United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 16-02-2017, 04:01 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Illustrious You mean teams that have at some point been unfortunately shit enough to only qualify for it?

I don't really know of a team that has done all 3 tbh From a quick look.. Real have never been shit enough for the cup winners cup and barca the same for the uefa cup. Has any team won all 3?

I take it you know Barcelona won their first European cup in 1992?

Unread 16-02-2017, 04:03 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
United have won 2 trophies in the last 6 years mate. I don't think we're in any position to be picking and choosing which ones we deem worthy of winning.

Manchester United is about winning things, not getting giddy about the possible chance of finishing 3rd or 4th behind Chelsea. Winning trophies is a £#%&!ing good habit.

Personally I think it's a bit of a c*** that Chelsea have won more than United over the last 10 years and City have won more than United in the last 5 years. That's something that doesn't sit well with me and shouldn't sit well with all United fans.

Well said, Chris.
Sit well with me. You didn't just say that £#%&! me sideways 😂😂😂😂

Unread 16-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
I take it you know Barcelona won their first European cup in 1992?
I think Barcelona are the record holders for the cup winners cup?

Madrid played in the cup winners cup in the 1970s ...they also got beat in the 1983 cup winners cup final by Aberdeen...but I can't think why a manchester united fan should know that because some unknown scot was managing aberdeen at the time.

Unread 16-02-2017, 04:16 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think Barcelona are the record holders for the cup winners cup?

Madrid played in the cup winners cup in the 1970s ...they also got beat in the 1983 cup winners cup final by Aberdeen...but I can't think why a manchester united fan should know that because some unknown scot was managing aberdeen at the time.
Yeah, they won a bunch of cup winners cups but according to Sizzles they were too good to be entering that or the UEFA cup.

Unread 16-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

historically speaking the cup winners' cup was a distant 3rd in the prestige stakes because basically any team in any old domestic league could be your opponents - the year we won it i seem to remember us playing wrexham one week and halifax town the next in the early rounds of the cwc and the league cup... once we'd turned pecsi munkas over it was only wrexham that stood between us and the quarter final.

by the time uefa got rid of it, the uefa cup was probably at least on a par with the champions league for standard of opposition iirc - it was definitely an issue before the CL was formed, that's for sure.

people think letting 3rd & 4th into the CL wrecks it, but what it really did was wreck the uefa cup, which would be an incredible tournament by now if that didn't happen. as it is, looking through the likely last 16 this season it's an impressive list that looks like the old uefa cup but with only 2 proper giants - us and ajax.

Unread 16-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Switching Off

https://www.theguardian.com/football...up-winners-cup

Unread 16-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Albert Tatlock

I want to win this cup and jem can go £#%&! himself. It's a chance for a trophy and a place in next season's cl.

Unread 16-02-2017, 05:24 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
really? the european cup has always been the only one worth winning.

I'd like united to win something, but, if you spread yourself too thin, you will fail on all fronts with a knackered squad. this ridiculous thursday night competition can £#%&! off.

I'd like us to finish in the top four because it might help improve the squad. we have £#%&! all chance of lifting the european cup any time soon. I don't think bayern would have put five past bailly and de gea, though. probs because we'd have gone out in the group stage to a dutch team.
I'm not saying they were ever on a par, of course the European Cup was always the pinnacle. But time was they were all deemed to be great tournaments to be involved in and certainly win. They were certainly not to be mocked like the Europa is these days. But everyone knows it's been devalued by the artificial bloating of the Champions League to the monstrous cash cow it is these days.

I get what you and Sizzers are saying about it, and I'm sure there's not one of us would rather be entering the Europa than the Champs League, but if we're in a competition then I want us to actually be trying to win the thing, no matter what it is.

Nothing in football beats watching your team collecting silverwear. Nothing.

Unread 16-02-2017, 05:28 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
I want to win this cup and jem can go £#%&! himself. It's a chance for a trophy and a place in next season's cl.
I stopped giving myself trophies for £#%&!ing myself years ago.

Unread 16-02-2017, 06:41 PM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
So when a team won the double they entered both competitions didn't they, Or did one supersede another?......... Take your time its a tricky one.

What a set of pedants, its so clique on here.

A £#%&!ing moaning c**kney bastard is telling me about United and what we should be happy with from our club ffs The most glory hunting, mardy spoilt c*** ive ever had the displeasure to read and hes actually telling me not be so picky because £#%&!ing Chelsea have won more than us in the last 10 year. hahaha bugger me.

I cant remember you w*****g each other off when we won the charity shield, that counts as a trophy.

FFS! In the scale of trophies the uefa cup is low £#%&!ing down, everyone of you thinks it/knows it so what the £#%&! are you all on about?
You want to £#%&! it off and concentrate on top 4 though.
Is that better than winning a trophy?
Both get you into the champions league.

It doesn't make any sense

Unread 16-02-2017, 06:54 PM
andyroo

Yeah well I want to win the European Cup again but we can't win it without being in it. And £#%&!ing this off isn't going to guarantee that we qualify, it's not a trade-off. It'd be really nice to win this.

Unread 16-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Ethers

Fellaini starts.

Great

Unread 16-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Sparky***

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:04 PM
ziggyman17

no Rooney.............

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Cream

Jose don't give a £#%&! about this comp.

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
no Rooney.............
All ready discussed by Jose....

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:10 PM
ZiggyStardust

No Micki No Party

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:14 PM
92ToBury

Not much down the flanks, unless he's playing Mata and Martial out wide and Poggers as the 10?

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Jose don't give a £#%&! about this comp.
Maybe give Rashford a game up front then?

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Maybe give Rashford a game up front then?
Alright Marlo, turn it in.
Closed Thread