United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-02-2017, 10:35 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Can't take away from being In a ground seeing your childhood team win that trophy. Glad for the match day reds they all saw it ⚽⚽⚽⚽.
werent you a steward minding the bogs or something? At least you heard the roar of the crowd.

Unread 15-02-2017, 10:46 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Highest of Highs and Lowest of lows. Could you make an argument that the importance placed on the tournament, Fergies' obsession, inhibited the players? Always felt that being knocked out led to a depression around the club, meant that Utd had to be exceptional to win, not just benefit from a cup run.

Dortmund, Monaco, Leverkusen, Madrid the first time around, Porto, some painful ones in there.
Ferguson won the European Cup twice which puts him among the most successful managers, but I have no doubt he feels we underachieved a little overall. Most managers don't get best part of twenty years being in it every season with a side they built. It's true that we were unlucky to run into Barca at our peak, but too many soft eliminations to inferiors Porto, Leverkusen, Monaco, Dortmund.

Complacency for a few of them. Especially Leverkusen; I think everyone thought we were already at Hampden Park for the final.

Will always wonder what would have happened in 2013 without Nani's red against Real, though. Came during a highly polished European performance. We had Real's number; completely shutting them out of the game.

Unread 15-02-2017, 10:48 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Ferguson won the European Cup twice which puts him among the most successful managers, but I have no doubt he feels we underachieved a little overall. Most managers don't get best part of twenty years being in it every season with a side they built. It's true that we were unlucky to run into Barca at our peak, but too many soft eliminations to inferiors Porto, Leverkusen, Monaco, Dortmund.

Complacency for a few of them. Especially Leverkusen; I think everyone thought we were already at Hampden Park for the final.

Will always wonder what would have happened in 2013 without Nani's red against Real, though. Came during a highly polished European performance. We had Real's number; completely shutting them out of the game.

Unread 15-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I am clearly a pessimist. Rather than seeing opportunities for a future United side, I see a team likely going out that would normally beat any other English side that came up against it, thus making another Chelsea win, or god forbid a first Arsenal one, more likely

Chin up mate, City might win it

Unread 15-02-2017, 11:23 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Could be worse... but don't even go there
Not this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Chin up mate, City might win it
Meh

Unread 15-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Just as well we weren't because that Madrid team would have seen us off with little bother.

Unread 15-02-2017, 01:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Just as well we weren't because that Madrid team would have seen us off with little bother.
No Ronaldo for them that year.

United were a decent side btw. Keane, Scholes, Veron, Giggs, Beckham, van Nistelrooy. Might have had a chance, mate.

Unread 15-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

It's not the match thread mate..

Unread 15-02-2017, 01:42 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unread 15-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
No Ronaldo for them that year.

United were a decent side btw. Keane, Scholes, Veron, Giggs, Beckham, van Nistelrooy. Might have had a chance, mate.
They couldn't beat Leverkusen pal. After having 2 tries.

That United team also conceded goals for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Quiet you.

Unread 15-02-2017, 02:34 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
werent you a steward minding the bogs or something? At least you heard the roar of the crowd.
No .. in full view when ole scored treacle 10 feet from the goal. You were probably befriending famous musicians at the time

Unread 15-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo

Meh

Strange that you only mentioned your annoyance that Chelsea or arsenal now have more chance of winning it. Personally I couldn't care less about a couple of London teams. Id prefer City not to win it, but that's just me.

Unread 15-02-2017, 02:35 PM
puressence

Quote:
Pointless @#%&! imagine pretending to support Utd and neverseen a European cup final

Unread 15-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
that the same real team that finished 3rd behind depor - the same depor we beat home and away in the quarters?

yes it is.

Unread 15-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
that the same real team that finished 3rd behind depor - the same depor we beat home and away in the quarters?

yes it is.
Well they saw us off without too much trouble just 2 years earlier.... and that was without the best player in the world Zidane.

Unread 15-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Well they saw us off without too much trouble just 2 years earlier.... and that was without the best player in the world Zidane.
all about the away goal - cole hit the bar from 5yds out over there. keane turned a cross into his own net at OT.

seem to remember van nistelrooy and beckham both missing great chances for more away goals in 03 as well.

Unread 15-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
We should have won that tie I remember Giggs absolutely murdering Madrid in the OT match only for some suicidal defending and being caught on the break.

Really could have won all 3 of the ties against Madrid. People look upon the second meeting against the Galactico era as a lesson but the main difference over the 2 legs was the goalkeeping, Utd missed so many chances over both legs. And then we had the Nani red card match when a squad that would soon be derided were well in control until that moment.

Unread 15-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
all about the away goal - cole hit the bar from 5yds out over there. keane turned a cross into his own net at OT.

seem to remember van nistelrooy and beckham both missing great chances for more away goals in 03 as well.
yeah they did. But United were the best team in the world at the time in 2000 and they came to old trafford and ran in 3 goals with little fuss, however they came about.

In 2002 United were nowhere near as good, conceding goals for fun in a defence that had the ancient Laurent Blanc in it...whist we're talking about teams that finished 3rd, United also finished 3rd that season whilst conceding about 50 goals.

Unread 15-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
yeah they did. But United were the best team in the world at the time in 2000 and they came to old trafford and ran in 3 goals with little fuss, however they came about.

In 2002 United were nowhere near as good, conceding goals for fun in a defence that had the ancient Laurent Blanc in it...whist we're talking about teams that finished 3rd, United also finished 3rd that season whilst conceding about 50 goals.
that 2001/02 season after the 1st group stage we played 3 of the top teams in europe at the time, depor, bayern and leverkusen and lost none of them 6 games...

real did add to their lead in 2000 but only after keane had missed a sitter for 1-1 to make amends for his og. we were chasing that game from very early on... context is important as well, since even now no team has ever defended the CL and this is the 25th year.

Unread 15-02-2017, 04:40 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Strange that you only mentioned your annoyance that Chelsea or arsenal now have more chance of winning it. Personally I couldn't care less about a couple of London teams. Id prefer City not to win it, but that's just me.
That's probably because you live in/near Manchester. I live on the south coast, there isn't a city supporter within a hundred miles of me
Closed Thread