Van Nistlerooy.

Smith is alright by me. And if he wasn't played out of position and had such a bad injury he would still be here.
Closed Thread