United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up Evans to get chance next season

05/06/2007 10:55, Report by Ben Hibbs

Evans to get United chanceHighly-rated young Reds defender Jonny Evans will be back at Old Trafford next season attempting to earn his stripes in the United first team.

After impressing on loan with Royal Antwerp in the first half of the 2006/07 campaign, Belfast-born Jonny was handed his Northern Ireland debut and then helped Roy Keane's Sunderland side reach the Premiership.

Keane was hopeful of retaining the 19-year-old's services for his first season in the top-flight, but Sir Alex has made it clear that Evans has done enough to prove he is capable of pushing for first-team experience.

"The manager has made it clear that I won't be going out on loan again," Evans told the Belfast Telegraph. "I'll be back at United and we'll see what happens. I'll be involved in pre-season and he has more or less said that I will get games."

Although Evans was willing to return to Sunderland next season and gain experience at the Stadium of Light, as a life-long Red he is understandably delighted to get his shot at his childhood dream.

"I want to play for Manchester United," he added. "I am a Manchester United fan and it has been my aim since I signed for the club to get into the first team. The incentive is there for me now and I want to be good enough to be playing for United."

Pleased about this. Hopefully Pique and Rossi will be back too.

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

Pleased about this. Hopefully Pique and Rossi will be back too.
Yup, cracking news and I concur on Pique and Rossi. Put yer faith in touth Fergie.

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Rhodzy

I hope Fergie puts his faith in the younger players next season

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
The Return of JC

Thumbs up

Good good.

The boy's done well so he deserves to part of the set up next year.

He'll have a job dislodging Vidic and then Brown, but time is on his side and it's all part of the challenge of healthy competition.

Signings are exciting, but nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing a youngster come through and develop.

(insert own joke about my satisfaction)

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Baron

Fergie's already said Pique will be back at the club next year on the 'fishal site, the only one he's not commented on as far as I can see is Rossi...

Linkage to quote from Fergie: <--- click

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Serenity Now

Could provide cover at left back if (when) Heinze goes, no? I understand it's not his preferred position, but from what I've heard he's equipped himself capably when asked to fill in there.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:34 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Fergie's already said Pique will be back at the club next year on the 'fishal site, the only one he's not commented on as far as I can see is Rossi...

Linkage to quote from Fergie: <--- click
i've a sneaky feeling that rossi could be a makeweight in a striker deal

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:40 PM
sharath

he has been excellent for NI and sunderland. he will easily get past brown as being the second choice for rio and vidic. pique will slowly do that too.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:43 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Could provide cover at left back if (when) Heinze goes, no? I understand it's not his preferred position, but from what I've heard he's equipped himself capably when asked to fill in there.
Is he left sided?

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:43 PM
S/Side.Red

I guess Silvestre will follow Heinze out the door if this is to be the case. Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, O'Shea, Evans and Pique would be decent central defensive options for next season.

Can't help thinking that either Evans or Pique will spend another year on loan somewhere, though.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:49 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Can't help thinking that either Evans or Pique will spend another year on loan somewhere, though.
Doubt it. Both have now it seems been promised they won't.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:49 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
i've a sneaky feeling that rossi could be a makeweight in a striker deal
Nah. Joe's staying.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Is he left sided?
No.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
No.
Oh.

So, a right sided centre half covering at left back?

I think we need to keep Silvestre is Heinze leaves.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Doubt it. Both have now it seems been promised they won't.
Rossi seemed to think he'd be here last season, both at the start of the season and in Janaury before he went to Parma.

With Vidic and Rio as first choice and Brown starting off as next in line, it's hard to see both Pique and Evans getting enough first team football to make it worth at this moment.

I reckon another year at Sunderland would do Evans good.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Whalefish

We're apparently selling two defenders and we're not signing cover for Gary (that'll be down to Wes and OH). I see no reason why Evans and Pique can't get enough games next season.

Sweep out some of the deadwood I say and start giving the youngsters a chance. Otherwise they'll leave.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Rossi seemed to think he'd be here last season, both at the start of the season and in Janaury before he went to Parma.

With Vidic and Rio as first choice and Brown starting off as next in line, it's hard to see both Pique and Evans getting enough first team football to make it worth at this moment.

I reckon another year at Sunderland would do Evans good.
I'm inclined to agree.

Unread 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Tensai

He won't make it, and will not play ahead of Vidic and Ferdinand...

What's the point...

Unread 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai
He won't make it, and will not play ahead of Vidic and Ferdinand...

What's the point...
Are you aware of the term "squad"?

Unread 05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Are you aware of the term "squad"?
Isn't that where you have 20-30 players of identical quality and therefore slag off players like Park, Brown and Smith because they're not as good as your best 11?
Closed Thread