United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
The Return of JC

Default Arsene Wenger

Respect to the man.

I know he's not the most popular man on here, but I've always respected the job he's done at Arsenal and the way he's gone about it.

He was a little insufferably during their 'invincible' year and seemed to throw his toys out the pram when teams started to rumble them. But he seems a lot more passive these days and is quietly going about his business.

He reminds me a lot of Fergie in the way he builds teams at Arsenal and creates a sort of mantra running through the club. All his teams, from first 11 to youth teams, will play in the same way.

Yes, they're a little soft and yes, sometimes the end product isn't there. But they're very entertaining and generally try to play the game in the right way.

He decides on the style his team will play and he believes it will prosper. It's fast flowing and exciting and I really respect that.

He's not as perfect in the transfer market as some suggest, but he ceratinly has a knack for unearthing young talent and, more importantly, he invests an awful lot of faith and trust in these kids.
Frankly, it's something I wish we'd do more. Throw these kids in and see if they swim. There'll be huge lessons to learn but he trusts his players will come through it as better players.

The man has his flaws, ofcourse, but so does Fergie. He's not out to be popular. All he cares about is his team and he has the ability, like Fergie, to build teams over a period of years and show tremendous faith in his players.

It'd be very easy for him to walk away for a more glamorous job with more money to spend and more pulling power, but he seems to want to stay to see out what he has started - fair play to him.

He a a terrific manager. Certainly the only man who comes close to Fergie in the recent years.

(Ok. You can slate me now )

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

He's probably one of the sourest #@&%!s in world football. And he would be sacked after a year at Madrid, but then again...

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Mr_Ed

I like the way the gooners play football... after us they are the second best team to watch and aren't at all direct like Chelsea or the vermin.

I think he wants to emulate Fergus and get a team from youth to the champions league final - the only difference being that Fergus did it with local lads and not foreign imports... oh and he's not won the champions league yet either

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Qwertyuiop

He's a @#%&! and I hate him.

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
He's probably one of the sourest #@&%!s in world football.
So?

The majority of people at the top are #@&%!s.

Fergie's a #@&%!, but he's our #@&%!. Mourinho's a #@&%!. But they all share the common trait of wanting the best for their team.

(except Mourinho who needs the ego boost too )

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I like the way the gooners play football... after us they are the second best team to watch and aren't at all direct like Chelsea or the vermin.
I think he wants to emulate Fergus and get a team from youth to the champions league final - the only difference being that Fergus did it with local lads and not foreign imports... oh and he's not won the champions league yet either
This is the nub of my jist. I admire the way he insists that his side play good football throughout.

The game is so driven to big, strong sides out muscling and out hustling 'better' footballing sides with pure athleticism and ruthless efficiency. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think you need to admire all sides to the game. But most of us watch football, and in particular United, for the entertainment factor and althought he operates slightly differently to us - he tries to succeed with attacking, entertaining football.

I'll always respect people who do that.

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Jack Duckworth

top manager, but a complete @#%&! of a man, would be my assessment.

to any lurking journos, feel free to use that.

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
MUFC One Love

Complete @#%&!. It's easy to forget just what a @#%&! he was when we was at the top with them. A vile moaning dirty @#%&! with a team of cheats and the F.A. doing them favours.

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:47 AM
dodger

I'm backing Arsene all the way this season He's going to stop the scousers.

Unread 07-09-2007, 10:47 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
top manager, but a complete @#%&! of a man, would be my assessment.

to any lurking journos, feel free to use that.
Most are.

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
sharath

I like him.

The best thing is he isn't afraid to give youngsters a chance. Probably he will be the only manager who has a net profit in transfer market among the top clubs.

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
MUFC One Love

How anyone can like him is beyond me. People have short memories I suppose. Mourinho is the new hate figure isn't he?!

Unread 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Serenity Now

He's done a very good job at Arsenal. I don't think anyone can deny that. And I do respect him for establishing a football philosophy at his club based around attacking, triangular, one and two touch football.

However, I also get sick of some of the hype about the football that Arsenal play. It's very good yes, but it's not nearly as special as it's made out to be ("the best team ever", "the sole true heirs to total football" etc.). Compared to most other managers, he also seems to get a free pass from the media regarding his mistakes in the transfer market.

And his team a few years back was surely one of the most detestable in recent history. I don't think there's any group of players about at the moment that I dislike as much as I disliked them.

Unread 07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
He's done a very good job at Arsenal. I don't think anyone can deny that. And I do respect him for establishing a football philosophy at his club based around attacking, triangular, one and two touch football.

However, I also get sick of some of the hype about the football that Arsenal play. It's very good yes, but it's not nearly as special as it's made out to be ("the best team ever", "the sole true heirs to total football" etc.). Compared to most other managers, he also seems to get a free pass from the media regarding his mistakes in the transfer market.

And his team a few years back was surely one of the most detestable in recent history. I don't think there's any group of players about at the moment that I dislike as much as I disliked them.
I think that's a good assessment.

It all went to their heads a bit a few years back didn't it?

There is an argument that they don't play the best football because the end product disappoints. 'Good football' should consist of all elements of the move should it? Including the final ball?

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM
redmike

He's a top coach, whose teams always play great attacking football, yes he's a sore loser but all winners are, i can't call the man a @#%&! because i don't know the guy, but with supporters of opposing teams to call a rival a @#%&! means they fear him as a rival.

I'd certainly prefer a arsenal led by someone other than wenger.

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
believe

It's funny people call him a @#%&! based on mostly his loyalty to his club. Not that our Angel SAF as ever done the same

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It's funny people call him a @#%&! based on mostly his loyalty to his club. Not that our Angel SAF as ever done the same
Wenger was a dirty cheating @#%&! and his team were cheats. It's nothing to do with his loyalty. It's only now he has been left behind people have got a soft spot for him. Sure they played some top football and still do, but no back to back titles or a European Cup under him and 4th spot finish. And also some horrific buys. Won't get mentioned though.

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
penguin1

... ' ....He was a little insufferably during their 'invincible' year and seemed to throw his toys out the pram when teams started to rumble them. But he seems a lot more passive these days and is quietly going about his business.'

Yes, yes, his behaviour at West Ham last season suggests he's much more reasonable now....

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
So?

The majority of people at the top are #@&%!s.

Fergie's a #@&%!, but he's our #@&%!. Mourinho's a #@&%!. But they all share the common trait of wanting the best for their team.

(except Mourinho who needs the ego boost too )
I don't think Mourinho is anywhere near as insufferable as Wenger to be honest. Yes most top managers are stubborn but Wenger takes it to another level. And he has tantrums, public tantrums. Great coach, good eye for young players but he's a dry shite.

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
How anyone can like him is beyond me. People have short memories I suppose. Mourinho is the new hate figure isn't he?!
i agree, he is an absolute @#%&! of the highest order. He will always be my number one hate figure in terms of managers, Mourinho doesn't even come close. He is actually quite likeable in a weird sort of way. Wenger on the other hand is a slimy @#%&! who constantly attempts to steal the moral high ground in any kind of dispute he is involved in.
Closed Thread