United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-04-2015, 08:51 PM
moyescaust

Default Late nineties early noughties or 2006-9 united.

The treble winners:

1. Won the treble including the champions league not losing a match in nine matches played against bayern Munich, Barcelona, juventus and inter Milan.
29 goals in 11 champions league matches on our way to glory.

2. 42 match ALL COMPETITION unbeaten run from December 98 to October 99 (taibi )

3. Three straight titles.

2006-9:

1. Three straight titles.

2. Won the champions league.

3. 25 match champions league unbeaten run.

I actually believe the 2006-7 season was the best we played out of the six seasons but no squad and facing mourinho in the cup final ( think gigs had a wrongly disallowed goal that match) meant we couldn't match the treble of 8 years earlier. Will never forget the matches at home to Roma and Milan.

The treble winners were obviously the greatest achieves and the character needed for those comebacks in the second half of that season

Unread 09-04-2015, 08:56 PM
silv

The last title we won by default was my favourite

Treble for me

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Chorlton74

the team of 94 wasn't bad. clearly hampered by that 3 man rule in europe, but the domestic football was £#%&!ing brilliant.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
the team of 94 wasn't bad. clearly hampered by that 3 man rule in europe, but the domestic football was £#%&!ing brilliant.
yep, the best united team in my lifetime.

out of the 2 choices above though, i would have to go to for the treble era as i was a home and away top red then, whereas i'd stopped going by 2006.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM
moyescaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
Memories of that team are not there for me as I hadn't yet started primary school.

The first match I can remember was the 95 cup final when everton beat us.

I've seen footage of that team but its not the same as actually remembering it.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Whip Hubley

2006-2009 for me on a personal level, simply because I attended a shitload of games compared to the treble 'era' when I was much younger. Ronaldo + Rooney at their peak CL 2008 final won't be beat in terms of the whole trip/experience. Exactly what anyone says of the '99 final who was there.

But my own bias aside, obviously the treble or '94 team. Incredible

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Pop

Minus present day Brown, that was a £#%&!ing brilliant starting eleven. If only Utd had managed to keep them all together for a bit longer. And Scholes was ten years younger

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Sparky***

The 1994 double team will always be my favourite, probably because i was a starstruck 13 year old watching them. I remember watching them and just feeling like they were invincible heroes. Had every single kit and my bedroom was a shrine of posters to United.

In latter years we've had better players and the football has been of a higher standard but the 90s for me will always be a special time when United played football at 100mph whilst the rest of the league were playing at 60. Until arsenal came along in 1998 nobody could really touch us.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Tiberian

07-10 is the best Utd have ever been in European football. The Treble team was more exciting but the superb defensive base of the latter team made it a much more solid and consistent force at the top level. Perhaps lacked a world class midfielder at the prime of their career, but there was great depth and options throughout the squad.

The Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham 99 midfield is difficult to vote against though.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:26 PM
moyescaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
07-10 is the best Utd have ever been in European football. The Treble team was more exciting but the superb defensive base of the latter team made it a much more solid and consistent force at the top level. Perhaps lacked a world class midfielder at the prime of their career, but there was great depth and options throughout the squad.

The Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham 99 midfield is difficult to vote against though.
I'm imaging a 4-3-3 including all of keane, scholes, beckham, giggs, ronaldo and Rooney.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyescaust
I'm imaging a 4-3-3 including all of keane, scholes, beckham, giggs, ronaldo and Rooney.
Probably looking at more of a 3-4-3 then pal. Maybe add Yorke or Cole in.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Ethers

Treble team all day, all day

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:35 PM
moyescaust

Maybe carrick for beckham for balance although I'm not sure a prime roy needs carrick tbh

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

The Chelsea q/f games the following year were the absolute peak, with Rooney in his element and Park shining bright along with Giggsy

The OP forgot to mention that both teams were World Champions btw.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Sparky***

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:39 PM
£#%&! KFC

it's not even close

we won the Treble in Spain

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:40 PM
moyescaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Stam
Rio
Vidic
Carrick
Keane
Scholes
Beckham
Giggs
Ronaldo
Rooney

Might say it lacks width but giggs, ronaldo and becks will move into the wide spaces.

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Happy days them

Unread 09-04-2015, 09:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyescaust
Stam
Rio
Vidic
Keane
Scholes
Beckham
Giggs