United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Sparky***

Right, so i'm still struggling to see where this 'best team in the late 90s' is coming from.

Best team in 1998-1999? Oh yeah, definitely. Without doubt.

But really?

1996 - Uefa cup rotor volgograd.
1997 - knocked out in semis due to shite finishing
1998 - knocked out in quarters by monaco again due to shit finishing
1999 - we know what happened
2000 - knocked out in the quarters due to abysmal defending

Juventus got to 3 consecutive finals in the 90s and won just as many champions league titles in the 90s as united did.

Unread 29-07-2017, 06:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Right, so i'm still struggling to see where this 'best team in the late 90s' is coming from.

Best team in 1998-1999? Oh yeah, definitely. Without doubt.

But really?

1996 - Uefa cup rotor volgograd.
1997 - knocked out in semis due to shite finishing
1998 - knocked out in quarters by monaco again due to shit finishing
1999 - we know what happened
2000 - knocked out in the quarters due to abysmal defending

Juventus got to 3 consecutive finals in the 90s and won just as many champions league titles in the 90s as united did.
In fairness Throb even threw in the idea that we were the best team in Europe during the mid-90s too. Despite repeatedly having our arses handed to us in Europe while the likes of Barca, Milan and Ajax were around. Wum mixed with the rose tints imo.

Unread 29-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
In fairness Throb even threw in the idea that we were the best team in Europe during the mid-90s too. Despite repeatedly having our arses handed to us in Europe while the likes of Barca, Milan and Ajax were around. Wum mixed with the rose tints imo.
Anyone who watched Juventus turn up at old trafford in 1996/97 group stage could be under no doubt that they were a £#%&!ing top side. They beat us away with little fuss as well. Narrow defeats but both times you had the feeling that you'd have to do something special to beat this Juventus team.

The 3-2 win against them the following season felt like a huge moment - even though they were down to 10 men and we scored one of the most blatantly offside goals you'll ever see.

Unread 29-07-2017, 06:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Anyone who watched Juventus turn up at old trafford in 1996/97 group stage could be under no doubt that they were a £#%&!ing top side. They beat us away with little fuss as well. Narrow defeats but both times you had the feeling that you'd have to do something special to beat this Juventus team.

The 3-2 win against them the following season felt like a huge moment - even though they were down to 10 men and we scored one of the most blatantly offside goals you'll ever see.
Didn't remember the red card

I remember in '99 when they came to Old Trafford and had a lot of the ball and lots of control over the game in the first half, thinking we were still that step behind. Certainly felt that way ten minutes in over in Turin too. They were an incredible side, which is why that comeback was probably our most remarkable achievement. Teams just didn't do that against Juve. Nor Bayern either tbf

Unread 29-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

I remember in '99 when they came to Old Trafford and had a lot of the ball and lots of control over the game in the first half, thinking we were still that step behind. Certainly felt that way ten minutes in over in Turin too. They were an incredible side, which is why that comeback was probably our most remarkable achievement. Teams just didn't do that against Juve. Nor Bayern either tbf
It's forgivable mate it was probably past your bedtime

Unread 30-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Aka not hoofing it

Think I'd prefer hoofing it to that soul destroying shite from Sexton/van Gaa.... oh.....

Unread 30-07-2017, 05:43 AM
Stickman

Quote:

They dominated us that first half at OT, took the sting right out of us and made the half anti climatic.

Unread 30-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
not in the slightest. united took porto apart in the Q/F and then basically got mugged by 2 deflections against dortmund despite dominating them over 2 matches. dortmund then took juve apart in the final.

the following season united were brilliant in the group stages. it was injuries that decimated the team in the Q/F. juve knocked monaco out but the margins were very small, with 2 home pens and a late goal in each half in the 1st leg making the difference in dell alpi. an average real team beat juve in a dull final.

throw in the treble season and over those 3 seasons there was certainly no better team in europe than united, and for me we had the edge.

and anyone who sneers at the 94 united team cannot be taken seriously.

Unread 05-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Switching Off

Having a medical at Chelsea.

Unread 05-01-2018, 11:44 AM
AK14

£15m?

How far he's fallen. bet Everton are gutted they didn't cash in on him a few years ago when the press made out he was the next best thing.

Unread 05-01-2018, 11:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Having a medical at Chelsea.
Again...

Unread 05-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Pop

£15m? Was valued at £50m a few years back even before the market went batshit insane.

Useless @#%&!. Hope he shatters his pelvis.

Unread 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Ethers

Worth a punt at that price for them tbh. There’s a player in there somewhere.

Unread 05-01-2018, 12:03 PM
20 times

Another useless English player

Unread 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM
puressence

him and jack for 15 mill brilliant that

Unread 05-01-2018, 01:13 PM
RemisMoses

I can believe people still struggle understanding the Bosman rule.

Its £15m as hes out of contract, it was a lot more previously as he had years left on his contract. Its not hard to understand.

Not played since his horrific injury so that will knock a few quid off.

Unread 05-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Worth a punt at that price for them tbh. There’s a player in there somewhere.
Yup as underwhelming as he's been thus far £15m is a decent price for a player who should flourish under a manager like Conte. He'll probs helps him get his fitness back up to par too and overall effectiveness in games!

Although i'd imagine Danny Drinkwater wont be too pleased

Unread 05-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Stickman

Just hope they play him against us.

Turd

Unread 05-01-2018, 02:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Yup as underwhelming as he's been thus far £15m is a decent price for a player who should flourish under a manager like Conte. He'll probs helps him get his fitness back up to par too and overall effectiveness in games!

Although i'd imagine Danny Drinkwater wont be too pleased
Fabregas will be the one looking over his shoudler I'd imagine.

Unread 05-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Throb is right, that 1987/88 Liverpool team was bloody good. That someone like me is saying it is evidence enough
Still not a patch on Milan or Real Madrid at that time.
Closed Thread