Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
No idea what that is supposed to be.
Tinkerbell

Unread 30-12-2020, 06:58 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Ah, the Fergie was shite tactically myth.

Perhaps one of the strangest myths that has ever existed.
His main skill was man management. He certainly wasn't tactically inept by any stretch, it's just that he had more ability to get a tune out of bad players than anyone else. That in itself plays down his tactical ability. Everyone decried Arsenal's lack of strength when we smashed them 8-2, but we had a midfield that day of Nani, Cleverley, Anderson and Young.

Unread 30-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Tinkerbell

Unread 30-12-2020, 07:15 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Obviously before your time

“When the legend becomes the fact print the legend”

Unread 30-12-2020, 08:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

He only knew how to shout at players and bribe officials, you know

Unread 30-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Cream

Another thing I remember about Fergie was him leaving a clearly injured player on until the 75th minute, at the earliest.

You're killing him!

Unread 30-12-2020, 11:42 PM
puressence

That Blackburn home game ffs

Unread 30-12-2020, 11:44 PM
AK14

Quote:

A 40 year managerial dominance and he was “tactically shit”

Unread 30-12-2020, 11:51 PM
Medlock

Not tactically shit at all. The point is that Fergie is the greatest of all time and not because he was the greatest tactician. But because he managed players and built teams. And knocked the vermin off their perch.

Unread 31-12-2020, 12:42 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Part of that was recognising that the game was evolving and he needed to stay ahead of it with new ideas. It took years for Wenger to figure out that he had to change to beat Allardyce's Bolton, for example.

Put Keano at right-back and we beat Ipswich 9-0. Genius.
Yes, management. £#%&! all to do with tactics or coaching ability from a manager. It’s not what a manager is about. Fergie knew what he wanted and got others to micro manage it.

Unread 31-12-2020, 12:46 AM
MagnificentSeven

fergie was one of the most tactically versatile managers. sometimes he knew he had to beat certain teams by playing defensively.

that's how he ended up winning 13 titles and two champions leagues. he knew the game from top to bottom.

Unread 31-12-2020, 12:48 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
A 40 year managerial dominance and he was “tactically shit”

Shit is relative. It wasn’t his strength. It’s not necessarily the important part of being a manager. Neither is coaching. Management is neither of those things.

Busby was similar.

Unread 31-12-2020, 01:16 AM
Dr Stranger

Saying one of the best managers of all time is tactically shit is like saying Federer or Nadal has a shit forehand.

He simply wouldn’t be as good as he is if he wasn’t tactically competent.

Unread 31-12-2020, 02:04 PM
NedKelly

Has there ever been a poster be so wrong about so many different things as jammy? Part of me thinks he’s taking the mick but he seems to genuinely get riled up himself when challenged, which goes against the entire ethos of the established wum.

There were multiple times in Ferguson’s career that the game moved on tactically, he literally adapted and evolved where almost every other manager ends up getting left behind. Look at Mourinho ffs - at one point he was tactically sound and had the game sussed out, now he’s vying for shit trophies and looking more and more like a dinosaur tactically speaking.

Ferguson identified his weaknesses as he went on and fixed them. Our journey in the CL throughout the 90s is another example of this. He was brilliant tactically.

Unread 31-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Has there ever been a poster be so wrong about so many different things as jammy? Part of me thinks he’s taking the mick but he seems to genuinely get riled up himself when challenged, which goes against the entire ethos of the established wum.

There were multiple times in Ferguson’s career that the game moved on tactically, he literally adapted and evolved where almost every other manager ends up getting left behind. Look at Mourinho ffs - at one point he was tactically sound and had the game sussed out, now he’s vying for shit trophies and looking more and more like a dinosaur tactically speaking.

Ferguson identified his weaknesses as he went on and fixed them. Our journey in the CL throughout the 90s is another example of this. He was brilliant tactically.
Also Fergie always had a very astute assistant to help him out.

Unread 31-12-2020, 07:58 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Also Fergie always had a very astute assistant to help him out.
Actually I think in the last few years that was a bit of a weakness. Phelan and Meulensteen were pretty unconvincing and standards were slipping. I kind of feel like Ole could use a more able assistant than Phelan, but maybe I'm being unfair.

Unread 31-12-2020, 08:26 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Actually I think in the last few years that was a bit of a weakness. Phelan and Meulensteen were pretty unconvincing and standards were slipping. I kind of feel like Ole could use a more able assistant than Phelan, but maybe I'm being unfair.
Not sure I agree with that. Considering with Phelan as assistant and Rene in a more prominent role we

Won 3 more league titles
Only reasons we didnt win the other 2 was due to a Drogba offside and Goal difference

Reached a further 2 champions league finals (which only happened to be against arguably the best team and the best player of all time)

2011 we won the league and reached a CL final with quite a poor squad in all fairness, Oshea, Gibson etc.. you can argue we recruited poor, but credit has to go them for achieving this considering some of the teams we fielded that year. You don't do that if you don't know what you're doing.

Unread 31-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Sloppy

Any more politics bores want a thread ban?

Unread 31-12-2020, 11:59 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

Plenty just scroll through the threads

Jammy is a good enough poster to remain above a lot of the blinkered nonsense and cabals and speak his own mind. Would rather hear his opinions than a lot of others on here tbh
Closed Thread