windy waffles

Idiots. It's nothing to do with racism.

Unread 15-07-2021, 08:53 AM
Marvel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRR7ly3t...dium=copy_link

Your post is exactly why it is to do with racism.

Lots of pictures on that post, close ups of messages of support for Rashford, black and white people there, but you chose the picture of black people holding BLM flags to put up and then call them idiots and say it has nothing to do with racism. For Rashford, and the people in that picture, every day is about racism, sad reality but true

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRR7ly3t...dium=copy_link

What? The defacing of the mural has nothing to do with racism but being named as ‘one of the 3 n*****s that £#%&!ed up England’s chances’ all over social media I think possibly did.

There’s a question about proportion here which is a tricky one - should a few racist anonymous idiots posting on social media lead to such an outpouring of tearful candle vigil grief - I’m not sure. My take is that we generally live in a very fair and accepting country (compared with the states for eg) and I do think the positives of that should be highlighted and celebrated more than the negatives made hyper dramatic. But that’s not my shout because I’m not black.

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:15 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
But that’s not my shout because I’m not black.
dangerous line of though, imnvho.

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:23 AM
MUFC One Love

Isn't it really aimed at the racism he received online rather than what was written on the mural?

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
dangerous line of though, imnvho.
Correct. It’s a bit why can’t we vote on the issue of Scottish independence I guess.

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:52 AM
jem

Quote:
Correct. It’s a bit why can’t we vote on the issue of Scottish independence I guess.
it really isn't.

I mean... we could vote on throwing them out. but we should not get a vote to keep them in against their wishes. that is their choice. we should, however, get a shout in the sense that we can make representations on how valuable we feel the union is for both of us. we could try to persuade them to stay.

letting black people (bit narrow, but still) define racism and suggest solutions which must be adopted is ridiculous. they should have a say like everyone else and, clearly, they will have a particular experience and perspective which should be respected (assuming it isn't racist), but the idea that white people shouldn't get a shout because they're not black is total bullshit. everyone should be heard. it's all part of the stupidity of letting "victims" drive the process.

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:54 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Your post is exactly why it is to do with racism.

Lots of pictures on that post, close ups of messages of support for Rashford, black and white people there, but you chose the picture of black people holding BLM flags to put up and then call them idiots and say it has nothing to do with racism. For Rashford, and the people in that picture, every day is about racism, sad reality but true
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Isn't it really aimed at the racism he received online rather than what was written on the mural?
Both spot on.

Look at those "idiots" showing their support for a 23 year old lad that has been continually subjected to racist abuse

£#%&!ing state.

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:56 AM
windy waffles

Quote:

What? The defacing of the mural has nothing to do with racism but being named as ‘one of the 3 n*****s that f***ed up England’s chances’ all over social media I think possibly did.

There’s a question about proportion here which is a tricky one - should a few racist anonymous idiots posting on social media lead to such an outpouring of tearful candle vigil grief - I’m not sure. My take is that we generally live in a very fair and accepting country (compared with the states for eg) and I do think the positives of that should be highlighted and celebrated more than the negatives made hyper dramatic. But that’s not my shout because I’m not black.
It was aimed at Sancho and Rashford, was daubed in blue paint in Manchester.

Beckham had a burning effergy when he got sent off.

A few idiots online doesn't mean this mural being defaced by bitters was racism.

Unread 15-07-2021, 09:58 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Look at those "idiots" showing their support for a 23 year old lad that has been continually subjected to racist abuse
love rashford; hate racism. that's a good slogan.

black lives matter. no justice, no peace. nope.

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Yes.

The mural being reported as racial is obviously incorrect. But it seems that the mural itself is just serving as a convenient focal point for the wider protest against the issue of online racism.

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:01 AM
dunk

Quote:
Consideration was given to going on the operating table the day after Manchester United’s season finished in Europa League final defeat to Villarreal on May 26, but ultimately Rashford wanted to perform for England at the European Championship.

Rashford had continued to make himself available during the previous 24 weeks, so another month at most in a competition of great significance was judged as manageable.
Ah well. Hopefully a good rest of the lad. Get offline and £#%&! off to somewhere warm and remote for a few weeks.

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
love rashford; hate racism. that's a good slogan.

black lives matter. no justice, no peace. nope.
Maybe they really support the cause of fighting against racism, that BLM have put at the forefront of their aims, but also think that the people at the top of the organisation are incompetent and idiotic, and some of those people don't agree with all the other policies they put forward.

Sort of like people who voted for the the Conservative party just for Brexit, despite knowing that they were voting to put an absolute danger into No. 10, or something like that anyway

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:10 AM
redhegemony

Quote:

Sort of like people who voted for the the Conservative party just for Brexit, despite knowing that they were voting to put an absolute danger into No. 10, or something like that anyway

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:19 AM
jem

Quote:
Maybe they really support the cause of fighting against racism, that BLM have put at the forefront of their aims, but also think that the people at the top of the organisation are incompetent and idiotic, and some of those people don't agree with all the other policies they put forward.

maybe they should think about not using slogans that are politically charged to support a cause that everyone could get behind.

as for the rest... carry on.

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it really isn't.

I mean... we could vote on throwing them out. but we should not get a vote to keep them in against their wishes. that is their choice. we should, however, get a shout in the sense that we can make representations on how valuable we feel the union is for both of us. we could try to persuade them to stay.

letting black people (bit narrow, but still) define racism and suggest solutions which must be adopted is ridiculous. they should have a say like everyone else and, clearly, they will have a particular experience and perspective which should be respected (assuming it isn't racist), but the idea that white people shouldn't get a shout because they're not black is total bullshit. everyone should be heard. it's all part of the stupidity of letting "victims" drive the process.
I agree. It was a lazy comment. All people need to be involved in the conversation - just that listening to middle class/upper/ruling class privately educated incredibly white people like johnson (and you) impart their wisdom of ‘what should be done’ could be perceived by many affected minorities as being a joke. For the decision maker to be so so remote from the problem is always a challenge. Especially when the government of the day is openly piss taking and encouraging of divisions.

Unread 15-07-2021, 10:37 AM
jem

Quote:
I agree. It was a lazy comment. All people need to be involved in the conversation - just that listening to middle class/upper/ruling class privately educated incredibly white people like johnson (and you) impart their wisdom of ‘what should be done’ could be perceived by many affected minorities as being a joke. For the decision maker to be so so remote from the problem is always a challenge. Especially when the government of the day is openly piss taking and encouraging of divisions.
fair enough. I wouldn't want people to listen to any narrow section. I mean... I say narrow... but any section that puts johnson and me together is quite broad. not sure the phrase "incredibly white" is acceptable, but still....

Unread 15-07-2021, 01:46 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
It was aimed at Sancho and Rashford, was daubed in blue paint in Manchester.

Beckham had a burning effergy when he got sent off.

A few idiots online doesn't mean this mural being defaced by bitters was racism.

You're a good lad but absolutely thick as mince sometimes

Unread 16-07-2021, 10:35 AM
saffers

Quote:
Exactly but some people just want to be difficult for the sake of it.

Never easy to confront power. Respect to these guys in that picture.

Unread 16-07-2021, 11:53 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
You're a good lad but absolutely thick as mince sometimes
But not this time.

Some people hate Rashford because of the team he belongs to, others because of the colour of his skin. No doubt there are racist city fans who hate him for both.
Closed Thread