United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-10-2021, 08:32 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I genuinely don't think they're going to sack him unless it goes really off the charts bad. Like Moyes Bad.

If we finish outside top 4, then he'll get canned. But they're going to let him ride the season out until it becomes impossible to get top 4 imo. I cannot see them sacking him mid season.

They've really gone big time for the whole Fletcher-Carrick-Ole axis of Fergietude and that's what they're clinging to. I'm utterly convinced woodward and Richard Arnold have no plan B.
Yep. This.

They’re also not ambitious enough to do anything about it. Where other clubs would say “we need to save this season”, they’ll be happy to see how it goes.

They’ve made a complete overcorrection with the hasty appointments of LVG and Jose and now seem committed to this idea of ‘the United way’ regardless of any evidence that it might not be working.

I don’t think they have any actual faith in Ole, they’ve just painted themselves into a corner and have no exit strategy.

The only thing that will change the dynamic is a fan and/player revolt that would come from a horrendous run, but I think individual talent and the occasional spurt of confidence will see us get a few crack-papering results.

Unread 18-10-2021, 08:38 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

just a technicality but come what may they won't be sacking him. will go by mutual agreement.
also very unlikely it will be mid-season barring an absolute disaster. they'll want to keep the ship steady to make sure top4 is done and then spend time back channelling the replacement for the summer.

Unread 18-10-2021, 08:42 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yep. This.

They’re also not ambitious enough to do anything about it. Where other clubs would say “we need to save this season”, they’ll be happy to see how it goes.

They’ve made a complete overcorrection with the hasty appointments of LVG and Jose and now seem committed to this idea of ‘the United way’ regardless of any evidence that it might not be working.

I don’t think they have any actual faith in Ole, they’ve just painted themselves into a corner and have no exit strategy.

The only thing that will change the dynamic is a fan and/player revolt that would come from a horrendous run, but I think individual talent and the occasional spurt of confidence will see us get a few crack-papering results.
Like the one we are currently on and will continue for the next two weeks?

Look forward to it.

Unread 18-10-2021, 08:49 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Like the one we are currently on and will continue for the next two weeks?

Look forward to it.
It’s on the edge now, for sure. The Atalanta game is key because that one is actually winnable. Even if it’s ugly or lucky, if we win it, it’s another few weeks he’s bought himself.

Frankly, we lose that liverpool game if they show anything like they have in recent weeks.

How we lose matters too. Saturday was a shambles. If we’d played ok and maybe got £#%&!ed on a decision and a narrow loss, there’d be a little more sympathy.

If we get outplayed in each of our next two, the mood will rapidly change from one of support to one of hostility (we’re not there yet. Whatever his shortcomings, he remains loved).

I honestly believe any remotely positive result will buy him a LOT of time. These owners probably want to change less than they want success. They aren’t ambitious and they don’t care. They want to keep him. They’ll take any signs of life to do that.

I think we’ll win ugly on Wednesday. We’ll get the usual horse shit about how this needs to be a springboard, how well they all bounced back etc etc, before Liverpool comfortably beat us and the same questions start going round again.

I think we’ll do that until the end of the season before we miss out on top four.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:02 AM
Stickman

I actually dont think Liverpool will beat us. 2 out of the last 3 times they came to OT they were roundly expected to skud us and both were draws.

Then the one we were sort of expected to win we got dicked 4-2.

It will be 1-1. And you can quote me on that.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I actually dont think Liverpool will beat us. 2 out of the last 3 times they came to OT they were roundly expected to skud us and both were draws.

I admire your optimism, but for that to happen, the performances of both sides will need to change quite dramatically.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Stickman

Quote:
I admire your optimism, but for that to happen, the performances of both sides will need to change quite dramatically.
Wouldn’t surprise for a one off game. We badly need to avoid defeat, they can afford to draw.

I’m not even particularly optimistic that’s actually what I’d bet on if you gave me a grand and told me I only got the winnings if I picked the correct outcome.

I can see fairly dull affair.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Wouldn’t surprise for a one off game. We badly need to avoid defeat, they can afford to draw.

I’m not even particularly optimistic that’s actually what I’d bet on if you gave me a grand and told me I only got the winnings if I picked the correct outcome.

I can see fairly dull affair.
I get ya. Sometimes when a result looks so obvious, it doesn’t happen.

When we drew 1-1 with them a couple of years ago, I think they had dropped two points all season. They were overwhelming favourites and we were five minutes away from beating them.

A lot will depend on Wednesday too. If we can actual show some serious improvement, then we MIGHT have a little confidence going into that one.

I’m not holding my breath though.

The biggest concern is that our performances have pretty much all been bad this season. Even the good ones (Leeds, Newcastle) we surrendered the lead. That Newcastle game had some hairy moments in it too. We’re going to need to produce a performance from nothing.

Liverpool are another level to anything we’ve faced so far too. They’re so direct and ruthless that if they start picking holes in us, it could get seriously messy. We saw what a below par United does against an inform Liverpool last season - they bagged four and hit the post three times. And that was without Van Dijk.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:30 AM
windy waffles

Quote:

They will absolutely destroy us.

They are frightening at the moment and scoring goals for fun.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:32 AM
AK14

We’re going to get thumped.

No way this team get any sort of result at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
They will absolutely destroy us.

They are frightening at the moment and scoring goals for fun.
So are we…

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:35 AM
Stickman

Draw

Nqat

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:43 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Are you referring to being backed in terms of him having more time?

Because in the transfer market, all three (Ole, Jose, LVG) have been backed to a similar level. Moyes being the exception.
Just the easier job in general if we’re being honest. The predecessors were spending £20-30m to replace world class players. Solskjaer has just come in and replaced them with more expensive players.. and now we have better players to much amazement.

AWB is a better RB than Darmian (most of the time) and he cost more.
Maguire is better than Bailey, Rojo and Lindelof.. etc.

I’m guessing the players signed before Ole were the ones that fit the budget whilst rebuilding.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:46 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Draw

Nqat
Shows what a £#%&!ing shit show this all is too.

Start of the season we had people confidently predicting we’d finish above them, now if all goes well, if we find some form and they have an off day, we might get a home draw against them.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:47 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Start of the season we had people confidently predicting we’d finish above them, now if all goes well, if we find some form and they have an off day, we might get a home draw against them.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:52 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
He’s done a good job in getting us to back to back CL finishes and shipping shit out of the squad and bringing some exciting and talented players in.

Now, we need to actually do something with it and look like we’re progressing as a team.

He’s got the parts, he doesn’t know how to put it together.
Sounds like what we all hoped he'd do at the time, with a view to upgrading the manager if he couldn't step up once he'd sorted the squad out. Woodward hindered him with some extent with regards to asset protection (spreadsheet management and award of contracts to players we wouldn't piss on were they on fire) and we've now got a better squad on paper than we had at the start of his time.

As you allude to, he's done that well but the problem is that they're not learning from their mistakes and it seems that there's nobody on the coaching staff capable of fixing it. Bringing in Rene could fix it but the one thing we cannot afford to do is keep things as they are.

Unread 18-10-2021, 09:59 AM
Stickman

Quote:

Aye. Just shows you. I thought we’d have to get a bit better with the signings we made and they were on the way down.

Not so.

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

You had patty telling everyone they were being knee jerk and reactionary, and that Ole was the right man who knows what he’s doing; he’s now writing essays on why the entire team needs to be torn apart and rebuilt with a new manager at the helm.
Quote me or £#%&! off you obsessed little weirdo.

And I'm not wrong with what I said, if you don't agree then write something of real substance in reply for once.

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:19 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

And I'm not wrong with what I said, if you don't agree then write something of real substance in reply for once.
I did at the time you just chose to ignore it. We don’t need an overhaul of the squad, we need at most 3 signings and a decent coach and we will look a lot better.

Also were you not staunchly ‘Ole in’ until about a week ago? Must have been someone else called Patty writing essays on why he needs more time and posting Ole emojis all over the place.

You seem very sensitive, what with the bad rep and the insults. Really unnecessary.

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:33 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
I did at the time you just chose to ignore it. We don’t need an overhaul of the squad, we need at most 3 signings and a decent coach and we will look a lot better.
Is that all... 3 good signing and a 'decent coach'. You make it sound so simple...

What if that doesn't work three years down the line, just rinse and repeat for the 4th time?

Quote:
Also were you not staunchly ‘Ole in’ until about a week ago? Must have been someone else called Patty writing essays on why he needs more time and posting Ole emojis all over the place.

You seem very sensitive, what with the bad rep and the insults. Really unnecessary.
'Ole in', 'Ole out'

Position hasn't changed. If the players aren't convinced he's the right man, he needs to go, but only if we're going to do it properly. Otherwise what's the point. If we're just going to sack him, carry on as we are, get the first person we can think of to come in and hope things get better, then no, I don't think that's something we should be doing.

And you got bad repped because you posted shit. If you're going to call someone out, do it properly.

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:37 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Weird lie. You were posting laughing emojis when people were referencing how poor our performances were and how they hadn’t improved since deep into last season? You pointed to the Leeds and Newcastle matches as proof of how inappropriate it was to question the manager.

And now you’re writing essays questioning the manager whilst still putting in lines like ‘I stand by what I originally said’. When clearly you aren’t.

It’s only the internet pal. We all get it wrong. Next level insecurity when people can’t accept they might have misjudged something on an anonymous football forum. No one gives a £#%&! that people get things wrong - it’s the defensive claims that they didn’t that get picked up on.

Weird as £#%&!.
Closed Thread