United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-02-2017, 05:55 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yeah they did. But United were the best team in the world at the time in 2000 and they came to old trafford and ran in 3 goals with little fuss, however they came about.

In 2002 United were nowhere near as good, conceding goals for fun in a defence that had the ancient Laurent Blanc in it...whist we're talking about teams that finished 3rd, United also finished 3rd that season whilst conceding about 50 goals.
We had about twice as many chances as them but our defence was absolutely shite that season
Won the league by double digit points but still conceded something like 51 goals

Also in that game Karanka cleared a ball that was goal bound over the cross bar with his hand at only 0-1
Should have been a pen and a red card which would have completely changed the game but funnily enough the media barely mentioned it now if the boot was on the other foot....

Unread 15-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Zorg

One of the biggest factors back then, imo, was the goalkeeper. From Fatty Boy Bosnich to that clown Barthez, once Schmeichel left things all went a bit shaky at the back. He gave the defence that rock-solid confidence that wasn't seen again until Van der Sar was signed.

*passes self-flaggelation whip to next person*

Unread 15-02-2017, 06:20 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Meh
Nah, it will be horrible - May 2012 revisited

Unread 15-02-2017, 06:23 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Nah, it will be horrible - May 2012 revisited
I refer the honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave a short time ago

Quote:
That's probably because you live in/near Manchester. I live on the south coast, there isn't a city supporter within a hundred miles of me

Unread 15-02-2017, 06:23 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
One of the biggest factors back then, imo, was the goalkeeper. From Fatty Boy Bosnich to that clown Barthez, once Schmeichel left things all went a bit shaky at the back. He gave the defence that rock-solid confidence that wasn't seen again until Van der Sar was signed.

Love Big Ed tbh.

Now about that whip...

Unread 15-02-2017, 07:02 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

You leave big Mike alone.

Unread 15-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Love Big Ed tbh.

Now about that whip...

Unread 15-02-2017, 08:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I refer the honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave a short time ago
Still wall to wall media coverage for weeks afterwards, wherever you live. Unless its Antarctica, possibly

Unread 15-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
It annoyed the life out of me that we spent years being head and shoulders above Madrid but the stuffy c***s kept avoiding us.

Would've absolutely loved us to have torn them to shreds.
No Fergie team would have torn a European giant to shreds. He was far too fearful towards them. The team usually started the huge European knockout games as nervous wrecks which lead to stupid mistakes they wouldn't normally make. We didn't really sort that out until 2008 onwards.

Used to piss me off that an inferior Liverpool under Benitez had no issues and over achieved in europe whilst a superior united looked like nervous wrecks.

Unread 16-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yeah they did. But United were the best team in the world at the time in 2000 and they came to old trafford and ran in 3 goals with little fuss, however they came about.

In 2002 United were nowhere near as good, conceding goals for fun in a defence that had the ancient Laurent Blanc in it...whist we're talking about teams that finished 3rd, United also finished 3rd that season whilst conceding about 50 goals.
Given how United (apart from Ruud) bottled it in Madrid the following season, I'm not sure how well a 2002 final against Madrid would have gone. Beckham wouldn't have been available either.

Unread 16-02-2017, 09:22 AM
sa7

Quote:
Well, that and Carrick

Absolutely SEETHING at him after that, nqat
Was furious at Fergie myself. The nearest thing to a centre forward we had was Nani. We had no outlet up top, nobody to relieve the pressure by holding up the ball. It was just wave after wave of Bayern pressure until the inevitable happened and that Dutch freak scored a pearler. I was absolutely screaming towards the bench to get Macheda on for a bit of physical presence.

Seeing Shorts pointlessly posturing on the touchline that night compounded my hatred of the man

Unread 16-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Given how United (apart from Ruud) bottled it in Madrid the following season, I'm not sure how well a 2002 final against Madrid would have gone. Beckham wouldn't have been available either.
For two and a half seasons Beckham played but might as well have been unavailable.

Unread 16-02-2017, 05:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Well, that and Carrick

Absolutely SEETHING at him after that, nqat
Yep. Bayern had started to take control of the game before the sending off, which made it even more of a poor decision by Rafael. But Fergie £#%&!ed that tie, nqat, LvG's Bayern were not a great side and certainly shouldn't have been good enough to beat us. We'd probably have won the first leg if Fergie hadn't subbed Carrick for Berbatov with about 20 mins to go and completely opened the midfield

Gutted after that electric first half an hour

Unread 16-02-2017, 08:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Though we might have had more chance against them in a one off game.

Unread 17-02-2017, 02:44 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep. Bayern had started to take control of the game before the sending off, which made it even more of a poor decision by Rafael. But Fergie £#%&!ed that tie, nqat, LvG's Bayern were not a great side and certainly shouldn't have been good enough to beat us. We'd probably have won the first leg if Fergie hadn't subbed Carrick for Berbatov with about 20 mins to go and completely opened the midfield

Gutted after that electric first half an hour
Didn't Neville also perform an absolutely ludicrous handball in the first leg which resulted in them scoring from the set piece?

Unread 17-02-2017, 02:58 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Didn't Neville also perform an absolutely ludicrous handball in the first leg which resulted in them scoring from the set piece?
sure did. And Evra didnt know Olic was running in behind him to nick the ball for the winner. It was a pretty bad choke, Vidic headed off the bar too at 0-1 or 1-1.

Unread 17-02-2017, 03:11 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
For two and a half seasons Beckham played but might as well have been unavailable.
He hit a good run of form before his foot injury and scored some magnificent goals. Not that I think it would have ultumately made a difference in a final against Madrid mind
Closed Thread