United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Take out Agüero’s and Fergie probably leaves that summer. We’d have at least the same league titles but we probably have Gill in charge of the succession season and maybe it’s not Moyes in the door. Makes that a clear choice tbh.
Yeah that was my thinking with the Pienar goal in the 4-4

I then re read the thread title and realised it didn’t have to directly involve us, so the Aguero goal would be the one.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Take out Agüero’s and Fergie probably leaves that summer. We’d have at least the same league titles but we probably have Gill in charge of the succession season and maybe it’s not Moyes in the door. Makes that a clear choice tbh.
Why is Gill rated so highly? One great summer in 2007, even then we managed to overpay for Hargreaves when he was available much more cheaply before.

Other than that our transfers negotiations weren't anything special (seemed like our competition for Rooney was Newcastle), and then from 09 he was as complicit in the value era which saw our rivals catch us up.

Chris Quayd

Quote:
Gill wanted Mou iirc.

S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yeah that was my thinking with the Pienar goal in the 4-4

I then re read the thread title and realised it didn’t have to directly involve us, so the Aguero goal would be the one.
Often with these questions you avoid messing with the universe. One change pre 99 could mean no treble etc. But removing the Agüero goal and us getting no20 in 2012? It couldn’t go any worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Why is Gill rated so highly? One great summer in 2007, even then we managed to overpay for Hargreaves when he was available much more cheaply before.

Other than that our transfers negotiations weren't anything special (seemed like our competition for Rooney was Newcastle), and then from 09 he was as complicit in the value era which saw our rivals catch us up.
He’s rated above Ed Woodward, that’s all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Gill wanted Mou iirc.
Would Mou have come in 2012 after beating Barca to the title?

I reckon yes tbh.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

The Iniesta goal against Chelsea.

If Chelsea had managed to go through instead we would have had a better chance at being the first team in many years to retain the Champions League

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Buck

That Porto goal at OT in 2004. Linesman flags for offside, we're through and nobody ever hears about Jose Mourinho again.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:10 PM
AK14

Quote:
Often with these questions you avoid messing with the universe. One change pre 99 could mean no treble etc. But removing the Agüero goal and us getting no20 in 2012? It couldn’t go any worse.
Could have meant City imploding after throwing so much at it and not winning it. Could have altered the timeline for Pep too

Liverpool would have won the league under Brenton? which wouldn't have been great tbf, but would mean he’d probably have had a job for life there meaning no Klopp?...

No fellaini
No Moyes
No Klopp at Liverpool
No Guardiola at City

£#%&!.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:10 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
That Porto goal at OT in 2004. Linesman flags for offside, we're through and nobody ever hears about Jose Mourinho again.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Could have meant City imploding after throwing so much at it and not winning it. Could have altered the timeline for Pep too

Liverpool would have won the league under Brenton? which wouldn't have been great tbf, but would mean he’d probably have had a job for life there meaning no Klopp?...

No fellaini
No Moyes
No Klopp at Liverpool
No Guardiola at City

£#%&!.
But still the Glazers and eventually no Fergie

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM
AK14

Quote:
Might have made us a bit complacent tbh.

Him at Chelsea really gave us and Fergie another push imo.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Buck

Quote:
Might have made us a bit complacent tbh.

Him at Chelsea really gave us and Fergie another push imo.
Now you mention Chelsea, Jesper Gronjaker's winner vs Liverpool. If he doesn't score they don't make it into the UCL, Abramovich doesn't buy, and the club goes into administration.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM
AK14

Quote:
Now you mention Chelsea, Jesper Gronjaker's winner vs Liverpool. If he doesn't score they don't make it into the UCL, Abramovich doesn't buy, and the club goes into administration.
Which other club was he looking at buying?

Wasn’t it one of the scousers?

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Zorg

Paul Dickov versus Gillingham in 1999.

They'd probably be playing FC by now.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Buck

Quote:

Tranmere

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:25 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Gill wanted Mou iirc.
Would have been a better immediate replacement then Moyes. He was still relevant back then.

Quote:
THIS!

I know, slightly contradicts my first reply. But I'd rather he has disappeared into obscurity than ended up being United manager at ANY time.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:27 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Paul Dickov versus Gillingham in 1999.

They'd probably be playing FC by now.
That's probably second for me.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Newcastle and Spurs I think, might be confusing him with the war criminals that bought city.

Quote:
If we're talking about alternative history, Gerrard scored a pen at OT towards the end of the '04 season that kick-started their push for top 4, he had also been sounded out by United players on England duty about a move to OT and been round to Roy Keane's house. No goal and Liverpool don't make the Champions League 04-05, no Istanbul and Gerrard becomes a United legend.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Buck

Quote:
Newcastle and Spurs I think, might be confusing him with the war criminals that bought city.

If we're talking about alternative history, Gerrard scored a pen at OT towards the end of the '04 season that kick-started their push for top 4, he had also been sounded out by United players on England duty about a move to OT and been round to Roy Keane's house. No goal and Liverpool don't make the Champions League 04-05, no Istanbul and Gerrard becomes a United legend.
First I've heard the story about him visiting Keane's house. No wonder Roy rates him higher than Jon Walters.

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM
AK14

Quote:
Tranmere

Quote:
Ah, think you’re right pal.

Can’t imagine either of those with Romans cash tbh, Newcastle would still be a load of shit probably

Unread 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM
windy waffles

The own goal I scored vs Salesians High School in 1999 whilst attempting to clear a corner kick. Still blame the goalkeeper to this day.
Closed Thread