United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-01-2010, 05:53 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
For £1.2m though he was a steal.
He was excellent cover, agreed. Though he shouldn't be anywhere near a discussion of Ferguson's best ever signings.
Quote:
Could do with a 26 year old Ole on the bench now.
Goes without saying.

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
IMHO Evra was just as good a signing as Irwin.

£500k in 1990 roughly equates to £5m in 2006 (we were up for sale fo £20m in the late 80s )

Both consistently brilliant. Other than his debut and two games against Spurs last season Evra has rarely dropped below an 8/10.
was going to say evra myself

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:04 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
was going to say evra myself
As much as I love Evra, he needs to keep it up for another 6 years and start scoring a few to be considered alongside Irwin imo.

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:09 PM
tdf1

schmeical
cantona
keane
ronaldo
cole

worst!! the list is endless

all keepers bar big peter and vds
blanc
miller
smith
BERBATOV

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:13 PM
carlosartorial

I can't see why people are putting Blanc in.

Sure he had no pace at the age he joined but Ferguson has said on a few occasions how influential he was off the pitch too. Classy player, and still walked away with a title medal.

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:18 PM
magic_cantona

Just like to say that when people go on about Fergie making a huge mistake in signing Veron, any coach in the world would've signed him at that time - if they could've.He was absolute class and it was just a simple case of him not being able to adapt imo.

When we signed him, I was buzzing and remember every pundit in the land saying stuff like "That's it now, United will dominate at home and in Europe for years.What a player Veron is.".

As for his best signings:

Cantona
Rooney
Eric
Schmikes
Keane

Worst:

Miller - embarrassing
Djemba - embarrassing
Blanc - was finished tbf
Alan Smith - especially when he was palyed at CM :shakehead:
Bellion - embarrassing.

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Whip Hubley

Best:

Evra
Keane
Solskjaer
Schmeichel
Ruud

Worst:

Djemba twins
Bellion
Miller
Berbatov - I like berbs but wtf fergie was doing signing that kind of player I don't know
Dong

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:22 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Just like to say that when people go on about Fergie making a huge mistake in signing Veron, any coach in the world would've signed him at that time - if they could've.He was absolute class and it was just a simple case of him not being able to adapt imo.

When we signed him, I was buzzing and remember every pundit in the land saying stuff like "That's it now, United will dominate at home and in Europe for years.What a player Veron is.".

As for his best signings:

Cantona
Rooney
Eric
Schmikes
Keane

Worst:

Miller - embarrassing
Djemba - embarrassing
Blanc - was finished tbf
Alan Smith - especially when he was palyed at CM :shakehead:
Bellion - embarrassing.
Cantona and Eric, magic?

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:28 PM
borsuk

giggs and four others ffs. imagine him playing two decades for the £#%&!ing bitters if fergie hadn't taken him from them :shakehead:

the other four?
schmeichel
irwin
bruce
cantona

honorable mentions for pallister, kanchelskis, keane, rooney, ronaldo, cole, vds, evra and ole.

worst

taibi
dong
miller
prunier
milne

goram, bosnich, the djembas, kleberson and that scouse runt all not far off

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Cantona and Eric, magic?
nah he just spelt nevlands first name wrong

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
giggs and four others ffs. imagine him playing two decades for the £#%&!ing bitters if fergie hadn't taken him from them :shakehead:
Probably be the only player to be relegated 11 times.

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:31 PM
magic_cantona

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Cantona and Eric, magic?
ffs, Holocaust.

Giggs, I was plumping for.

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:33 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:

Unread 25-01-2010, 06:38 PM
borsuk

Quote:

Unread 25-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Harry Flashman

BEST

Schmeichel
Cantona
Hughes
Ronaldo
Keane

Although im finding it tough to finalise a 5

Hughes, for what bringing him back meant at the time
Cantona & Schmeichel go without saying

Then I start to struggle, Keane for what he brought to the team and we had that continuity in midfield from Robson - Ince - Keane, something we are lacking a bit nowadays.
And Ronaldo ahead of Rooney but only because signing Rooney is hardly the sign of genius management, same as Rafta signing Torres, people knew how good these players were, could become, its more a case of having a big enough cheque book. You could say that about Keane as well.

As for his worst

someones beat me to it name any keeper. (Not VDS)
In the same way Cloughie seemed to struggle with strikers Fergie really does have a blind spot when it comes to keepers.
How £#%&!ing blatant was the fact we really needed to replace the Dane with the best available so we went for the cheap option.
Bosnich FAIL

Then that clown Barthez Fail

etc etc when we were spending £30mill on Veron when we really should have been chasing Buffon or similar.

Unread 25-01-2010, 08:34 PM
borsuk

btw, should probably say that i chose signings that built the united of fergie's era, not those that maintained it. hence schmikes, bruce, cantona, irwin rather than some of the later ones.

my criteria, as the thread starter said.
Closed Thread