United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-10-2023, 10:23 AM
AK14

Definitely.

Didn’t he line up Garay and another player for Moyes? So he was already planning to replace Vidic/Rio long term.

Unread 05-10-2023, 10:26 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He us also FULLY culpable for Moyes, a point missed by many, it's documented he met him a year before his Everton renewal and advised him he had the United job ..

:loco
Wtf.....

Was his mind going ? Was it snide legacy protection.... David £#%&!ing Moyes...
I mean, if you're a person who can't handle being outdone or your job made to look easier, you hire a complete loser who never has a chance. Think about it for a minute, David Moyes, ZERO trophies, battling relegation non stop replaces the greatest British manager of all time at a club that is now accustomed to at least winning 1 or 2 trophies every year? Something rotten in Denmark imo.

Unread 05-10-2023, 10:30 AM
Ethers

100%.

Easy to forget how absolutely dominant we were in his last season. We didn’t just win the league, we pissed it. The squad definitely needed future-proofing, but if he’d known he was staying on he’d have already started the process.

Unread 05-10-2023, 11:02 AM
shenwen

I'm afraid very little sours Ferguson's legacy for me. Everything is forgivable for the big man

Unread 05-10-2023, 11:06 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
100%.

Easy to forget how absolutely dominant we were in his last season. We didn’t just win the league, we pissed it. The squad definitely needed future-proofing, but if he’d known he was staying on he’d have already started the process.
And then Moyes came in and immediately started talking like they were no-hopers who had just about avoided relegation

Unread 05-10-2023, 11:17 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
When SAF left, the squad he left needed an overhaul. Now, I'm not asking if he'd have done better than Moyes that season but with everything that needed rebuilding, would he have won another league title before he got sacked?

Other questions:

Did he know how bad the situation (financially) was going to get so he knew he was going to struggle to renew his squad?

Did he realise that we just couldn't compete long term against City under the Glazers?

Would the Glazers have dicked him like they did Moyes in the transfer window or would he have got what he wanted?

Things wouldn't have been as bad if he stayed on, NQAT but to what degree?

Lastly, a bit more awkward:

Is SAF culpable with the Glazers, knew what was coming and kept his mouth shut because all he's interested in is chasing the Yankee dollar?
Would’ve won another title but definitely saw the writing on the wall. (Cow in a field… etc)

Frankly, disgusted with him taking their hush money to pile on top of his multi million pile. We should go and support Chelsea.

Incredible manager but seriously tarnished the legacy for me.

Unread 05-10-2023, 11:42 AM
red red robbo

Always thought he was worth at least 12 points a season more than another manager could have got out of the same squad*, so any season we finished within 12 points of top we'd have won.

* This is based on absolutely no evidence what so ever but it sounds like a considered opinion

I'm with bunks on the takeover being partly on him. I genuinely think that if he had come out against it and threatened to leave if it went ahead, some of the banks would have got the jitters and pulled their funding.

Unread 05-10-2023, 11:47 AM
Sparky***

Of course he would have

Unread 05-10-2023, 11:55 AM
jem

no. his last title was by default. his midfield was shit. much as I hate moyes, he did not inherit a title winning team; he inherited a team that had won the title.

the glazers would not have been different in any way.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:23 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no. his last title was by default. his midfield was shit. much as I hate moyes, he did not inherit a title winning team; he inherited a team that had won the title.

the glazers would not have been different in any way.
He certainly left it in a bad shape for someone like Moyes to manage but there were really only minor tweaks to be made at that stage to transition in to another team, which Ferguson would have done quite easily.

So would Mourinho. Yeah he’d have still done his three year boom/bust cycle but he’d have worked much better with that squad and left a better squad in place when he left. All our problems today lie with that gap between Ferguson leaving and Mourinho coming in imo.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:26 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHaaksbergen
Won 2 titles in 3 years after making that comment.
Hard to tell though. Team was deteriorating. Depends on who else he was able to recruit. RVPs don’t grow on trees. We’ll never know. Maybe there was some truth in his sudden devotion to Cathy but the writing was on the wall and I’m sure he got a cosy agreement from the Glazers to keep schtumm, and take a nice little earner.

Busby more or less did the same. They can’t switch off the gravy train.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:26 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
All our problems today lie with that gap between Ferguson leaving and Mourinho coming in imo.
This couldn’t be truer for me.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
He certainly left it in a bad shape for someone like Moyes to manage but there were really only minor tweaks to be made at that stage to transition in to another team, which Ferguson would have done quite easily.

So would Mourinho. Yeah he’d have still done his three year boom/bust cycle but he’d have worked much better with that squad and left a better squad in place when he left. All our problems today lie with that gap between Ferguson leaving and Mourinho coming in imo.
Truman.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:34 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
We’ll never know.
no shit. perfect fredster squabblefest.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:35 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Hard to tell though. Team was deteriorating. Depends on who else he was able to recruit. RVPs don’t grow on trees. We’ll never know. Maybe there was some truth in his sudden devotion to Cathy but the writing was on the wall and I’m sure he got a cosy agreement from the Glazers to keep schtumm, and take a nice little earner.

Busby more or less did the same. They can’t switch off the gravy train.
Oh, definitely re: the nice little earner. Legacy doesn't keep the horses fed and watered in the stable.

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:36 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Doesn’t stop you though

Unread 05-10-2023, 12:43 PM
AK14

Quote:

Ancelotti would have got something out if that squad too.

Moyes ffs… one of it not the worst decision made by a major sporting team in any sport for decades.

David £#%&!ing Moyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
And then Moyes came in and immediately started talking like they were no-hopers who had just about avoided relegation
Couple of months in and he came out with “we aspire to be like City”

£#%&!ing Scottish gimp.

Unread 05-10-2023, 02:02 PM
jem

Quote:
Doesn’t stop you though

Unread 05-10-2023, 02:04 PM
Mr_Ed

Have to say no…

Our last two years the rot was beginning to set in. We beat City and Chelsea but we’re outplayed for a large percentage of the games. We were king last our best and I believe he stretched the squad given their age and quality of players - he squeezed the best out of them till the very end.

Unread 05-10-2023, 03:04 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Legacy protection. His ego is huge, i’m not convinced he’d have wanted Mourinho to come in after him and retain.
Crazy way of thinking about your legacy from SAF.

Shankly to Paisley for the vermin sadly showed how to pass a legacy on properly. If Fergie had done that, the Glazers would probably have been even more happy with him as well. Unless it was his way of trying to get rid of the Glazers....
Closed Thread