United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 26-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
and it's only a matter of time before ando gets a hattrick.

toxic is the new greening.
his goal today reminded me of Ronaldo at home to Sporting a couple of years ago - and Ronaldo missed!

motwyw

Unread 27-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

I do not buy into the thinking that Rooney will suddenly go to the next level because Ronaldo is gone. last year was the best season Rooney has had for Utd. the consistency of his performances and his technique was very impressive. Ronaldo worked very well with him, despite the oft spoken complaint that Rooney had to sacrifice himself for Ronaldo. Rooney will be marked even tighter this season.

If Berbatov and Rooney are to be a partnership then Rooney needs to play right up top. Berbatov is superior as the link striker IMO, fabulous close control. Rooney can play that role but I think he can be most effective pushed right up against the defence using his power and pace to unsettle them and create space.
sorry but last season was far from rooney's best. selective memory?

his first two seasons here were spectacular and he was head and shoulders above every other utd player and he was the best in the country to boot. he was certainly the best teenager in europe. I genuinely wondered if he would have a monopoly on utd player of the season for the next decade he was so good. he would regularly destroy defenses singlehandedly and do the most spectacular things. similar to ronaldo's last 3 seasons actually.

people who say rooney will be better off without Ronaldo don't know what the £#%&! they're talking about and only regurgitate that theory cos they heard some journalist say it or read a bit of the paper and accidentally embedded it into their brain. the same people who kid themselves that rooney was moved to the left purely because ronaldo was a liability on the right. if rooney was so good up front, we wouldnt have felt the need to move ronaldo there. and is it just me or do most of rooney's best performances come from the left where he can get involved and look good without having to do striker stuff like make the right runs and slot chances home?

I do worry about rooney. 2 ok/average seasons is fine. Ronaldo went through the same. But he hasnt shown any signs this pre-season that he would have a ronaldo like resurgence to top form where he'd be challenging for the player of the year awards. so many aspects of his game have deteriorated massively. dribbling, control, first touch, shooting, balance, pace, strength.

torres has overtaken him, messi and ronaldo have left him for dead, kaka is on another level. even stevie g has regained his position as most impressive scouser.

I really hope he can rediscover his inspired form, but I've gone from hopeful that the right signs will start showing to worried that the wrong signs are showing.

Unread 27-07-2009, 05:11 AM
borsuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I don't give a £#%&! what anyone says but I think our tours of Asia are excellent.

The teams we played are more of a test than some of the walking pace friendlies you see and today was an example where we were by far the better team, so we took the piss and played some breathtaking football.

Also, rightly or wrongly, our fans in the far east lap all of this up, meaning we'll generate even more fans/cash.

Michael Owen has surprised me. He's always £#%&!ing there when the ball is bouncing around the area and scoring 4 times will bode well for the new season. His confidence will be sky high, even though his goals mean £#%&! all.

Berbatov today was - absolutely unbelieavable to watch. Nani has looked good, Rooney has looked good, Macheda has scored a few - all these things add up to a team going in to the new season b#@&%! with confidence.

All in all, a very good tour imo. Next week in Munich will be a bigger test but I think we'll piss the games we're involved in.

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=108

Unread 27-07-2009, 05:15 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
people who say rooney will be better off without Ronaldo don't know what the £#%&! they're talking about and only regurgitate that theory cos they heard some journalist say it or read a bit of the paper and accidentally embedded it into their brain.
:£#%&!er:

no chance of you losing your form, eh?

Unread 27-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:

his first two seasons here were spectacular and he was head and shoulders above every other utd player and he was the best in the country to boot. he was certainly the best teenager in europe.
Just bear in mind that in his first two seasons he was playing with Kleberson, Djemba, Fletcher, Alan Smith, Bellion and a young and improving Ronaldo to name a few... the team has improved hugely since he signed

Your argument isn't much better beyond that so I've not quoted those parts.

Unread 27-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
i see berbatov is trying to be zlatan now.

embarrassing

Unread 27-07-2009, 09:02 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

embarrassing
its true.

its like saying nani is trying to be ronaldo yesterday.

nothing wrong with trying to emulate the better and more established player. (£40m+ eto and hleb biaaaath)

Unread 27-07-2009, 09:05 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
its true.

its like saying nani is trying to be ronaldo yesterday.

nothing wrong with trying to emulate the better and more established player. (£40m+ eto and hleb biaaaath)

getting very tedious now. try something else.

Unread 27-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Rossi the Red

Quote:

his first two seasons here were spectacular and he was head and shoulders above every other utd player and he was the best in the country to boot. he was certainly the best teenager in europe. I genuinely wondered if he would have a monopoly on utd player of the season for the next decade he was so good. he would regularly destroy defenses singlehandedly and do the most spectacular things. similar to ronaldo's last 3 seasons actually.

people who say rooney will be better off without Ronaldo don't know what the £#%&! they're talking about and only regurgitate that theory cos they heard some journalist say it or read a bit of the paper and accidentally embedded it into their brain. the same people who kid themselves that rooney was moved to the left purely because ronaldo was a liability on the right. if rooney was so good up front, we wouldnt have felt the need to move ronaldo there. and is it just me or do most of rooney's best performances come from the left where he can get involved and look good without having to do striker stuff like make the right runs and slot chances home?

I do worry about rooney. 2 ok/average seasons is fine. Ronaldo went through the same. But he hasnt shown any signs this pre-season that he would have a ronaldo like resurgence to top form where he'd be challenging for the player of the year awards. so many aspects of his game have deteriorated massively. dribbling, control, first touch, shooting, balance, pace, strength.

torres has overtaken him, messi and ronaldo have left him for dead, kaka is on another level. even stevie g has regained his position as most impressive scouser.

I really hope he can rediscover his inspired form, but I've gone from hopeful that the right signs will start showing to worried that the wrong signs are showing.
What a load of %@#$&!s.

Unread 27-07-2009, 10:16 AM
celtbion

Here is my less wummy argument and my trying to look beyond my not liking Ronaldo.

At it's very best, United's attack is a combination of 4-6 guys who can all get into double figures of a season with maybe one getting 20 odd goals. I think our football is at its most dynamic and difficult to stop when that has been the case.

When it shifts from this to one player doing most of the scoring, these guys have egos, missing chances and teammates just subtly tending to direct play more towards the "star", I think that affects confidence.

The star man becomes like a looming oak tree shading out everything else. It can seem perverse but I think, sometimes, you need to get the hatchet out and leave the new growth come true.

Utd have done well out of Ronaldo and Ronaldo out of Utd. Utd have gotten a great price for him. Money which, in the current climate, is a Godsend. My own belief is that United will be a stronger team next year without him when guys like Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda, Gibson, Valencia, Nani, Owen push on to try and prove that they can fill the gaps left my the "star" man.

But let's see.

Unread 27-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up

Didn't see the whole match but saw the goals

Loving that hat-trick from Giggsy

Unread 27-07-2009, 10:52 PM
magic_cantona

Well, missed these goals from t'other day and didn't see the performances from some of the 'shit' players in our squad, but that was quality.The opposition isn't the point, our players ability is. Tosic and Nani will start this season and it's an exciting prospect imo.I'm even warming to Michael Owen

Add Hargreaves, Valencia etc into the mix and we'll be right up there again this season.

Unread 27-07-2009, 10:58 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'm even warming to Michael Owen
reported.

Unread 27-07-2009, 11:01 PM
jem

will start what?

not games, surely?

I do hope he's not going to be one of fergie's "persisters". in spite of all the evidence.

nani - scholes - fletch - tosic

pre-season, forgiven. any other time... fergie out.

Unread 27-07-2009, 11:15 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
reported.
A few weeks back, I was wishing all sorts on him.Now, he's scoring, he's fit :bi:, and as long as he's doing that, he's welcome to marry my sister any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
will start what?

not games, surely?

I do hope he's not going to be one of fergie's "persisters". in spite of all the evidence.

nani - scholes - fletch - tosic

pre-season, forgiven. any other time... fergie out.
That's right, Tosic is shit Jem.Jem, everyone is shit.Everyone is shit Jem.

Unread 28-07-2009, 12:00 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
That's right, Tosic is shit Jem.Jem, everyone is shit.Everyone is shit Jem.
rooney is not shit.

berbatov is not shit.

hargreaves is not shit.

carrick is not shit.

van der sar is not shit.

ferdinand is not shit.

vidic is not shit.

evra is not shit.

rafael is not shit.

fabio is not shit.

macheda is not shit.

welbeck is not shit.

giggs is not shit.

I could go on. I think I've done enough to disprove your theory.

there are better players in the reserves than tosic.
Closed Thread