United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
We were way ahead in 96/97 99/00 and 00/01. But why doesn't that make Beckham, Neville and Ole overrated too?

And the Shearer comparison is a straw man. Shearer wasn't as good as Ronaldo Lima.
I wasn't my argument about Cole I just remember back then folk used to say he needed a few goes before bagging a goal(somthing welbeck gets thrown at him too tbf)but there are only a few players with hardly any flaws in there game Ronnie,messi etc.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Mr_Ed

I do maintain that, had we signed SOP, we'd have won more than the solitary European Cup in the 90's / 00's

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
I wasn't my argument about Cole I just remember back then folk used to say he needed a few goes before bagging a goal(somthing welbeck gets thrown at him too tbf)but there are only a few players with hardly any flaws in there game Ronnie,messi etc.
It was glenn hoddle who said that and then the press made it standard comment when talking about Cole.

Welbeck needs a few chances in the same way every other average finisher does.

Quote:
Imo the only one that that point has a case for is Dortmund 97.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:09 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
He played in a team way ahead of all others at the time so it could be argued he was overrated
Good player but stinks of piss was the top striker of the late 90,s tbh
He has scored more Premier League goals than Shearer if you take away penalties (as he didn't take any that I know of)

Very underrated footballer due to his failure with England, his poor injury ravaged first couple of full seasons with us and the myth that he needed 5 chances to score a goal

Love Cole

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM
andyroo

The winner of the league leg of the treble v Spurs is my favourite Andy Cole moment.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:13 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I do maintain that, had we signed SOP, we'd have won more than the solitary European Cup in the 90's / 00's
Or we might have won none as the Cole and Yorke partnership was a huge part of our only European Cup win of that period

It's all hypothetical

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM
taff

great times. was a monday night wasn't it? remember reading it on teletext then seeing all the geordies baying outside st james park on the evening news everything just seemed to have a bit more magic about it pre-internet.

cole was a great striker as well, not his fault he was sold down the river by @#%&!s like glenn hoddle. unfortunate he had to find his feet at united during a title run-in, but he grew into a supremely intelligent player and the partnership with yorke as the culmination of his career was a joy to behold.

his goal against spurs on the last day in '99 is one of my favourite united goals of the modern era; a difficult chance in a high-pressure game for a player who had been unfairly derided in such circumstances, and he took it wonderfully.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
great times. was a monday night wasn't it? remember reading it on teletext then seeing all the geordies baying outside st james park on the evening news everything just seemed to have a bit more magic about it pre-internet.

cole was a great striker as well, not his fault he was sold down the river by @#%&!s like glenn hoddle. unfortunate he had to find his feet at united during a title run-in, but he grew into a supremely intelligent player and the partnership with yorke as the culmination of his career was a joy to behold.

his goal against spurs on the last day in '99 is one of my favourite united goals of the modern era; a difficult chance in a high-pressure game for a player who had been unfairly derided in such circumstances, and he took it wonderfully.
Signed on a tuesday lunchtime iirc.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
Thought it was a Sunday myself.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Lok

Tuesday.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM
waynes ear's

Andrew if you dont mind

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Tiberian

There was a wonderful goal he scored at Leeds in a very important late season game when they were the closest challengers(how odd does that seem now?) Controlled a ball with his head, back to goal, 40 yards out, Radebe tight against him, as it comes down he flicks it towards the goal as he turns, outpaces the defender while keeping a bobbling ball under control then a superb dinked finish.

Can never find a vid of it on youtube, might be stuck in a longer video but it was one of his best goals.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:31 AM
taff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
aye, 10th jan 1995 was a tuesday.

didn't score for us until the villa game on 4th feb, sure i remember it as earlier than that. still managed 12 in 18 for us that season, although five were against ipswich

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:33 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The winner of the league leg of the treble v Spurs is my favourite Andy Cole moment.
That winning goal won us the League. Made up for the miss at Upton Park.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
There was a wonderful goal he scored at Leeds in a very important late season game when they were the closest challengers(how odd does that seem now?) Controlled a ball with his head, back to goal, 40 yards out, Radebe tight against him, as it comes down he flicks it towards the goal as he turns, outpaces the defender while keeping a bobbling ball under control then a superb dinked finish.

Can never find a vid of it on youtube, might be stuck in a longer video but it was one of his best goals.
That was a huge goal, they were coming after us and we were three points ahead with about 12 games left, was a real intense game too.

That was the game scholes played wide and Beckham was in the stands after a rift with Saf.

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:46 AM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

1:21 here

Unread 10-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
That winning goal won us the League. Made up for the miss at Upton Park.

That was Cole Somtimes brilliant (spuds at home) or frustrating (hammers away) deffo a wellbeck of his time

Unread 10-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Jack Duckworth

Thumbs up

vividly remember my mate phoning me on the house phone after school to tell me that he'd seen on teletext that we'd signed cole.

went and got a snide 'cole 17' on my united top the day after

Unread 10-01-2015, 12:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
aye, 10th jan 1995 was a tuesday.

didn't score for us until the villa game on 4th feb, sure i remember it as earlier than that. still managed 12 in 18 for us that season, although five were against ipswich
I arrived home from school and walked into our shop which was at the front of the house and we lived behind/above it and my dad handed me the early edition of the Evening News, just stood there in the shop reading it, confused, took a few minutes before realisation that it wasn't Collymore descended and joy took over

The £#%&!ing frustration having to wait about 2 weeks for him to play for us due to internationals :shakehead:

Unread 10-01-2015, 12:08 PM
irk

"Keane gets off the shot and it goes postal"

He means it hit the post. £#%&!ing yanks.
Closed Thread