United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 30-06-2022, 01:28 PM
Sloppy

Default Nasa is about to release the ‘deepest image of the universe’ ever

NASA will unveil the James Webb Space Telescope's 1st science photos in July.

The main image release event will take place on July 12 at 10:30 a.m. EDT (1430 GMT).

James Webb Space Telescope 1st photos will include 'deepest image of our universe'

https://www.space.com/james-webb-spa...-images-teaser

Unread 30-06-2022, 04:31 PM
Drexl

I'll have a "b" please Bob

Unread 30-06-2022, 04:32 PM
silv

Will it be full of stars

Unread 30-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Will it be full of stars
Yes and, in the future, Starbucks.

Unread 30-06-2022, 04:39 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Will it be full of stars
You got a sneak preview?

Unread 30-06-2022, 04:40 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Yes and, in the future, Starbucks.

Always taking the piss aren't you, one of life's mochas.

Unread 10-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Sloppy

Unread 10-07-2022, 07:31 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Incredible stuff. Can't wait to see what the first results.

Unread 10-07-2022, 07:41 PM
naes_sean

Unread 10-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Bunker Buster

Incredible etc, but what's the point ?

Makes a nice poster for your wall .....

All that money could eradicate world hunger, homelessness etc, I'm in awe of space, but my god does it seem a massive waste of resources....

Unread 10-07-2022, 08:00 PM
andyroo

All extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake

Unread 10-07-2022, 08:00 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

All that money could eradicate world hunger, homelessness etc, I'm in awe of space, but my god does it seem a massive waste of resources....

Unread 10-07-2022, 08:07 PM
armchair

Quote:

it's either expansion of the human race across the universe or forced mass depopulation on earth.

Unread 10-07-2022, 08:12 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
it's either expansion of the human race across the universe or forced mass depopulation on earth.
we'll do nothing draconian for another 15/20 years, then have a global Manhattan Project style mad scramble to build carbon scrubbing plants hundreds of miles long in deserts, powered by solar

Unread 10-07-2022, 10:44 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Correct. We seem intent on conquering space while earth gets f***ed.

Will look forward to seeing pictures that will in no way shape or form affect f*** all though

Unread 10-07-2022, 10:47 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Correct. We seem intent on conquering space while earth gets f***ed.

Will look forward to seeing pictures that will in no way shape or form affect f*** all though
£9.7bn for some cool pictures......of stuff that even if we could travel at the speed of light we will never get too.....

Mars missions etc - ok.

Telescopes - nah

Unread 11-07-2022, 12:03 AM
Neo

Quote:

Is world hunger still a thing? Assume obesity is a bigger problem nowadays than starvation. Chatting to a few Muslim lads during Ramadan and questioned why they were fasting. Blank stares in reply. Surely a more apt-sacrifice in 2022 is going a month without internet use, as that’s a bigger levelling-up issue in the third world than hunger these days.

Space exploration will define our species. The search for meaning amongst the stars, the unknown answers that lie in the great beyond, the glorious or unspeakable truth waiting to be found.

Blows my mind to think we’re living in a time where the first human to step foot on another planet is currently walking amongst us on Earth. It will be the greatest event in the history of humanity to date. Far more important and valuable to the human story than finding homes for heroin addicts and free school meals for council estate kids.

Unread 11-07-2022, 12:14 AM
Bunker Buster

Is world hunger still an issue ?

Quote:
More than 48 million people are facing emergency levels of hunger, with the threat of acute malnut
Can't wait for tomorrow though when we get the first image from the telescope.....

Unread 11-07-2022, 12:27 AM
Neo

Quote:
Is world hunger still an issue ?

Can't wait for tomorrow though when we get the first image from the telescope.....
Not sure what your point is, tbh. World hunger is a far more complex problem to fix than simply throwing money at it, and even if money solved the problem, there are far worse places that it’s being squandered than space exploration.

In fact, space exploration is the one thing that may well unite the world towards a common goal over the next decade.

Unread 11-07-2022, 12:29 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Not sure what your point is, tbh. World hunger is a far more complex problem to fix than simply throwing money at it, and even if money solved the problem, there are far worse places that it’s being squandered than space exploration.

In fact, space exploration is the one thing that may well unite the world towards a common goal over the next decade.
I'm a big spsce fan mate, I just think this telescope is a huge waste of time, money and effort.....

So we get to see even more galaxies ? Nice one...