Yes 18 30.00%
No 42 70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 12-02-2017, 05:28 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Exactly. Possibly. You don't know, I don't know. My hunch is he wouldn't be as good a coach as he is a player but that's just me.

Mourihno was no great shakes as a player fwiw

Unread 12-02-2017, 05:31 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Managers are different, I'd suggest you go and look at the role of a football coach pal...
That's a good point. Do we know any former top level players who went on to be good coaches? Managers maybe, but coaches?

So a no for me. As if Rooney could be arsed.

Unread 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Apparently we don't want to become Liverpool
Great players do it automatically become great coaches .

Just ask Bobby Carlton .

Can't see why any top player gets a job as a coach based on his playing record.

Giving slippy a job was mawkish sentimentality .

Unread 12-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:

Managers are different, I'd suggest you go and look at the role of a football coach pal...
How many top players become great coaches?

Bloody hell. I personally don't think he's be as good a coach as he was a player. That's hardly revolutionary or slating Rooney as a player in any way at all

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:02 PM
believe

Quote:

Bloody hell. I personally don't think he's be as good a coach as he was a player. That's hardly revolutionary or slating Rooney as a player in any way at all
This is probably why "whip" thinks Zlatan would make a great coach.

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
That's a good point. Do we know any former top level players who went on to be good coaches? Managers maybe, but coaches?

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:03 PM
redhegemony

Coaching is a science which is coupled with the ability to 'teach' and 'motivate'. Quite hard for players to coach as knowledge is limited to their own circumstances and clouded by subjectivity.

Might be the sort of bloke who could be a mentor as youngsters will look up to him.

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:09 PM
waynes ear's

If SSG can coach players....

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Clarkie

Can't be any worse than Wee Jimmy and Phil Neville...See what happens when he retires.

Doubt Mourinho would hire him though. Thought he always hires coaches he knows well and trusts or something

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Coaching is a science which is coupled with the ability to 'teach' and 'motivate'. Quite hard for players to coach as knowledge is limited to their own circumstances and clouded by subjectivity.

Might be the sort of bloke who could be a mentor as youngsters will look up to him.

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Hang on, why are you changing your argument?

You said because he wasn't a worldy at "any particular thing" he wouldn't be a good coach?

You're AOTS Harold

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
VodkaAndCoke

No one knows if Rooney would make a good coach or not but if that's the road he wants to go down in the future why wouldn't you want him to try at United?

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Hang on, why are you changing your argument?

You said because he wasn't a worldy at "any particular thing" he wouldn't be a good coach?

You're AOTS Harold
No I'm not

If you were only allowed to choose players as coaches (which you aren't). Then if you were choosing a finishing coach you would choose rvn, if you were choosing a midfield coach you would choose scholes.

As it is it takes more than just being a great player to be a great coach

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Clarkie

I'm sure people thought Fergie and Mourinho wouldn't make great coaches/managers.

There's no point in discussing it really. Only one way to find out. Can't believe I'm going to say this but, the future? God only knows

Would I welcome him? Well, he's not going to be our manager anytime soon so I'd neither welcome him nor not welcome him....More of a "Oh right" type of reaction

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
No one knows if Rooney would make a good coach or not but if that's the road he wants to go down in the future why wouldn't you want him to try at United?
Because he's Scouse, he hasn't got the same body as an ex united player, Fergie lied about a transfer request and agenda

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Because he's Scouse, he hasn't got the same body as an ex united player, Fergie lied about a transfer request and agenda

the rooney love-in knows no bounds

are there no depths to which the fanboys will not sink

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Ethers

Quote:
No I'm not

If you were only allowed to choose players as coaches (which you aren't). Then if you were choosing a finishing coach you would choose rvn, if you were choosing a midfield coach you would choose scholes.

As it is it takes more than just being a great player to be a great coach
There can be more than one "finishing coach" in the whole world though?

Bit weird to be pulling the greatest goalscorer in our history up on his finishing too

When he's on form, he's always been deadly.

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
There can be more than one "finishing coach" in the whole world though?

Bit weird to be pulling the greatest goalscorer in our history up on his finishing too

When he's on form, he's always been deadly.

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

the rooney love-in knows no bounds

are there no depths to which the fanboys will not sink

Quote:
Then two years ago Rooney was in and out of the United team before Ferguson’s retirement and Chelsea wanted to sign him. “I went in to see him (Ferguson) and just said ‘if you are not going to play me then it might be better for me to move on’,” Rooney explains in the film...

“Then, all of a sudden, it was all over the press that I had put a transfer request in which I never did. I don’t know what happened, why that came out that way.”
Sooooo

Looks like Fergie or the club spun it that way....surely Fergie would of mentioned it in his book or rebutted this quote from Rooney ?

No transfer request was submitted...

Amazing the amount of people caught up in RI lies..

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Didn't Fergie just say that Rooney had "asked away" though? Sounds a bit like asking away tbh.
Closed Thread