United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
That's assuming he isn't sold before the season starts though
I doubt it. There's no chance of Fergie selling Heinze, Silvestre and Brown, in order to give their places in the squad to Evans and Pique. We need to cover ourselves for the possibility of one/both of these lads not being good enough. It could happen. We all thought David Jones had a chance; it turns out Fergie didn't even think enough of him to give him a single league appearance, despite our midfield options not being particularly strong at the time.

The level of competition these days is such that you are going to have to be very good to get the nod over experienced defenders like Brown and Silvestre in the United first-team. I think if Pique comes back, he'd get enough chances at right-back, off the bench and in the less important games to give a decent enough indication of where he's at. If we bring both back, my fear would be that we won't see enough of either.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think if Pique comes back, he'd get enough chances at right-back, off the bench and in the less important games to give a decent enough indication of where he's at.
Haven't been impressed with Pique at fullback. He's not mobile enough and he doesn't offer enough going forward.

The only place he looks really comfortable to me is centre back.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Haven't been impressed with Pique at fullback. He's not mobile enough and he doesn't offer enough going forward.

He was fantastic against WHU when he made his full premiership debut there last season, thats the only time hes played there for us.
Pique has a fantastic relationship with Sir Alex and hes capable of playing many roles for us.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:55 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

He's`had a full season in Spain since he last played fullback for United. Players develop, that's why he was loaned.

Unread 05-06-2007, 02:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

He was ripped apart at the Bernabeu when he played there earlier this season. Certainly not his long-term position, but I think it would just be about giving him a bit of playing time against lesser sides.

Unread 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
You've got to bite the bullet sometime. I'm sorry but I saw enough of Brown, Tweetie and Gabby last year to suggest we'd be no worse off giving Evans or Pique a chance.
Nail on head and hammered through the plank.

These are two of the best young defenders in world football.

Unread 05-06-2007, 02:02 PM
wee man

Pique has played a season at the top level in Spain so he should come back to a make or break season. Evans has played regularly at a lower level and some international stuff and so far answered all the questions. Another season for him at Sunderland at Premier level - similar to Ben Foster over the last 2 years - will do him no harm at all.

Unread 05-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
He was fantastic against WHU when he made his full premiership debut there last season, thats the only time hes played there for us.
You understand that he spent a season at Zaragoza, yes?
Closed Thread