Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:22 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Jesseh?
Yep. Would gladly have him.

Neves is definitely going and the most credible sources have been saying Utd right from the moment last season ended.

Wolves will replace him with Palinha, which I'd be OK with. Adding Lingard would give us something we need.

What would Lingard's wages be like? If he's on more than £70k p/week, this deal just fell through.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe

Neves is definitely going and the most credible sources have been saying Utd right from the moment last season ended.

Wolves will replace him with Palinha, which I'd be OK with. Adding Lingard would give us something we need.

What would Lingard's wages be like? If he's on more than £70k p/week, this deal just fell through.
New to United paying over the top wages?

He's on over £100k easily.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:24 AM
dunk

Quote:

I've seen a lot of talk that he'd be a better fit for us than Neves. Only seen him briefly tbh.

Jesseh's on about £120k a week I think £70k a week doesn't get you much from United's squad.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:27 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
New to United paying over the top wages?

He's on over £100k easily.
Christ.

Why do Utd do this?

Big dogs, I get it. Give them the fat salary. But squad players who then become unsellable seems like a mad strategy.

I heard we wanted to buy Dalot but his wages would have brought him on a par with Raul and Moutinho.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:33 AM
jem

Quote:
Why do Utd do this? .....squad players who then become unsellable seems like a mad strategy.
if we had a penny for every time this has been mentioned, we could pay for phil jones for a day. or half an hour. blink and you'll miss our contribution.

anyway.... how is raul's recuperation going? he's the one I'd purchase.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:38 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Christ.

Why do Utd do this?

Big dogs, I get it. Give them the fat salary. But squad players who then become unsellable seems like a mad strategy.

I heard we wanted to buy Dalot but his wages would have brought him on a par with Raul and Moutinho.
Because we’re run by idiots

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:42 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Christ.

Why do Utd do this?

Because we compete with the big European clubs at the top end and that means the wages of the other players get dragged up.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:43 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if we had a penny for every time this has been mentioned, we could pay for phil jones for a day. or half an hour. blink and you'll miss our contribution.

anyway.... how is raul's recuperation going? he's the one I'd purchase.
He's back. Played 30 minutes against Crewe on Saturday as our lads fell to brave/unlucky/corrupt 1-0 defeat. Honestly, he looked like he'd never been away. Mexicans are a tough people.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:47 AM
20LEgend1999

I thought Dalot was on £25k a week. Although I did read that on a website that said "Diogo Dalot plays for Manchester United in the Serie A".

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:50 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Because we compete with the big European clubs at the top end and that means the wages of the other players get dragged up.
Seems like it then restricts the club when making space in the squad becomes a necessity.

I'm thinking if someone like Bailly became surplus when Varane rocks up. Lots of clubs would want him, all would be able to afford to buy him, hardly any would be able to pay his wages. So you then have to loan them out until their contract runs out and pay half their wages. Then if you have 10 or 15 players in that bracket, it must cost a fortune.

In real terms, would Utd honestly be losing players like Lingard, Dalot, Bailly etc if they were paying them £70/£80k per week? I dunno, maybe they would.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:51 AM
jem

Quote:
He's back. Played 30 minutes against Crewe on Saturday as our lads fell to brave/unlucky/corrupt 1-0 defeat. Honestly, he looked like he'd never been away. Mexicans are a tough people.

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1417954209849303043
oh, yes.... forgot you lost your keeper as well.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:53 AM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
oh, yes.... forgot you lost your keeper as well.
Replaced him already. Can you guess what country he comes from?

Taking shots against John Ruddy is just a way to get the forwards a bit of confidence.

Unread 22-07-2021, 11:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Seems like it then restricts the club when making space in the squad becomes a necessity.

I'm thinking if someone like Bailly became surplus when Varane rocks up. Lots of clubs would want him, all would be able to afford to buy him, hardly any would be able to pay his wages. So you then have to loan them out until their contract runs out and pay half their wages. Then if you have 10 or 15 players in that bracket, it must cost a fortune.

In real terms, would Utd honestly be losing players like Lingard, Dalot, Bailly etc if they were paying them £70/£80k per week? I dunno, maybe they would.
Probably why they are so reluctant to make signings. I think they struggle to keep wages down because they've paid over the odds to tempt the wrong players, now everyone rocks up with ridiculous wage requirements.

Just gave Bailly a new 4 year deal btw we don't help ourselves.

Unread 22-07-2021, 12:05 PM
jem

Quote:
Replaced him already. Can you guess what country he comes from?

Taking shots against John Ruddy is just a way to get the forwards a bit of confidence.
yes, was just yanking your chain.

new manager, new keeper..... the theme continues. one day, mourinho will reveal he is jiminez's father, too.

Unread 22-07-2021, 12:06 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Probably why they are so reluctant to make signings. I think they struggle to keep wages down because they've paid over the odds to tempt the wrong players, now everyone rocks up with ridiculous wage requirements.

Just gave Bailly a new 4 year deal btw we don't help ourselves.
I sort of understand it in a normal organisation, top earners bringing everyone else's pay up. But I'd be amazed if Utd *need* to do it and it looks more like they choose to do it.

So if Bailly's on what, £30k, at Villareal. Utd sit him and his agent down and say, this is one of the biggest clubs in the world you're signing for and we're going to double your wages. I mean, he signs right? Am I being naive here?

Then if he comes to renew his deal and his agent is all like, but Pogba and Fernandes are earning x, so we want y. You just laugh in his face and wish him well in his future don't you?

I completely understand having a top wage and not being willing to break it, or all your elite players will want (and be able) to demand parity. But it seems sort of crazy if the fodder are getting wages influenced by the big-brand superstars just because they happen to be at the same club.

Unread 22-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I sort of understand it in a normal organisation, top earners bringing everyone else's pay up. But I'd be amazed if Utd *need* to do it and it looks more like they choose to do it.

So if Bailly's on what, £30k, at Villareal. Utd sit him and his agent down and say, this is one of the biggest clubs in the world you're signing for and we're going to double your wages. I mean, he signs right? Am I being naive here?

Then if he comes to renew his deal and his agent is all like, but Pogba and Fernandes are earning x, so we want y. You just laugh in his face and wish him well in his future don't you?

I completely understand having a top wage and not being willing to break it, or all your elite players will want (and be able) to demand parity. But it seems sort of crazy if the fodder are getting wages influenced by the big-brand superstars just because they happen to be at the same club.

I don't think there's any real logic to the way we conduct our wage talks these days. Long gone are the days where Keane, as our captain and one of our longest serving players, had to pull teeth to get the deal he wanted. That's how it should be in my opinion but the problem is there are plenty of top tier teams (chelsea, city, PSG basically) who have a bottomless pit and will happily pay players and their agents whatever they want. It has skewed the market.

That still doesn't excuse our shit show though.

Unread 22-07-2021, 01:56 PM
LaPaz

Quote:

Problem with that is in most cases you'd need to buy a replacement which will cost between £40m & £50m in a transfer fee and then pay the new player a wage probibly around the amount the the original player is asking.

Unread 29-07-2021, 05:22 PM
armchair

Not a done deal but at an advanced stage.

Unread 29-07-2021, 05:31 PM
Dr Stranger

I like him. Always have. Bit off the pace last season, but that whole Wolves side was starting to look stale.

We desperately need somebody good on the ball who can operate from deeper and play somewhat ambitious balls without surrendering possession. I don’t think we need an all-out defensive midfielder, just someone clever, mobile and composed on the ball.

He’s experienced but still young, knows Bruno, knows the league.

If we can get him for anywhere near the money being talked about (40m) we should be all over it IMO.

Varane, Sancho and him for £150m would be a near perfect summer of business.

Unread 29-07-2021, 10:26 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We desperately need somebody good on the ball who can operate from deeper and play somewhat ambitious balls without surrendering possession. I don’t think we need an all-out defensive midfielder, just someone clever, mobile and composed on the ball.
That’s Donnie.
Closed Thread