United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-02-2017, 03:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Well we did just break the world transfer record for one, having the previous summer got the German captain.

At least we're having a go. £#%&!ing Elneny ffs.
Not sure either of them is a proper midfielder, as it were. Pogba might be one day and Schweinsteiger was, briefly, but nah.

Unread 17-02-2017, 04:04 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not sure either of them is a proper midfielder, as it were. Pogba might be one day and Schweinsteiger was, briefly, but nah.
Well they do play in midfield...

Unread 17-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Also surely he gets the French job when he wants it? Would be a good fit, too.
Always been more interested in the Germany job iirc, he's from Alsace and speaks the language.

Got to admire the stubbornness on the bloke, they've had the same exact flaws in the squad for at least 5 years and he won't change it because he's convinced he's right. Probably never hated a manager as much as I did Wenger during late 90's/early 00's but as with most things Ferg was ahead of the curve and knew Arsene's confit du canard was cooked years ago.

Unread 17-02-2017, 04:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Always been more interested in the Germany job iirc, he's from Alsace and speaks the language.

Got to admire the stubbornness on the bloke, they've had the same exact flaws in the squad for at least 5 years and he won't change it because he's convinced he's right. Probably never hated a manager as much as I did Wenger during late 90's/early 00's but as with most things Ferg was ahead of the curve and knew Arsene's confit du canard was cooked years ago.
Tbh I think he did a perfectly solid job between moving to the Emirates and about three years ago. Fact is they couldn't compete financially and were always losing their best players, often to domestic rivals. Van Persie was brutal for them.

But the last 3-4 years they haven't had that disruption and he's been able to spend big. Yet they're no better off. If I supported them I'd see this season as pretty much par when you look at their squad, but I doubt I'd ever be able to forget last year. That was their moment and they £#%&!ed it. Coming to Old Trafford to play against our kids and they absolutely bottled it.

Unread 17-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Tbh I think he did a perfectly solid job between moving to the Emirates and about three years ago. Fact is they couldn't compete financially and were always losing their best players, often to domestic rivals. Van Persie was brutal for them.

But the last 3-4 years they haven't had that disruption and he's been able to spend big. Yet they're no better off. If I supported them I'd see this season as pretty much par when you look at their squad, but I doubt I'd ever be able to forget last year. That was their moment and they £#%&!ed it. Coming to Old Trafford to play against our kids and they absolutely bottled it.
I agree the post Highburt years can be split into two, the first 5 years or so was incredible management, most of the established players had gone yet they were challenging for the league and not embarrassing themselves in a Champions League that was much tougher despite spending nothing, playing good football with largely young and unproven players.

But although he's only started spending big money the lasts three years or so I think there were obvious changes he could have made earlier to get more out of them. It's hard to shake the impression that what was once a philosophy born of necessity became a dogmatic adherence.

Unread 17-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Zorg

Quote:
He'd never be able to show his face there again
Would love to see that tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics

He's mentioned in previous interviews that he can't imagine his life without football, basically said he doesn't know how SAF does it
Apparently watches every game on telly in full kit, including shinpads.
'Arsene... come to bed love'.
'In a minute. Lincoln have got a corner'

Unread 17-02-2017, 04:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I agree the post Highburt years can be split into two, the first 5 years or so was incredible management, most of the established players had gone yet they were challenging for the league and not embarrassing themselves in a Champions League that was much tougher despite spending nothing, playing good football with largely young and unproven players.

But although he's only started spending big money the lasts three years or so I think there were obvious changes he could have made earlier to get more out of them. It's hard to shake the impression that what was once a philosophy born of necessity became a dogmatic adherence.
Yeah, and tbh he clearly doesn't know how to manage the big away games these days. They just always look a team who expect to get beat. I think one of their ArsenalFanTV guys mentioned that the only time in recent years they've gone away from home and put in a great, winning performance - at City a couple of years ago - it was when they were miles out of the title race. Typical.

They're still tough to beat at home. But for those big away games you need a good strategy and for the players to believe in it. That's when they too often get exposed. The way they crumbled the other night was truly pathetic.

Unread 17-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Coracao

Nearly six years since this, and he is still there being a perenniel loser

Long may it continue.

Unread 17-02-2017, 06:56 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Contrary to what is quoted up the page he has taken them to a Champions League final too.
I didn't include it because it is not relevant. You don't measure success by the number of finals you lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
When did the back 5 he inherited retire?

For some reason he's never replaced the leadership and mentality that team had and it's been over a decade. Which suggests if he hadn't inherited those qualities in the team, they'd never have had them under wenger and he'd probably have won £#%&! all and been sacked years ago.
Exactly. All this great manager stuff is a load of old balls spouted by the gravey train riding @#%&!s. He was a good manager but to be great you have to do something no one else could have done, not simply match the performance of the last manager at the club.

Unless that last manager was suralex of course

Unread 17-02-2017, 06:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
So do Elneny et al.

Unread 17-02-2017, 06:59 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
So did Djemba-Djemba

Unread 17-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Buck

I would like to see him go to Barcelona and win the Champions League just to see how ArsenalFanTv react.

Unread 17-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Sapien

Lives round the corner from me.

Unread 17-02-2017, 09:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
We got DAVID MOYES in. They will get a top manager and they have the resources to build from there.
Gollum was linked with them once, wasn't he?

Maybe now is the time

Unread 19-02-2017, 12:18 AM
Pop

Wants four more years at Arsenal

Unread 19-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Denis Irwell

He's not gonna walk. Too comfortable in a cushy job. Don't understand Neville because he's clearly past his use by date. Pros always put self-preservation first. Then again, their fans do have unrealistic expectations- not unique,of course.

What's he won in all his time there, anyway? Three titles and a few cups. Pretty good but considering he had the foundations there in the first place...

Unread 19-02-2017, 09:27 AM
kungfu cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I would like to see him go to Barcelona and win the Champions League just to see how ArsenalFanTv react.
Despite it ever happening, why the £#%&! would any self respecting United fan like to see that?
Closed Thread