United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Spiffy

Default Ronaldo's 'Bizarre' Walkout.

If you're expecting a late development forget it. Is this what happened?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Football.html
Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo is accustomed to leaving his stamp on Manchester United's performances, but substituting himself during a tense Premier League fixture while his team-mates are searching for a crucial breakthrough is certainly a first.
Just two days after the second jaw-dropping walk-out of Roy Keane's eventful career, Ronaldo managed to top his former United team-mate by walking off in the heat of battle.
Clutching his side after a heavy collision with the Sunderland midfielder Andy Reid, the newly-crowned European Footballer of the Year kicked the ball into touch, signalled his discomfort to the bench and the disappeared up the players' tunnel while a bemused Sir Alex Ferguson, serving the second of a two-match touchline ban, frantically telephoned his assistants to arrange a substitution.
Fortunately for Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic's winning goal one minute into stoppage time turned one point into three for United. But Ronaldo's disappearing act still overshadowed the Serbian's goal.
Ferguson said: "Cristiano had a kick on the hip. Wayne Rooney had something similar last season and it can be very painful. We'll see how he is on Monday morning, but we have Aalborg on Wednesday and Spurs at the weekend, so we will freshen it up.
"There was no need for him to come to the bench, though. The best thing is to get treatment straightaway. It was the sensible thing to do."
Whether Ferguson would have been so forgiving had Vidic not scored is open to debate, but the visitors would have stolen a point had they claimed a draw. Still, they at least showed the spirit that will be needed if they are to avoid relegation.
Keane's departure from the manager's position on Thursday has left the Wearsiders with a sizeable seat to fill. The former United coach, Ricky Sbragia, has been handed team responsibilities on a temporary basis, but Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Gordon Strachan have all emerged as strong contenders since Keane's resignation. Already, chairman Niall Quinn has received 30 'sensible' job applications.
Quinn said: "Roy was a dream to work with and will be very hard to replace. We will not get another like him, that's for sure. But we will look at all the available options, trawl around and come to a conclusion over the next couple of weeks."
With the likes of Steed Malbranque, El-Hadji Diouf, Andy Reid and Djibril Cisse in Sunderland's starting line-up, it was little surprise to see the home side claim a monopoly of the ball in the first-half.
With Carlos Tevez back on the bench following his four-goal midweek display against Blackburn, Ferguson once again turned to Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Dimitar Berbatov as his attacking trio and goalkeeper Marton (corr) Fulop did well to resist United's early onslaught.
The Hungarian denied the Bulgarian when he blocked Berbatov's twelfth minute effort and Fulop then had a narrow escape when Rooney's 25-yard strike from Ronaldo's free-kick lay-off crashed into a cluster of Sunderland defenders.
When Fulop completely missed the ball when attempting to punch a Ronaldo corner, the alarm bells began to ring for the visitors and from that moment on, Sunderland's back four became a back six as Sbragia's team dropped deeper and deeper to protect the goal being guarded by their second-choice goalkeeper.
The tactic did not help Sunderland's attacking ambition, but that was hardly the point. Every defensive body that Sunderland could muster merely added to the congestion in front Fulop's goal and United began to head up culs-de-sac with increasing regularity.
And when they did navigate a route through the tightly-packed blue-and-black shirts, Fulop was there for deny Rooney again before Darren Fletcher shot over from six yards after receiving Rafael's pass with his back to goal twelve yards out.
The chances continued to go begging and when substitute Tevez shot wide from six yards after Berbatov had headed narrowly over, the game appeared to be drifting towards a costly draw for United.
But Vidic's ninety-first minute goal, when he tapped in from six yards after Fulop had pushed Michael Carrick's shot onto the post, turned one point into three. It also left Sunderland with nothing, but with United creating 23 chances and the visitors none, Sbragia's team ended up with what they deserved.
Sbragia said: "We are very disappointed. We had a game-plan, but how many times have you seen United score in the last minute? They are the best in Europe, though, so that's what they can do."

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Wez

It was a bit chilly today

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM
marlo

he was injured and in unbearable pain. he was passed the ball and i think he passed it back and then was passed it again and couldnt go on so he kicked it out of play and walked off the pitch signalling to the bench to get him off.

before he left the pitch completely i think i remember seeing him still looking at at the bench to see if it was alright.

phelan however made a pigs ear of the whole situation.

-he didnt do anything
-didnt call saf and saf had to signal to him to pick up the phone
-didnt get anderson on who was at the touchline
-let the whole situation look so more different.

if i remember comrrectly a sunderland player did the same. just couldnt play on before a corner and started walking towards the bench and by the time he got to the sideline a sub was ready to come one.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
dunk

He got clattered trying to get a shot off, went in where he could get hurt but skied the shot and got a bang on the hip. Had some treatment, was obviously in pain, came back on and tried to continue, lasted 3 or 4 minutes, when the play was stopped for Anderson to come on for Fletcher, before the change was made, Ronaldo made his way towards the tunnel, whilst signaling to the bench that he couldn't continue and needed to be subbed.

Did nothing wrong that I could see. I suppose everyone would've been fine with it had he come off at the half way line, but he went straight to the tunnel. Of course, the fact that just a couple of minutes earlier he had been in discussion with the physio and was probably told to try it but take no chances means £#%&! all.

Nowt like a nothing story with an element of perceived controversy involving the best player in the World, huh.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
bobbledinho

Quote:
The departure itself was bizarre. Clearly in pain, the 23-year-old signalled he could not continue. But instead of waiting for a suitable break in play, Ronaldo merely headed to the touchline, then the tunnel, leaving his team-mates to continue with 10 men for a couple of minutes until Ryan Giggs could get ready.
http://www.skysports.com/football/ma...004009,00.html

Sky trying the same trick. I thought nothing of it at the time. It's pathetic when they try to engineer this sort of drama. He's played on after some bad challenges in the past so he was obviously beyond playing on tonight. Not up to him to sort substitutions out.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
http://www.skysports.com/football/ma...004009,00.html

Sky trying the same trick. I thought nothing of it at the time. It's pathetic when they try to engineer this sort of drama. He's played on after some bad challenges in the past so he was obviously beyond playing on tonight. Not up to him to sort substitutions out.
They are cheeky @#%&!s, 'didn't wait for a suitable break in play' the game was stopped and we were about to make a substitution

£#%&!ing parasites.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Luffy

Clealy even Utd fans who did not see the match are susceptible to be fooled by such a story.

This is why Utd fans above all other people in this country should be immune to the press and their bullshit. I really can't understand the bunch of utd fans who still believe what they read, or fail to read between the lines at least. Clearly have zero concept of the way a journalist can twist words and actions into whatever they want - despite it being in countless films, soaps etc etc. Its basically a cliche everyone fails to see.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:19 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
he was injured and in unbearable pain. he was passed the ball and i think he passed it back and then was passed it again and couldnt go on so he kicked it out of play and walked off the pitch signalling to the bench to get him off.

before he left the pitch completely i think i remember seeing him still looking at at the bench to see if it was alright.

-he didnt do anything

if i remember comrrectly a sunderland player did the same. just couldnt play on before a corner and started walking towards the bench and by the time he got to the sideline a sub was ready to come one.
Giggs was coming on so needed an extra 2 minuted for his hamstrings

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:20 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
Clealy even Utd fans who did not see the match are susceptible to be fooled by such a story.

This is why Utd fans above all other people in this country should be immune to the press and their bullshit. I really can't understand the bunch of utd fans who still believe what they read, or fail to read between the lines at least. Clearly have zero concept of the way a journalist can twist words and actions into whatever they want - despite it being in countless films, soaps etc etc. Its basically a cliche everyone fails to see.
Some that watched it and some that were there have convinced themselves that Ronaldo acted the @#%&!. It's a sad state of affairs, there are a lot of United fans desperate for him to be a @#%&! and suffer.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Some that watched it and some that were there have convinced themselves that Ronaldo acted the @#%&!. It's a sad state of affairs, there are a lot of United fans desperate for him to be a @#%&! and suffer.
its like some people haven't evolved or something.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:32 AM
TravellingRed

Unbelievable. I watched the game and just thought, he must have just hurt himself there hes going off. These #@&%!s look for anything to get at him/united. If JT/ironman/lionheart/englishs hero had of gone off would they be looking for shit like this? I dont think so. £#%&!ers.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:39 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
Unbelievable. I watched the game and just thought, he must have just hurt himself there hes going off. These #@&%!s look for anything to get at him/united. If JT/ironman/lionheart/englishs hero had of gone off would they be looking for shit like this? I dont think so. £#%&!ers.
If JT would have gone off like that, the Queen would have been waiting in the tunnel for him with a Victoria Cross.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
If JT/ironman/lionheart/englishs hero had of gone off would they be looking for shit like this? I dont think so. £#%&!ers.
If JT had done the same thing, he'd be hailed a hero for seeking treatment for the injury straight away.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Tumescent Throb

i thought it was a bit odd

Rafael ran on for a return pass, Ronaldo passed it behind him totally £#%&!ing it up and then clutched his "injury" in embarrassment. he then made his excuses and left.

probably double booked for a Heat photoshoot or something, you know what he's like

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:53 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Rafael ran on for a return pass, Ronaldo passed it behind him totally £#%&!ing it up and then clutched his "injury" in embarrassment. he then made his excuses and left.

probably double booked for a Heat photoshoot or something, you know what he's like
Secret meeting with Pedrag Mijatovic more like.........

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Secret meeting with Pedrag Mijatovic more like.........
Gypos Monthly?

Unread 07-12-2008, 02:40 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman

-he didnt do anything

sorry but how the £#%&! do you know he was in unbearable pain? are you his doctor or his girlfriend or summat?
he acted like a spoilt petulant brat that he has become, stop apologising for him, it's gay.

Unread 07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Aye, soft @#%&! that he is...

Unread 07-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Grimson

Also from Sky:

'Ronaldo fooled almost everyone when he played a free-kick square to Wayne Rooney after lining up a shot himself. Fulop's save was not convincing but this time Collins charged in to punt clear as Berbatov moved in for the kill.'

That was an absolutely brilliant save, Berbs having deflected it. Makes you wonder if they even watch the match, or just write these reports from the live text feed.

Unread 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Bunker Buster

Sell the @#%&!.
Closed Thread